What to do on New Year’s Eve in Brisbane 2020/2021
Here's how to celebrate in style along the Brisbane River this New Year's Eve.
Updated . What changed?
We’re reader-supported and may be paid when you visit links to partner sites. We don’t compare all products in the market, but we’re working on it!
The below information is for New Year's Eve 2020/2021. We'll update this page with information about the 2021/2022 events once available.
New Year's Eve will be here before you know and we've got the details on what's on to make sure this year goes out with a bang.
Brisbane's calling card and crown jewel is the Brisbane River. It's flanked on all sides by swanky bars, high-end restaurants, hotels and Brisbane's vibrant nightlife scene.
Due to the pandemic, this year's fireworks have been scrapped but that doesn't mean you can't still celebrate in style.
Find out where it's at in Brisbane this year with our guide.
Where are the New Year's Eve fireworks in Brisbane?
On 2 November, Brisbane City Council announced that it has cancelled the 2020 New Year's Eve fireworks to limit crowds at Brisbane River, which is where the fireworks are usually set off.
This isn't to say you can't get out and about.
Instead, it's encouraging locals to visit restaurants, cafes and bars to celebrate or to make the most of the green spaces in the city to ring in the new year.
Recommended spaces are Roma Street Parkland and South Bank. Note that all parklands on the night will be alcohol-free.
Where should I go for New Year's Eve in Brisbane?
New Year's Eve Brisbane restaurants
- Three Blue Ducks @ W Brisbane: Spend your New Year's Eve surrounded by good people and great food at Three Blue Ducks. Throughout the holiday break (including New Year's Eve), groups of 12-24 can tuck into a two- or three-course Duck's Feast. Feeling peckish? Upgrade your meal to a Ducks Ultimate Feast to throw in some celebratory sparkling wine on arrival and BBQ Moreton Bay bugs. You know you want to. 2 courses for $75pp, 3 courses from $90pp, upgrade to the Ultimate Feast for an extra $25pp.
- Time to Celebrate NYE 2021 @ Southbank Beer Garden: Let your hair down and be fed and entertained all evening long (well, until midnight) at this casual diner. It sits right on the waterfront. Tickets $149pp.
- NYE at Signature: Wine afficiondo? Head to Signature with your mates for a four-course dining experience with matching wines to seal off 2020. Tickets $299pp.
- NYE at Eagle Farm Racecourse: Dress to impress at this glamorous event and you'll be starting 2021 on the right foot. On the menu are glasses of Moet & Chandon, Chandon NV, dry aged meats, fine cheese, Tasmanian oysters and chocolate and hazelnut profitteroles. Are you drooling yet?Tickets from 240pp. Discounts for members available.
- New Years Eve @ Nostimo: Eat your fill at this Greek establishment and its banquet of mouthwatering dishes and flowing Greek beverages. Tickets $195pp.
- One Fish Two Fish, Kangaroo Point: Nothing screams summer in Australia like a seafood smoresgbord. So tick this box off your summer checklist at One Fish Two Fish where prawn cocktails, salon mousse tarts and lemon pepper fast-fried calamari takes precedence. Tickets $195pp.
- Covent Garden, West End: Gin is still all the rage and if you're a fan then you can do no better than booking yourself in for an All You Can Gin apage at Covent Garden. There's Christmas gins and Bloody Shiraz gins to knock back. And if your mates aren't into that there's also wines, beers and ciders available. As is a four-course gluten-free selection of eats. Tickets $119pp.
- Mary Mae's, New Farm: Pick out your best whites and prepare to shine at Mary Mae's end of year White Party. All with a glass in your hand and DJ music to set the scene. Tickets $125pp.
- Thyme2 Restaurant @ Sofitel Brisbane Central: Eat your fill at the buffet, drink the free-flowing French sparkling and party with your loved ones. This is an all-ages event so that can include the tykes. If you wish. Tickets from $164pp.
- Cielo Rooftop: With the weather just right, the best place to toast the city is front a rooftop that overlooks the skyline. Pop by early and you can catch the final sunset of the year as it falls over the city during the Final Sunset stage (3-7pm). Then, stick around until midnight for the second event: The Countdown (7pm-midnight). Drink in hand thanks to the four-hour beverage package. Tickets $50pp (The Final Sunset) and from $195pp (The Countdown).
- Fat Noodle: Take your New Year's celebration to another level with Fat Noodle's Asian-inspired banquet. On the menu are Thai fish cakes, Vietnamese chicken salad, caramalised pork belly, tom yum lobster soup, sortbet trio and that mandatory glass of sparkling. This banquet runs from 29 December 2020 to 3 January 2021 so you can party on another day if you'd prefer a quieter (though no less decadent) celebration. Tickets from $69pp.
