What you need to know to celebrate New Year's in Cairns.
With the sun shining and the beach at your beck and call there's no better way to start off the new year than with a party in Cairns.
From beachside dinners to island parties there's a little something for everybody. Yes, including those midnight fireworks. Here's the goss:
Where to watch the Cairns New Year’s Eve fireworks
The best place to witness the sky crack with the light of New Year's fireworks is on Cairns Esplanade. There will be a 9pm show for kids and families and for those who can stay up for it there was the grand finale midnight spectacular.
Around 30,000 people usually flock to the shore to catch both pyrotechnic performances, but you won't have to struggle to find space or an unimpeded view. Anywhere along the Esplanade is fine and there is plenty to keep all entertained from 6pm onwards in the area including on-stage and roving entertainment and amusement park rides.
For those seeking to get away from the crowds, Palm Cove also hosts its own fireworks along the foreshore at 9pm.
Best New Year’s Eve dinners in Cairns
Here are some of our top picks for 2018/2019:
- Salt House: Dubbed A Black Tie Affair, Salt House boasts one of the most spectacular soirees of the year on 31 December. Opt to dine on a three course meal with complimentary champagne on arrival for $125 or spend your evening sipping cocktails and supping on canapes for $105. Once the dining is complete, step onto the dance floor for live entertainment by DJ MBQ and RudeBoy. From Salt House, you'll also enjoy views of both the 9pm and midnight fireworks.
- Simply Italian Bar and Grill: Located on the waterfront minutes near The Esplanade is this gem of a restaurant. For New Years it's delivering a $75 set menu that nonna would be proud of. Think lasagne, fresh fish, pizza and Italian trifle. Stay the night and catch the fireworks. We would too.
- Pullman Cairns: Dine on fresh a seafood buffet with Tasmanian oysters, blues swimmer crabs and more before dancing dance the night away. Tickets from $89 for the 5:30-7:30 seating and $119 for the 8:30-12:30 seating.
Best Cairns New Year’s Eve parties and events
Grab your ticket to the biggest parties to close out 2018.
- Esplanade: The official New Year's party is along the Esplanade where there will be live performance, food stalls and activities galore. It's a family-friendly event and an ideal location to take in the fireworks.
- Fitzroy Island: For a truly memorable send off to 2018, take your party to Fitzroy Island. Tickets to its event sell out in a flash so keep your eyes peeled for details when they land. We know we are.
- Gilligan’s: You'll be burning up the dance floor with Gilligan's New Year's rocking party at 6pm.
- Pier Bar: One of the city's ultimate party destinations for New Year's, the news about the gig is hush-hush at the moment but we'll keep you in the loop as word gets around.
- The Jack: Say hello to 2019 with a powerhouse line-up of live music and celebrate the days of 70’s Glam Rock! Free entry.
- Ultimate Party Cairns: For the best of all worlds, catch the New Year's Eve Ultimate Party Tour. Practically an institution in the city, it's a party bus that takes you to all the best clubs in the city including The Jack, Gilligan’s and Pier Bar. Entry into the clubs is included. There are two sessions, one at 5.45pm and the other at 6.15pm.
New Year’s Eve accommodation options in Cairns
Cairns has an abundant choice of hotel rooms to retire to after a long night out on the town. Book these now though because they're bound to sell out quickly.
Novotel Cairns Oasis Resort
Cairns Sunland Leisure Park
Peppers Beach Club & Spa
Rydges Esplanade Resort Cairns