The ins and outs of partying into the new year at Byron Bay
The sleepy town of Byron Bay comes to life over New Year's with restaurant specials, a street party and a music festival.
Curious? Whether you're sticking around to join in the celebrations of your home town or heading to the coastal destination for something a little different this year, you'll want in on this guide to what's on in Byron Bay this New Year's Eve.
Are there Byron Bay New Year’s Eve fireworks?
There are no fireworks or beach parties in Byron Bay to ring in the new year, so if you're looking for sparklers and revellers, this isn't the place to be.
Instead, you can expect a cool selection of local parties and events to celebrate the Byron Bay way.
Best New Year’s Eve dinner specials in Byron Bay
Dinners for the upcoming 2018/2019 New Year's Eve haven't been announced yet, but here's what was available this year:
- The Balcony Bar: Bubbles on arrival, a seafood platter, fish tacos, sliders and a wide selection of charcuterie and cheese are what you're in for at Balcony Bar this New Year’s. With two sittings available, live music playing and views of the street party from the bar's balcony, you're making this a luxurious and chilled one this year.
- Italian at The Pacific: The Italian is going all-out this year with a six-course degustation to tantalise the senses. This dinner special includes sparkling on arrival and starts at 8pm. Price is $155 per person and bookings are essential.
- St Elmo Dining Room and Bar: St Elmo is renowned for hosting a dining fiesta. Last year its dinner menu featured a smorgasbord of tapas and this year we're expecting much the same. Watch this space.
- Beach Byron: With its beachfront views and quality eats, you can't go wrong booking a seat at Beach Byron to ring in the new year. In previous years it's hosted three-hour dining offerings complete with views, and this year we're anticipating the same.
Best Byron Bay New Year’s Eve events and parties
Events and parties for the upcoming 2018/2019 New Year's Eve haven't been announced yet, but here's what was available this year:
- Falls Festival: A festival that needs no introduction, Falls Fest is Byron Bay's indie music arts event. Every year it runs over New Year’s in Byron and this year it calls in big names like Flume, Fleet Foxes, Run The Jewels, The Kooks, Glass Animals and Peking Duck. Camping tickets are still available (at the time of writing) so get in quick… if you haven't already.
- Byron Bay Soul Street: Each year Johnson Street finds its soul, transforming into a hotbed of family friendly entertainment. Expect artisan stalls, buskers and circus performances on the roam. Head to Railway Park for live and local entertainment. The party is alcohol-free and runs from 4pm till late.
- First Sun New Year's Day: Only in Byron Bay will you find a hangover party on New Year’s Day, and only in Byron Bay will they make you get up at the crack of dawn to attend it. You'll find it at the Cape Byron Lighthouse where punters will greet the first sun of the new year with peace and good intentions.
- Harvest Newrybar: The theme of Harvest Newrybar's NYE party this year is masquerade so don your best mask and be that lady/man of mystery. It's a night of food, drinks and disco with entry priced at $195 and the party starting at 7pm and ending at 1am. And because Harvest is socially responsible, it's offering a free shuttle service from Suffolk Park and Byron Bay to its doorstep and back.
- Beach Hotel: December's gig list isn't out yet but you can bet the Beach Hotel has something special in mind to ring in 2018. Watch this space.
Best places to go camping on New Year’s Eve in Byron Bay
Best New Year’s Eve accommodation in Byron Bay
These hotels in and around Byron Bay still have limited rooms available, but if they're sold out you might like to try looking on homeshare sites like Airbnb.
Richmond Motor Inn
Ballina Hi Craft Motel
Ballina Manor Boutique Hotel
Ballina Heritage Inn
Comfort Inn All Seasons