- Emporium: Choose from a Signature Experience Dining experience, three course dining experience or two course dining on New Year's Eve at Emporium's Signature restaurant. The festive menu runs until 3 January 2021. Bookings are available at 9pm New Year's Eve. Prices from $65pp (2 courses).
- The Pool Terrace & Bar aat Next Hotel Brisbane. Though not an official event, the Pool Terrace & Bar t this hotel has fantastic city views and s shaking cocktails until the wee hours of the morning.
- Boom Boom Boom Izakaya: This newly renovated underground joint will be filling you up on cocktails, spirits and beer for 5-hours on New Year's Eve at it's end-of-year event. Tickets $169pp.
- Portside Wharf: A plethora of Portside Wharf restaurants are flinging their doors open throughout New Year's Eve and slinging cocktails and meals. This includes Byblos, Belvedere Bar 'n' Grill, Gusto da Dianni, Mr and Mrs Jones and Sono Japanese Restaurant. Pick your favourite. PS: they're all good.
- Kingsleys: Indulgent is one word to describe your night at Kingsleys. Celebrate here and you'll be be signing yourself up for a 3-course dinner complete with W.A. Abrohlos BBQ octopus and dry aged wagyu Cap MB9+. You know if you know. Children are welcome and tickets start from $125pp for adults.
- Jade Buddha: It's one of the city's favourite riverside venues and now you can say goodbye to this year with the Jade Buddha's F%#K2020 NYE Party. Enjoy wines, cocktails, beers, spirits and more. The three-hour package runs from 6pm to 9pm and tickets start from $145pp.
- Cielo Rooftop: Pop in between 3pm and 7pm for the Final Sunset event with a selection of cocktails to choose from or rock up at the main event to count the new year in. Tickets for The Final Sunset are $50pp, for The Countdown $195pp and booth packages for groups of eight for $2000.
We'll update this list as restaurants confirm their events.
Is your restaurant missing from this list?
New Year's Eve cruises from BrisbaneRing in the new year under the stars with one of these New Year’s Eve river cruises.
- Any Boat private boat hire: Do it your way this year and hire out your own private wheels on water to party on until midnight (and even beyond). Any Boat has chartered boats for 20 to 120 people with prices starting from $60pp (based on a 120pax boat).
- Brisbane Cruises: Spend five hours on the Brisbane River aboard the MV Lady Brisbane, where you'll have access to finger foods, drinks, dessert and entertainment from 8pm to 1am. Tickets are $165 for adults and $95 for children.
- Brisvegas Cruises: Party all night along the Brisvegas New Year's Eve cruise. This adults-only cruise is 3.5 hours of music, cheering and drinks. As Brisvegas Cruises says, this is "not for those who want to sit back and relax". Tickets are $125pp.
Is your cruise missing from this list?
New Year's Eve parties and events in Brisbane
Send the year off with a bang by booking a ticket to one of the hottest parties in town. From adventurous activities to fantastic festivals, Brisbane has it all.
- Cloudland: Magic, pop-up experiences and that all-important countdown to the New Year. It's all happening at Cloudland. Choose from a variety of ticket options, including the Crystal Garden Soiree with 4.5 hour of drinks, pizza, premium canapes and a glamorous setting for $159pp to a Play Among The Stars VIP Soiree in the new Rose Room, Moon Room and Rooftop Terrace on level 3 with drinks package, gourmet food stages, premium canapes and top shelve drinks featuring G.H. Mumm Champagne. Tickets $219pp.
- Rumble! Thunderdome @ Fortitude Music Hall: Swap the parties for a night of live entertainment as six contenders battle it out with performances, games and right royal chaos. Tickets from $78.30pp.
- Speakeasy: A New Year's Eve Event:: Wind back the time and to the roaring 20s where prohibition was in the air. The Tiv is transforming itself into an underground Speakeasy with musicians, burleque dancers and circus acts. Tickets from $250pp.
- NYE Wander Lust Alfresco Experience @ Riverlife: Missing that travel feeling? Let Wander Lust take you across the continents with themed marquees based around South America, Asia and Europe. In each are the continent's foodie delights, local drinks and famous music. Tickets from $145pp.
- NYE at Fridays: Spend your Thursday - and your Friday - at Fridays on the Riverside. Tickets are super cheap at $35 for General Admission or $25 at the door if still available.
- NYE Garden Party: Hosted by The Sound Garden, this one's for lovers of great music. 2020 has brought us some stunners, afterall. On top of the beats, there will be Veuve Cliquot, premium hot and cold canapes and a garden party theme. Frock up! Tickets $179pp.
