How to celebrate in style along the Brisbane River this New Years.
The end of December will be here before you know and we've got the goss on what's on to make sure 2018 goes out with a bang.
Brisbane's calling card and jewel crown is the Brisbane River. It's flanked on all sides by swanky bars, high-end restaurants and hotels and Brisbane’s vibrant nightlife scene.
It also lights up every New Year’s Eve with a spectacular fireworks display and a range of activities and parties for young and old.
Find out where it's at in Brisbane this year with our guide.
When and where to watch the New Year’s Eve fireworks in Brisbane
The fireworks are set off all along the Brisbane River with the best vantage point being along South Bank.
There are two shows:
- 8.30pm: Kids’ fireworks display
- Midnight: The main event
Where are the best spots to watch the New Year's Eve fireworks?
With fireworks being launched from different sites along the river and from barges, the New Year's eve light display is one not to be missed.
|Location||What to expect|
|Clem Jones Promenade||Along South Bank, this spot offers great views over the river to the city. There will be food trucks and family-friendly movies playing.|
|Eagle Street Pier||The cosmopolitan restaurant and bar precinct is a stylish spot to take in the fireworks over a meal or a glass of bubbly. It will be packed, so book your table or get in early for the best views.|
|Brisbane City Botanic Gardens||Watch the show over the Brisbane River at the river bend.|
|Captain Burke Park||Situated right on the river near the Story Bridge, this park has great views over the river.|
|Portside Wharf||Watch the fireworks show over the river from this precinct near the cruise terminal.|
|Kangaroo Point Cliffs Park||Views of the fireworks across the Brisbane River toward the Botanic Gardens.|
|Mount Coot-tha||The iconic Mount Coot-tha is an unbeatable vantage point due to its height. You'll feel like you’re eye-to-eye with the display and enjoy a panoramic view of the whole city from here.|
New Year's Eve Brisbane restaurants
- New Year's Eve at Press Club: For the first time, cocktail bar Press Club is offering a food and drinks package for New Year's Eve. The four-hour pack includes select beers, wines and bubbly plus canapes and venue access. Tickets are $99.
- NYE Dinner Dance at Treasury Casino: Set to DJs and live entertainment, join this dinner and dancing event at the Treasury Casino. You'll get a 4.5-hour package of premium cocktails, wine, beers, grazing and dessert stations. Tickets $175pp.
Summit Bar and Restaurant: Take in the incredible view of the fireworks from the Brisbane Lookout atop Mount Coot-tha. Early and late sittings are available with late sittings including live entertainment from The Andrew Sisters Tribute Band. Early sittings at 5pm and 5.30pm start from $89 per person, late sittings from 8-9.30pm from $155 per person. A 3 hour drinks package can be added for $55pp.
- Three Blue Ducks: Spend your New Year's surrounded by good people and great food at Three Blue Ducks. There are two sittings available, one for families and early-birds at 5.30pm and the other for the fireworks at 8.30pm. The latter is an 18+ event only and includes a 4-course meal, 4-hour beverage package, views of the fireworks and live entertainment. Eating sittings are $105 per person and include 3-course meal. Late sittings are $220 per person.
New Year's Eve Brisbane river cruises
Fireworks views don't get much more front row than on a boat on the Brisbane River. Ring in the new year under stars with one of these New Year’s Eve river cruises.
- Brisbane Cruises: Spend 5 hours on the Brisbane River aboard the MV Lady Brisbane, where you'll have access to finger foods, drinks, dessert and entertainment all evening until the fireworks at midnight. Tickets are $155 for adults and $75 for children.
- Kookaburra Showboat Cruises: Take in the city views from this river cruise that includes a seafood buffet dinner, glass of sparkling on arrival (bar on board for additional drinks) and live entertainment all night before watching the fireworks display. . Tickets are $199 for adults and $150 for children.
- Brisvegas Cruises: Party all night along the Brisvegas New Year's Eve cruise. Choose from an all-ages family sailing or an adults-only cruise. Both are 3.5 hours and include food and have a bar on board. Tickets are $95 for the adults-only cruise, $65 for adults on the family-friendly cruise and $45 for children on the family-friendly cruise. Family pack tickets are available for $200 (two adults and two children).
What's on? The New Year's Eve Brisbane events you'll want in on
- New Years Eve Climb. For something unique and unforgettable, end your year with a climb on the famous Story Bridge. The 6.30 climb gets you up in time for the 8.30pm fireworks while the 10pm climb sets you up for pole positioning to catch the midnight extravaganza. Tickets start at $259 per person for adults.
- QLD Pops Orchestra: New Year's Eve Gala Variety Concert: Dress up for the final concert of the year at the Concert Hall at QPAC. There will be a 5:30pm and 9pm show. Tickets start at $89.
- Midnight in Paris at Victoria Park: Brisbane's Victoria Park is being transformed into the romantic European city of Paris for one night only. Expect bistro lights, decadent Parisian fare, a 5-hour beverage package, roving performers and red, white and blue fireworks off the Marquee balcony. Tickets are are $149 for GA or $1,990 for VIP.
- Woodford Folk Festival. Held over six days from 27 December - 1 January, this is the best way to turn your New Year's night into almost a week of entertainment. While this one technically is outside Brisbane (it's a 90-minute drive northwest), it's worth it. Tickets from $130 (day ticket without camping).
Stay in luxury at Rydges South Bank and enjoy the close proximity to the South Bank Parklands, Eagle Street Pier and La Trobe Terrace. Or stay in and watch the fireworks from your private balcony.
Centrally located close to the East Pier Bridge and a short stroll from New Year’s Eve festivities, the Marriott offers luxurious accommodation with spa, sauna and massage facilities and a beauty centre.
Watch the fireworks from your window with a room facing the Brisbane River. The South Bank Parklands is a five-minute drive away and the action of LaTrobe Terrace and Eagle Street Pier are a short walk.
Sitting near Central Station in Brisbane's CBD, Sofitel is a short walk to the river where you can watch the New Year's fireworks. When you're not celebrating the new year, the 5-star property has a heated pool and spa features a chic bar and lounge.
Conveniently situated in the city centre and guests can benefit from the in-house fitness centre and plunge pool for relaxation.
Wake up to the beautiful Botanic Gardens and stay in the centre of Brisbane's bustling CBD. Perks include a fitness centre, free unlimited Wi-Fi, an outdoor pool and a business centre.