New Year’s Eve in Melbourne 2020/2021 | Fireworks, restaurants and events
Melbourne, the countdown is on to ring in the New Year. Here's how to do it in style.
Updated . What changed?
We’re committed to our readers and editorial independence. We don’t compare all products in the market and may receive compensation when we refer you to our partners, but this does not influence our opinions or reviews. Learn more about Finder.
New Year's Eve is knocking on your door. To inspire you to start 2020 off with a bang, we've rustled up the best restaurants with views of the fireworks, tickets to the hottest parties and cruises on the river to celebrate at.
Plus, we've also got the lowdown on rooms to book to crash when the night has come to an end.
We're yet to receive confirmation about the Melbourne New Year's Eve events that will be going ahead this year, but we'll update this page with the latest information.
Let the countdown begin.
New Year's Eve fireworks in Melbourne: Times and vantage points
Melbourne welcomes two sets of fireworks; a family friendly set at 9:30pm at Yarra and Footscray Parks and midnight fireworks along the river.
The 2020/2021 fireworks haven't been announced yet but the schedule and vantage points don't typically change. To give you an idea of where you should be this year, here were the official sites where you could watch the midnight fireworks from on New Year's Eve in Melbourne. Just click on the viewing areas on the map to see what time the fireworks began:
Official viewing area with food for sale
Unofficial viewing area with no food for sale
What is Melbourne doing for New Year's Eve to ensure it's COVID-safe?
Likely to diminish the size of crowds and keep things COVID-safe after the city's outbreak earlier in the year, Melbourne is not putting on a firework show for 2020/2021. Instead, it's opting for a two-day, ticketed street festival.
- Cruises: River cruises are still running on New Year's Eve, but keep in mind the boats aren't very large and social distancing restrictions will likely be in play. To avoid disappointment as tickets may be more limited than previous years, book well in advance.
- Restaurants and events: Restaurants will be able to accommodate patrons on New Year's Eve, as long as restrictions don't change by 31 December. Up to 100 people can dine inside 1 venue, with up to 20 in each indoor space. You will need to ensure there are 4 square metres per person. If you're going to an outdoor venue, the number of attendees increases to 200 people with just 2 square metres of space per person.
- Getting around safely: A New Year's Eve timetable hasn't been announced yet, but Melbourne usually puts on additional train services from 8pm. Marks are required on public transport.
Celebrating New Year's Eve at home in Melbourne: What's allowed
While restrictions on gathering sizes in late December haven't been announced yet, as of 22 November, the following restrictions apply on gatherings – which should include any New Year's Eve parties.
As of the time of writing, face masks are still required to be worn while out in public.
- Gathering sizes indoors: You can have up to 10 people in 1 household at a time, if hosting a party indoors.
- Gathering sizes outdoors: You're able to have up to 50 people gathering together (which doesn't include children younger than 12 months) if you're gathering outdoors.
- Airing of New Year's Eve fireworks on TV: While Melbourne isn't going to have its own fireworks for 2020/2021, you are able to stream the Sydney fireworks (as it's in the same time zone), if you're looking for a show as the clock strikes midnight. The show will be televised on ABC.
New Year's Eve Melbourne restaurants
Due to COVID-19, many restaurants have not yet confirmed whether they'll be offering dining options on New Year's Eve. The following restaurants have announced they wll be opening their doors on New Year's Eve so you can dine in style to close out the year.
- Amora Hotel Riverwalk: Located on the banks of Yarra River, ring in 2021 with a six-course set menu accompanied with a beverage package. Get into the festive spirit with New Year's Eve decorations on each table and enjoy live entertainment throughout the night. Tickets $150 per adult, $95 per teenager (13 - 17 years), $60 per child (3 - 12 years). Children under 3 are free.
- The Meat and Wine Co: Ideally located in Southbank along the Yarra River, sit down to a three-course menu beginning and ending with selected beverages. Tickets $158 per person for the Ultimate NYE Experience package.
New Year’s Eve Melbourne cruises:
Cruises along the Yarra River and Port Phillip Bay are available on New Year's Eve and you can get a whole different perspective of the midnight fireworks than you would on land.
Our top pick:
Melbourne New Year's Eve cruise from Viator
Celebrate the New Year in style with a Yarra River party Cruise.
- Inclusions: 4-hour party aboard a deluxe boat, standup cocktail finger dinner and more.
- Date: 31 December 2020.
- Departure Point: Federation Wharf
Is your cruise missing from this list?
What to do on New Year's Eve in Melbourne: Top NYE events and parties
Events have not yet been announced for New Year's Eve. We'll be sure to update the page when you can grab your golden ticket to the biggest parties to close out 2020.
Hotels in Melbourne for New Years
Searching for a room with a view on New Year's Eve in Melbourne? Check out our picks for where to stay or search below to compare rates at more Melbourne hotels.
DoubleTree by Hilton Melbourne
Adina Apartment Hotel Melbourne Northbank
Clarion Suites Gateway
Sofitel Melbourne on Collins
See the latest Melbourne deals
More guides on Finder
How to watch Sydney’s New Year’s Eve fireworks | Frontline workers have priority access, but you still have options
The Sydney New Year's Eve fireworks have been given the green light for 2020/2021. Here's how to enjoy them in a COVIDSafe way while still distancing.
Morphe New Year’s Eve 2019 collection: When and where you can shop
This is your first look at Morphe's New Year's Eve 2019 collection – see all the products (and swatches) here.
Best places to visit in December 2020 for Australians
It’s beginning to look a lot like Christmas in these delectable destinations!
100 New Years Eve dresses under $100 for 2020
See our top picks for New Years Eve dresses, all they're all under $100. Plus, you can read our style-inspo edit.
4 sailings that will have you celebrating New Year’s Eve on a cruise
Ring in the new year at sea with these celebratory New Year's Eve cruises.
New Year’s Eve in Darwin 2020/2021 | What’s happening on NYE
The ultimate guide to New Year's Eve celebratory dinners, cruises, hotels and fireworks in Darwin.
New Year’s Eve in Byron Bay 2020/2021 | What’s happening on NYE
What's on in Byron Bay on New Year's Eve, including NYE dinner packages, parties and events throughout town.
New Year’s Eve in Cairns 2020/2021
The best vantage points, restaurants and parties to ring in the new year in Cairns.
New Year’s Eve in Hobart 2020/2021 | What’s happening on NYE
The best events, firework viewpoints and hotels to book for New Year’s Eve in Hobart.
New Year’s Eve on the Gold Coast 2020/2021 | What’s happening on NYE
From prime vantage points to cruises, island parties to restaurants, here's your hot list of where to celebrate New Year's Eve on the Gold Coast.
Ask an Expert