- New Year's Eve Boat Party @ Regatta Hotel: The official fireworks might be cancelled by the Regatta has its own exclusive display happening on the river. Woohoo! Start it off with a 4-hour beverage package, fresh seafood and Meditarranean dishes, music galore and the crack of the skies at midnight. Tickets $150pp.
- Queensland Pops Orchestra: New Year's Eve Masquerade Gala Concert: Be that person of mystery on 31 December at the Queensland Pops Orchestra's carnival inspired event. Internationally renowned muscians will play and champagne and nibbles will be rife as you make your way through the crowd of the unknown. Tickets from $88pp.
- Blackbird Bar & Grill: Spend the final hours of 2020 sumping on the delights of Head Chef Anthony Donaldson, knocking back free-flowing drinks, marvelling at the roving acts and dancing to the live musicians and DJs at play. Tickets $240pp.
- Jade Buddha Bar & Kitchen: Sick of the year that we've had? Say farewell in the best possible way with the F#%K 2020 NYE party and eat, dance and drink the night away with a 3-hour canapes and drinks package from 6-9pm. $145pp.
- Lefty's "Road House" NYE: American at heart? Had plans to visit the U-S-A that went astray? This could be the next best thing. It's an all-American roadhouse party, complete with live entertainment from the cult classic flick Road House, platters of Americana fodder and themed bars. Tickets from $137.70pp.
- New Year's Eve Cocktail Ball at Victoria Park: Ring in 2021 for a magical New Year's Eve at The Marquee Room, Victoria Park for a night of performers, food stations and a five-hour beverage package. Tickets from $149pp + booking fee.
- Glitter Gala NYE: Dance under the disco lights in your sparkliest outfit at Victoria Park's annual gala. Indulge in five hours of beverages, including cocktails, canapes, entertainment and a live DJ. Plus, there will be a private fireworks display – because those sparklers are a must to ring in a new year. Tickets $149pp.
- Bluey's Big Play The Stage Show: Any parent of a little tyke is sure to be familiar with this adorable blue dog. Take them out for a treat on New Year's Eve by catching the live stage show at Playhouse in QPAC. Suitable for kids 2+. Tickets from $39pp. Discounts available for families of four or more.
- Will and Flow: Here's how your New Year's Eve is going to run. You'll start at Will and Flow with a four-hour package of drinks and canapes alongside DJ music, fire performers and roving entertainners. Then you'll head to Treasury Brisbane to party the rest of your night away. Sounds about right. Tickets $269pp.
- NYE at The Factory: Always a sold out event, don't make this the year you miss out on all the fun at the Brisbane Showgrounds. This festival runs from 5pm-1am and there's more than enough going on to fill those hours - including festival DJs, bars, carnival rides and food trucks. Tickets from $69.27pp.
- XCargo presents NYE 2021 Annual White Party: Bleach those whites folks as you say farewell to 2020 in fine form at this annual white party. Tickets are free but limited.
- A Night of Capri @ Darling & Co.: So you didn't get to Italy this year. Here's the next best thing: a Capri-themed party. So put on those summer dresses and sandles and set sail or an unforgettable night of music, dance and drinks. Tickets from $99pp which includes a 3-hour beverage package, canapes, oyster station and charcuterie grazing station.
- NYE @ Ochre: Drinks will flow and darts will fly at Ohre on 31 December. If you're skilled in darts you could could even take a medal home for your efforts. Tickets from $89pp for a 2-hour package which includes bottle of Candon, 85-minutes of darts, flowing drinks and gourmet canapes.
- Good As: New Year's Eve: It's all about the music at Good As with Late Nite Tuff Guy, Stace Cadet, Odd Mob and more here to soundtrack your way into 2021. Tickets from $74.93pp.
- Backyard and Rooftop New Year's Eve Party @ The Boundary: The Boundary Hotel knows no bounds on New Year's Eve with a 4-hour package of food and drinks, culminating with a private midnight fireworks show in its beer garden. Who said sparks won't fly tonight? Tickets $199pp.
- Shanghai Nights NYE Party @ Ling Ling's: Live DJs, pyrotecnics artists and a live countdown will all come into play at Ling Ling's tonight. Oh and did we mention the 3 hours of canapes, spirits, cocktails, beer and wine. Yes, please! Tickets from $90.76pp.
- Laneway NYE Party @ Uh Oh Bakery Lane: Take the party to the streets and head to Bakerty Lane where a giant outdoor dancefloor will beg you to throw shapes until the early morning. Naturally, food and drinks will be available to purchase. And in leiu of the official fireworks, a massive laser firework display will mark the start of 2021. Tickets $25.
