New Year’s Eve in Cairns 2020/2021
What to do in Cairns on New Year's Eve, from fireworks to dinner.
We’re reader-supported and may be paid when you visit links to partner sites. We don’t compare all products in the market, but we’re working on it!
The below information is for New Year's Eve 2020/2021. We'll update this page with information about the 2021/2022 events once available.
With the sun shining and the beach at your beck and call there's no better way to start off the new year than with a party in Cairns.
From beachside dinners to island parties, there's a little something for everybody. Yes, including those midnight fireworks.
Where to watch the Cairns New Year's Eve fireworks
Due to COVID-19, where you can watch the fireworks in Cairns may change to comply with social distancing measures. At this stage, no changes have been advised but there will be QR code check points.
The best place to witness the sky crack with the light of New Year's fireworks is on Cairns Esplanade. There will be a 9pm show for kids and families and for those who can stay up for it there was the grand finale midnight spectacular.
Around 30,000 people usually flock to the shore to catch both pyrotechnic performances, but you won't have to struggle to find space or an unimpeded view. Anywhere along the Esplanade is fine and there is plenty to keep all entertained from 5pm onwards at Fogerty Park. This includes on-stage and roving entertainment and amusement park rides.
For those seeking to get away from the crowds you've a handful of alternate options a short drive away. This includes:
- Red Arrow: Keep this a quiet one by hiking up to the lookout for views of the fireworks over Cairns Esplanade.
- Palm Cove hosts its own fireworks along the foreshore at 9pm.
- Port Douglas hosts family-friendly fireworks at 8.30pm on top of the the traditional midnight fireworks on the foreshore. Recommend viewing spots are The Combined Club and Anzac Park.
Best New Year's Eve dinners in Cairns
These are the restaurants in Cairns that have confirmed their dining options for New Year's Eve.
- News Year's Eve at Nu Nu: Let someone else do the cooking with a 3-course dinner, 4-choice set menu and a cocktail upon arrival - need we say more? Starts at 5pm.
- New Year's Eve at Paper Crane: Indulge in the finest foods Paper Crane has to offer as you wave goodbye to the last 12 months. Runs from 5pm-11:45pm.
- Pullman Cairns: Dine on a 4-course dinner with local produce accompanied by a glass of sparkling wine on arrival before dancing the night away. Two restaurant seating from 5:30pm and 8:30pm. Coco's Bar will be open from 5:30pm until late.
- Salt House: Every year Salt House hosts one of the most swanky soirees of the year on 31 December. This year is no different. It features a special three course meal and cocktail party package. That's all followed by live entertainment and DJ.
- The Chambers: Head to SoMa and get ready to wine and dine your way to 2021. On the three-course menu is house scallops, wagyu eye fillet and croquembouche and on the welcome drinks tray are glasses of Mumm Cordon Rouge Brut Champagne (one per person). TBC.
Things to do on New Year's Eve in Cairns
Finish off 2020 with a bang with these epic experiences that are available on 31 December.
Jet Boat Ride
River Tubing Adventure
Sunrise Kayak Tour
Skydiving Cairns to Innisfail
Green Island Day Trip
Cape Tribulation, Mossman Gorge, and Daintree Rainforest Day Trip
Here are the biggest parties that are going to be bringing 2020 to a close.
- Gilligan's: You'll be burning up the dance floor with Gilligan's New Year's Lockdown Pyjama Party. Runs from 6pm-5am.
- 80s Tropical Block Party: Finish off your 2020 with visits to Three Wolves, Flamingos Tiki Bar and Wolf Lane Distillery. The three iconic venues are coming together to bring you a night you'll never forget. Runs from 5pm-2am.
- Hemingway's F. OFF 2020 NYE Party: It's all in the name with this one. Say goodbye to the year that was by dancing the night away to live music and a full menu to choose from. Starts from 5pm.
- 2021 NYE White Party: Party your way into the new year with a host of talented DJs including J-Dub. This gig has you sorted from 8pm-5am.
- Let's Dance: If you want to dance your heart away to bring in the new year, AJ Hackett Cairns is the place to be. From 6pm-2am.
New Year's Eve accommodation options in Cairns
Cairns has an abundant choice of hotel rooms to retire to after a long night out on the town. Book these now though because they're bound to sell out quickly.
Pullman Reef Hotel Casino
Shangri-La Hotel The Marina Cairns
Pullman Cairns International
Novotel Cairns Oasis Resort
Cairns Sunland Leisure Park
Rydges Esplanade Resort Cairns
See the latest Cairns deals
More guides on Finder
How to watch Sydney’s New Year’s Eve fireworks | Ticketholders have access, but you still have options [Updated]
The Sydney New Year's Eve fireworks have been given the green light for 2020/2021. Here's how to enjoy them in a COVIDSafe way while still distancing.
Click Frenzy™ Main Event 2020 is here: See the deals here
This is where you can find the best deals, discounts and savings in one single place.
How to watch New Zealand’s North vs South rugby union match live in Australia
The best rugby union players from New Zealand’s North Island and South Island square off in a traditional grudge match in Wellington.
How to watch NRL 9s 2020 live and free
After a two-year break the NRL 9s are back in the new location of Perth.
All the sneakers Nike is dropping for Chinese New Year 2020
Ring in the Year of the Rat with this extensive new sneaker collection featuring all your favourite Nike silhouettes.
Watch Australia vs New Zealand New Year’s Test live and free
Australia is versing New Zealand in the traditional New Year’s Test at the SCG. Here’s all the ways you can watch it live in Australia.
All the Chinese New Year 2020 makeup collections we’ve seen so far
With the Lunar New Year just a few weeks away, we're taking a look at all the makeup collections you can get your hands on to celebrate.
Make Up For Ever Chinese New Year 2020: What’s in the collection?
Start the new year the right way with this stunning collection of high-performance products.
Top 2020 New Year’s resolutions revealed
Finder research has revealed the top New Year's resolutions for 2020. Aussies say they want to improve their fitness, eat healthier, travel more and ditch the debt.
Why you’re going to want MAC Cosmetics’ Lunar New Year 2020 collection
See all the images of MAC's mythical collection that will be dropping just in time for Chinese New Year.
Ask an Expert