New Year’s Eve in Canberra 2019/20 | What’s happening on NYE
Where to party in Australia's capital on 31 December.
New Year's Eve brings the party to the streets in Canberra with a wealth of live entertainment and kid-friendly activities to regale the crowds.
If you're planning to be in the nation's capital for New Year's, you won't be short of fireworks with the city due to be dressed in light come the stroke of midnight.
Want to know the best spots to catch the action and ring in the new year? We've got the goss right here.
Where to watch the Canberra New Year’s Eve fireworks
- Civic Square: For families, Civic Square was the place to be. Last year it boasted a family concert in an alcohol- and glass-free environment that started at 7:30pm until midnight. For this year the full program is still to be announced. Stay tune!
- Lake Burley Griffin: For a vantage point away from the parties, anywhere on the foreshore of Lake Burley Griffin made for a beautiful spot to witness the fireworks as they were launched over the lake. Commonwealth Park and Kings Park were just a couple of options to keep at front of mind.
Best New Year’s Eve dinner specials in Canberra
Restaurants across Canberra were celebrating the new year in style. Here are some of our top picks for 2019/2020:
- Banana Leaf: The Sri Lankan restaurant moments from London Circuit usually offers a multi-course dinner. Price TBC.
- Redsalt: Housed within Crowne Plaza, Redsalt is celebrating with a buffet dinner featuring a generous array of seafood, roasts, desserts and salads. A selection of drinks is also included. Price TBC.
Best New Year’s Eve parties and events in Canberra
Clubs and parties were a big go-to this past new year's, and here's some of what was on offer. The list will be updated as this year's events are confirmed.
- Lucy's Speakeasy: Self-proclaimed to be the hottest party in town, Lucy's Speakeasy is celebrating this year with a 5-hour drinks package, interactive marketplace menu and entertainment from 8pm–1am. Tickets TBC.
- Glamour & Grunge @ Polit Bar: ’20s and ’00s come together for a fun night of glamour ('20s) and grunge ('00s). It's hosted by Tammy Paks who promises to "partake in her paganistic party rituals" and then some. Tickets TBC.
- Circus Night @ Cube: This 14-hour marathon of a party is for those who like to go long, running from 9pm on New Year's Eve and calling it a night at 11am New Year's Day. Circus is the theme of the night and as such you should expect roaming clowns, face painting, balloon making and jelly shots… while stocks last! Tickets TBC.
- NYE Banquet at Casino Canberra: Start your 2020 on a high by counting down the seconds with the high rollers at Casino Canberra. The venue is set to sizzle with drinks, food, live entertainment, dancing and more. Tickets from $159.
Ask an Expert