- The Jetty South Bank New Year's Eve: Finish the year off with a feast on the waterfront. The Jetty has two seatings, one a family feast at 5.30pm and a midnight feast starting at 8.30pm which includes a 3.5-hour beverage package and runs until midnight. Prices from $110 (adult) or $55 (child)
Is your event missing from this list?
Things to do on New Year's Eve in Brisbane
Finish off 2020 with a bang with these epic experiences that are available on 31 December.
Brisbane Kayak Tour
Brisbane River Cruise with Lunch
Story Bridge Adventure Climb
iFLY Brisbane Indoor Skydiving
Hot Air Ballooning
Stand Up Paddle Boarding
What is Brisbane doing for New Year's Eve to ensure it's COVID-safe?
Although Brisbane has scrapped its fireworks display for 2020/2021, there are still ways to safely celebrate in the city.
- Cruises: Both private and ticketed New Year's Eve cruises will be available on the Brisbane River. As there are restrictions in place, cruises, including Brisvegas Cruises, have noted that limited tickets are available.
- Restaurants and events: Queensland restrictions allow up to one person per 2 square metres in restaurants, which may mean capacities are limited at popular restaurants. If you're set on a specific venue, book early.
Celebrating New Year's Eve at home in Brisbane: What's allowed
Queensland still has restrictions in place for gathering sizes, which will also include parties on New Year's Eve. As long as no new cases in Queensland are identified, the following restrictions are in place:
- Gathering sizes indoors and outdoors: You can host up to 50 people in your home or in a single outdoor gathering on New Year's Eve. If there are new cases, this number will be decreased to just 10.
- Airing of New Year's Eve fireworks on TV: As there won't be any Brisbane fireworks this year, your best bet is to tune in to the ABC. In the past, it has aired the Sydney fireworks instead of the Brisbane fireworks at midnight.
Best Brisbane hotels for New Year's Eve
Oaks Charlotte Towers
Royal on the Park Hotel
Capri By Fraser
Adina Apartment Hotel Brisbane Anzac Square
Brisbane New Year's Eve FAQs
What is the weather like in Brisbane during New Year's Eve?
31 December is generally a warm one for Brisbane, boasting clear skies and temperatures in their mid-20s to 30s.
What are Brisbane's NYE road closures?
Typically, many of Brisbane CBD's roads close, some as early as 8am on 31 December. Check the Department of Transport and Main Roads' site before heading out to keep on top of specific road closures and times.
Where can I catch the Brisbane New Year's Eve fireworks live stream?
The fireworks have been cancelled for 2020. As such, there will be no live stream on the night.
Is public transport free on New Year's Eve in Brisbane?
To reduce conjestion on the roads, trains, ferries and buses are free to use on New Year's eve from around 8.45pm on New Year's Eve to 5.30am on New Year's Day.
This year there has been no announcement that public transport will be free. Bus services on the night however will be running on a different timetable while trains, and ferries will run on normal weekday timetables on New Year's Eve and on a public holiday timetable on New Year's Day.
See the latest Brisbane deals
More guides on Finder
9 fun things to do on Boxing Day in Brisbane
Here’s what you can get up to this Boxing Day in Brisbane.
Things to do on Boxing Day in Perth
Here are the top experiences you can book on Boxing Day to make the most of your day off. Plus, discover the restaurants, cafes and bars open, too.
How to watch Sydney’s New Year’s Eve fireworks | Ticketholders have access, but you still have options [Updated]
The Sydney New Year's Eve fireworks have been given the green light for 2020/2021. Here's how to enjoy them in a COVIDSafe way while still distancing.
Watch Australia vs New Zealand New Year’s Test live and free
Australia is versing New Zealand in the traditional New Year’s Test at the SCG. Here’s all the ways you can watch it live in Australia.
Top 2020 New Year’s resolutions revealed
Finder research has revealed the top New Year's resolutions for 2020. Aussies say they want to improve their fitness, eat healthier, travel more and ditch the debt.
How to stick to your new year’s resolutions
From fitness to finance, the new year is the perfect time to get your goals on track.
Morphe New Year’s Eve 2019 collection: When and where you can shop
This is your first look at Morphe's New Year's Eve 2019 collection – see all the products (and swatches) here.
34 Black Friday travel deals that have already landed for 2019
Nab up to 85% off Groupon holidays, 60% off Expedia hotels, 20% off Trafalgar trips and more.
8 Australian summer destinations to plan your holidays around
We’ve got the best Aussie destinations to get the most out of the summer sunshine.
What’s in the MAC Cosmetics Lunar New Year collection 2019?
Find out when you can get your hands on the coveted Lunar New Year collection for 2019.
Ask an Expert