New Year’s Eve in Canberra 2020/2021 | What’s happening on NYE
Where to celebrate in Australia's capital on 31 December.
We’re reader-supported and may be paid when you visit links to partner sites. We don’t compare all products in the market, but we’re working on it!
The below information is for New Year's Eve 2020/2021. We'll update this page with information about the 2021/2022 events once available.
New Year's Eve brings the party to the streets in Canberra with a wealth of live entertainment and kid-friendly activities to regale the crowds.
Although Canberra's New Year's Eve fireworks display will not go ahead this year, here are the things that you can get up to instead.
Where to watch the Canberra NYE fireworks
All the fireworks displays have been cancelled for 2020/2021.
Last year Civic Square and Garema Place were the two main hubs for New Year's Eve celebrations and parties in Canberra. They are also prime spots for catching the 9pm and midnight fireworks which were launched from City Hill and numerous other spots over Lake Burley Griffin.
Best New Year’s Eve Canberra restaurants
Restaurants across Canberra are celebrating the new year in style. Here's the events that have been confirmed for 2020/2021:
- Southern Cross Yacht Club: Ring in 2021 with a five-course dinner accompanied with bar facilities and lakeside views.
- Canberra Labor Club Belconnen: Close out 2020 with live entertainment, a glass of champagne on arrival and a selection of bistro specials to choose from. Music starts from 9pm.
- QT Lounge: Celebrate the new year with incredible 15th-floor rooftop views, a delightful degustation menu and matching wines to bring the evening together.
- QT Capitol Bar and Grill: Enjoy a meal fit for royals with a glass of bubbly on arrival to finish off the year that was.
- Lazy Su: Immerse yourself in great music, a selection of drinks and a $99 NYE special banquet for you and your entourage to indulge in.
- The Dickson Tradies: Take the stress out of cooking this NYE by heading down to The Tradies for a two-course meal. Vegetarian and gluten-free options available. Bookings from 6pm-10pm.
Things to do on New Year's Eve in Canberra
Finish off 2020 with a bang with these epic experiences that are available on 31 December.
Explore Canberra's Capital City Landmarks
Jet Flight Simulation Challenge
Best New Year’s Eve parties and events in Canberra
Clubs and parties were a big go-to this past New Year's Eve, and here's some of what was on offer. The list is updated with this year's confirmed events.
- Three-night food celebration: With the cancellation of the 2020/2021 fireworks, the city still wants to help you celebrate the end of the year. For three nights (29 December - 31 December 2020) you can head to Canberra's foodie destinations for the finest flavours, busker-style live performances in the streets and festive lighting throughout the areas. Choose from:
- Anketell Street in Tuggeranong
- Bradley Street in Woden
- Hibberson Street in Gungahlin
- Lathlain Street in Belconnen
- Lonsdale Street in Braddon
- Northbourne Avenue in Canberra City
- NYE Banquet at Casino Canberra: Start the new year on a high by counting down the seconds with the high rollers at Casino Canberra. The venue is set to sizzle with drinks, food, live entertainment, dancing and more.
- New Year at Hustler: Bring in the new year with live music, an arcade, pool tables and a whole ton of fun. Runs from 9pm until late.
- TFI 2021 NYE Party: Enjoy the room of two dance floors, live music and two DJ's as you say goodbye to 2020 at Reload Bar & Games.
Is your event missing from this list?
Where to stay on New Year's Eve in Canberra
Crowne Plaza Canberra
Peppers Gallery Canberra
See the latest Canberra deals
More guides on Finder
How to watch Sydney’s New Year’s Eve fireworks | Ticketholders have access, but you still have options [Updated]
The Sydney New Year's Eve fireworks have been given the green light for 2020/2021. Here's how to enjoy them in a COVIDSafe way while still distancing.
Make Up For Ever Chinese New Year 2020: What’s in the collection?
Start the new year the right way with this stunning collection of high-performance products.
What’s in the ColourPop Cosmetics Lunar New Year 2020 collection?
Start your new year feeling lucky with this adorable collection celebrating the Year of the Rat.
What’s in the Converse Chinese New Year 2020 collection?
Converse is set to celebrate the Year of the Rat with an all new sneaker and apparel range.
Morphe New Year’s Eve 2019 collection: When and where you can shop
This is your first look at Morphe's New Year's Eve 2019 collection – see all the products (and swatches) here.
8 Australian summer destinations to plan your holidays around
We’ve got the best Aussie destinations to get the most out of the summer sunshine.
What’s in the MAC Cosmetics Lunar New Year collection 2019?
Find out when you can get your hands on the coveted Lunar New Year collection for 2019.
15 best Christmas holiday destinations for Australians 2021
Find the Christmas holiday that’s perfect for you, from festive escapes to beach-blessed cities, with our Christmas holiday destination, booking and deals guide.
Fly to Asia from $599 return for Chinese New Year with Cathay Pacific
EXPIRED: It's not too late to celebrate Chinese New Year in Asia with these hot flight deals to China, Japan, Taiwan and more.
Best shoes to wear on New Year’s Eve 2021
If you’re going to dance until the clock strikes twelve, you’ll want to wear the right shoes. Find your perfect pair with our guide.
Ask an Expert