New Year’s Eve in Cairns 2020/2021
What to do in Cairns on New Year's Eve, from fireworks to dinner.
Updated . What changed?
We’re committed to our readers and editorial independence. We don’t compare all products in the market and may receive compensation when we refer you to our partners, but this does not influence our opinions or reviews. Learn more about Finder .
With the sun shining and the beach at your beck and call there's no better way to start off the new year than with a party in Cairns.
From beachside dinners to island parties, there's a little something for everybody. Yes, including those midnight fireworks.
Where to watch the Cairns New Year's Eve fireworks
Due to COVID-19, where you can watch the fireworks in Cairns may change to comply with social distancing measures. At this stage, no changes have been advised.
The best place to witness the sky crack with the light of New Year's fireworks is on Cairns Esplanade. There will be a 9pm show for kids and families and for those who can stay up for it there was the grand finale midnight spectacular.
Around 30,000 people usually flock to the shore to catch both pyrotechnic performances, but you won't have to struggle to find space or an unimpeded view. Anywhere along the Esplanade is fine and there is plenty to keep all entertained from 5pm onwards at Fogerty Park. This includes on-stage and roving entertainment and amusement park rides.
For those seeking to get away from the crowds you've a handful of alternate options a short drive away. This includes:
- Red Arrow: Keep this a quiet one by hiking up to the lookout for views of the fireworks over Cairns Esplanade.
- Palm Cove hosts its own fireworks along the foreshore at 9pm.
- Port Douglas hosts family-friendly fireworks at 8.30pm on top of the the traditional midnight fireworks on the foreshore. Recommend viewing spots are The Combined Club and Anzac Park.
Restaurants in Cairns are yet to announce their dining options for New Year's Eve. Here are some of our top picks from 2019/2020 that are likely to be available again this New Year's Eve:
- Pullman Cairns: Dine on fresh a seafood buffet with local produce to the tune of blue swimmer crabs, tiger prawns and more before dancing dance the night away.
- Salt House: Every year Salt House hosts one of the most swanky soirees of the year on 31 December. This year is no differnt. It geatures a special three course meal and cocktail party package, including canapes from 7-9 in the front bar. That's all followed by live entertainment and DJ. From Salt House, you'll also enjoy views of both the 9pm and midnight fireworks.
- The Chambers: Head to SoMa and get ready to wine and dine your way to 2020. On the three-course menu is house scallops, wagyu eye fillet and croquembouche and on the welcome drinks tray are glasses of Mumm Cordon Rouge Brut Champagne (one per person).
There's currently no confirmation on what events will be going ahead in 2020. Here's the biggest parties that closed out 2019 that may continue the festivities in 2020.
- Esplanade: The official New Year's party is along the Esplanade where there will be live performance, food stalls and activities galore. It's a family-friendly event and an ideal location to take in the fireworks.
- Fitzroy Island: For a truly memorable send off to the year, take your party to Fitzroy Island. Tickets to its event sell out in a flash so keep your eyes peeled for details when they land. We know we are.
- Gilligan's: You'll be burning up the dance floor with Gilligan's New Year's rocking party.
- Pier Bar: One of the city's ultimate party destinations for New Year's, the news about the gig is hush-hush at the moment but we'll keep you in the loop as word gets around.
- The Jack: Enjoy a powerhouse line-up of live music and celebrate the days of 70's Glam Rock! Free entry.
- Ultimate Party Cairns: For the best of all worlds, catch the New Year's Eve Ultimate Party Tour. Practically an institution in the city, it's a party bus that takes you to all the best clubs in the city including The Jack, Gilligan’s and Pier Bar.
Cairns has an abundant choice of hotel rooms to retire to after a long night out on the town. Book these now though because they're bound to sell out quickly.
Cairns Plaza Hotel
Mantra Esplanade Cairns
DoubleTree by Hilton Cairns
Holiday Inn Cairns Harbourside
Pacific Hotel Cairns
Cairns Sunland Leisure Park
Rydges Esplanade Resort Cairns
More guides on Finder
How to watch 2020 Bathurst 1000 race live and free
A week of festivities reaches its climax with 25 cars taking on the legendary Mount Panorama circuit in the Bathurst 1000.
How to watch 2020 Bathurst 1000 Top 10 Shootout live and free
Contenders for this year’s Bathurst 1000 have a chance to show their true pace in the exciting Top 10 Shootout.
How to watch Port Adelaide Power vs Richmond Tigers AFL finals live and free
Port Adelaide can silence any remaining doubters and reach this year’s AFL grand final if they can overcome Richmond.
Black Friday vs Prime Day vs Boxing Day: Where are the best deals?
This year's shopping season is about to kick off with three huge sales on the immediate horizon: Amazon Prime Day, Black Friday and Boxing Day. Here are the best times to buy.
How to watch South American World Cup qualifiers live in Australia
The South American World Cup qualifying series is here, featuring some of the most storied nations and best players in the world.
Live stream 2020 Bledisloe Cup: All Blacks vs Wallabies
Australia's Wallabies will try yet again to snap a long losing streak in Bledisloe Cup showdowns against New Zealand.
Everything you need to know about Amazon Prime
Confused about the services that Amazon Prime offers? Check out our guide on everything you need to know about Amazon's speedy delivery service.
How to enjoy the Sydney New Year’s Eve fireworks for 2020/2021
The Sydney New Year's Eve fireworks have been given the green light for 2020/2021. Here's how to enjoy them in a COVIDSafe way while still distancing.
Cute Halloween costume ideas for 2020
If you’re not into the blood and gore, try one of these adorable Halloween costumes instead.
How to watch Australia vs England ODI cricket series
Australia has a chance to quickly bounce back from a Twenty20 series defeat in a one-day competition against England.
Ask an Expert