New Year’s Eve in Canberra 2020/2021 | What’s happening on NYE
Where to party in Australia's capital on 31 December.
Updated . What changed?
We’re committed to our readers and editorial independence. We don’t compare all products in the market and may receive compensation when we refer you to our partners, but this does not influence our opinions or reviews. Learn more about Finder.
New Year's Eve brings the party to the streets in Canberra with a wealth of live entertainment and kid-friendly activities to regale the crowds.
If you're planning to be in the nation's capital for New Year's, you won't be short of fireworks with the city due to be dressed in light come the stroke of midnight.
Want to know the best spots to catch the action and ring in the new year? We've got the details right here.
Where to watch the Canberra NYE fireworks
While the plans for the 2020/2021 fireworks haven't been announced yet, there were three sets going off last year. Civic Square and Garema Place were the two main hubs for New Year's Eve celebrations and parties in Canberra. They are also prime spots for catching the 9pm and midnight fireworks which were launched from City Hill and numerous other spots over Lake Burley Griffin.
- Civic Square: For families, Civic Square is the place to be. It boasts a family concert in an alcohol- and glass-free environment from 6pm until midnight. The entertainment will halt at 9pm for the family fireworks and then the main event at midnight.
- Lake Burley Griffin: For a vantage point away from the parties, anywhere on the foreshore of Lake Burley Griffin made for a beautiful spot to witness the fireworks as they were launched over the lake. Commonwealth Park and Kings Park were just a couple of options to keep at front of mind.
Best New Year’s Eve Canberra restaurants
With New Year's Eve still a couple of months away, there haven't been too many specials announced yet. We'll update this space as soon as we find out about more events happening in Hobart. Here's what went on last year:
- Summer in Paris at National Arboretum: A night of fun, food and entertainment at Canberra's National Arboretum can be expected on New Year's Eve. This annual event welcomes you with bubbles and canapes on arrival and continues the celebration with a 3-course dinner and beverage package. Make sure you dress to theme as there is also a photobooth to secure those NYE memories.
- Southern Cross Canberra Yacht Club: While its Woden and Jamison venues are ringing in the new year too, the place to be for the fireworks is the SCC Yacht Club. If you're keen to get on the water, there is a 9pm and midnight fireworks cruise with dinner and drinks on board.
- Promenade Cafe @ Hyatt Hotel Canberra: No stranger to a celebration, the Hyatt loves to throw a party whether it's for Christmas or New Years.
- Otis Dining Hall: This hatted Kingston restaurant often boasts a set menu on 31 December. It's guaranteed to be a show-stopper.
- Redsalt: Housed within Crowne Plaza, Redsalt is celebrates with a dinner featuring a generous array of seafood, roasts, desserts and salads.
Best New Year’s Eve parties and events in Canberra
Clubs and parties were a big go-to this past new year's, and here's some of what was on offer. The list will be updated as this year's events are confirmed.
- Lucy's Speakeasy: Self-proclaimed as the hottest party in town, Lucy's Speakeasy typically celebrates with a 5-hour drinks package, interactive marketplace menu and entertainment from 8pm–1am.
- Cube: This 7-hour marathon of a party is for those who like to go long, running from 10pm on New Year's Eve and calling it a night at 5am New Year's Day. Last year Circus was the theme of the night - this year it's anyone's guess!
- NYE Banquet at Casino Canberra: Start your 2020 on a high by counting down the seconds with the high rollers at Casino Canberra. The venue is set to sizzle with drinks, food, live entertainment, dancing and more.
Where to stay on New Year's Eve in Canberra
Crowne Plaza Canberra
Peppers Gallery Canberra
See the latest Canberra deals
More guides on Finder
How to enjoy the Sydney New Year’s Eve fireworks for 2020/2021
The Sydney New Year's Eve fireworks have been given the green light for 2020/2021. Here's how to enjoy them in a COVIDSafe way while still distancing.
Morphe New Year’s Eve 2019 collection: When and where you can shop
This is your first look at Morphe's New Year's Eve 2019 collection – see all the products (and swatches) here.
Best shoes to wear on New Year’s Eve 2020
If you’re going to dance until the clock strikes twelve, you’ll want to wear the right shoes. Find your perfect pair with our guide.
100 New Years Eve dresses under $100 for 2020
See our top picks for New Years Eve dresses, all they're all under $100. Plus, you can read our style-inspo edit.
7 sailings that will have you celebrating New Year’s Eve on a cruise
Ring in the new year at sea with these celebratory New Year's Eve cruises.
New Year’s Eve in Darwin 2020/2021 | What’s happening on NYE
The ultimate guide to New Year's Eve celebratory dinners, cruises, hotels and fireworks in Darwin.
New Year’s Eve in Byron Bay 2020/2021 | What’s happening on NYE
What's on in Byron Bay on New Year's Eve, including NYE dinner packages, parties and events throughout town.
New Year’s Eve in Cairns 2020/2021
The best vantage points, restaurants and parties to ring in the new year in Cairns.
New Year’s Eve in Hobart 2020/2021 | What’s happening on NYE
The best events, firework viewpoints and hotels to book for New Year’s Eve in Hobart.
New Year’s Eve on the Gold Coast 2020/2021 | What’s happening on NYE
From prime vantage points to cruises, island parties to restaurants, here's your hot list of where to celebrate New Year's Eve on the Gold Coast.
Ask an Expert