What to do on New Year’s Eve in Brisbane 2021/2022
Here's how to celebrate New Year's Eve in Brisbane in style this year.
We’re reader-supported and may be paid when you visit links to partner sites. We don’t compare all products in the market, but we’re working on it!
New Year's Eve will be here before you know it. We've got the details on what's on to make sure this year goes out with a bang.
Brisbane's calling card and crown jewel is the Brisbane River. It's flanked on all sides by swanky bars, high-end restaurants, hotels and the city's vibrant nightlife.
Find out where the party's at in Brisbane this New Year's Eve.
Brisbane's fireworks are usually set off all along the Brisbane River. Due to the snaking nature of the river, there are numerous vantage points you can stake a claim to in order to catch the night-time sparklers.
This year the Lord Mayor's NYE Fireworks are taking off from the river at South Bank Parklands.
There are 2 fireworks displays, both viewable from the below vantage points:
- 8:30pm: Kids' fireworks display (10 minutes)
- Midnight: The main event (10 minutes)
The best vantage points along South Bank are at Clem Jones Promenade, Streets Beach, River Quay Green and Riverside Green, and the Cultural Forecourt.
There will also be fireworks at:
- Eagle Street Pier: A quieter position on the water, you can see the fireworks over the Story Bridge from here.
- The Regatta Hotel: A Victorian-style hotel, the Regatta is hosting it's own Hollywood Glam NYE party with an exclusive fireworks display on the river.
Unfortunately, there won't be any fireworks at Portside Wharf or Howard Smith Wharves this year.
Where should I go for New Year's Eve in Brisbane?
- Mary Mae's, New Farm: Pick out your best whites and prepare to shine at Mary Mae's end-of-year White Party, with a glass of wine in your hand and DJ music to set the scene. Tickets $135 per person.
- Portside Wharf: A plethora of Portside Wharf restaurants are flinging their doors open throughout New Year's Eve and slinging cocktails and meals. This includes Byblos, Belvedere Bar N Grill, Gusto da Gianni, Mr and Mrs Jones and Sono Japanese restaurant. Pick your favourite.
- Three Blue Ducks @ W Brisbane: Spend your New Year's Eve surrounded by good people and great food at Three Blue Ducks. During New Year's Eve, tuck into a 2 or 3-course Duck's Feast. Feeling peckish? First seating from $175 per person (2 courses), second seating from $250 per person (3 courses).
- Time to Celebrate NYE 2021 @ Southbank Beer Garden: Let your hair down and be fed and entertained all evening long (well, 1am) at this casual diner. It sits right on the waterfront. Tickets $150 per person.
- NYE at Signature: Wine aficionado? Head to Signature with your mates for a 4-course dining experience with matching wines to seal off 2020. Tickets $299 per person. (SOLD OUT).
- Covent Garden, West End: Gin is still all the rage and if you're a fan, then you can do no better than booking yourself in for an All You Can Gin package at Covent Garden. There are Christmas gins and Bloody Shiraz gins to knock back, and if your mates aren't into that there are also wines, beers and ciders available, and a 4-course gluten-free selection of eats. Tickets $129 per person.
- Cielo Rooftop: With the weather just right, the best place to toast the city is front a rooftop that overlooks the skyline. Pop by early and you can catch the final sunset of the year as it falls over the city during the Final Sunset stage (4-8pm). Then, stick around until midnight for the second event: The Countdown (8pm–late. Always have a drink in hand thanks to the 4-hour beverage package. Tickets $59 per person (The Final Sunset) and from $209 per person (The Countdown).
- Sasso Italiano: Say arrivederci to 2021 and benvenuti to 2022 with a 3-course meal at Sasso Italiano in Wolloongabba. Enjoy a glass of champagne on arrival. Tickets from $119 per person.
- Jade Buddha: It's one of the city's favourite riverside venues and now you can say goodbye to this year with the Jade Buddha's Better Luck Next Year NYE party. Enjoy wines, cocktails, beers, spirits and more. Information about tickets prices is coming soon.
Send the year off with a bang by booking a ticket to one of the hottest parties in town. From adventurous activities to fantastic festivals, Brisbane has it all.
- New Year's Eve White Party: Ring in the New Year with style, sophistication and elegance at Riverlife's White Party on the Brisbane River! Enjoy breathtaking river and city views and fireworks, unlimited canapés and small plates PLUS a 4-hour beverage package (including cocktails!) as you dance the night away to Brisbane's beloved Hamilton Band. Tickets from $199 per person.
- New Year's Eve Story Bridge Climb: For something unique and unforgettable, end your year with a climb on the famous Story Bridge. Choose the climb at 5:20pm, 5:40pm or 6:00pm and head down to enjoy the celebrations on the ground. Prices start from $159 per person.
- New Year's Eve Hollywood Glam Party at Regatta Hotel: Get dressed up for a night of glitz and glam. Your ticket includes access to a secret underground den, DJs and live music acts, food stations and a 4-hour beverage package. Tickets from $130 per person. (SOLD OUT).
- Queensland Pops Orchestra: New Year's Eve Masquerade Gala Concert: Be that person of mystery on 31 December at the Queensland Pops Orchestra's carnival-inspired event. Musicians will play, and champagne and nibbles will be rife as you make your way through the crowd of the unknown. Tickets from $88 per person.
- Factory Summer Festival: Always a sold-out event, don't make this the year you miss out on all the fun at Eagle Farm Racecourse, with acts including Masked Wolf, Broods, Example and Young Franco on the line-up. Tickets from $106 per person.
- XCargo New Year's Eve Annual White Party: Pick out your favourite white outfit to say farewell to 2021 in fine form. Tickets from $15 per person. (SOLD OUT).
- NYE on Brunswick Street: A 4-hour drinks package, canapés and live DJ, the Pig 'N' Whistle has it all this NYE, what more could you want? Tickets from $152.95 per person.
- The Basement by Theatreroo's NYE Party: Theatreroo knows how to put on a party. Snack on canapés throughout the night, sip on a selection of drinks with the 2-hour drinks package and enjoy a glass of champagne at midnight. Tickets from $69.66 per person.
- A New York New Year's Eve at The Sound Garden: Join this NYC-themed New Year's celebration featuring signature New York cocktails canapés and NYC style food stations. Tickets from $178.09 per person.
- New Year's Eve, Cloudland: A true NYE soiree takes place in Cloudland this year. Choose to spend your evening in the Crystal Garden, your own booth, the cocktail lounge or in the Rose Room. Every package includes food and drinks. Tickets from $164.81 per person.
- Waterloo Bay Hotel: Perfect for families with young ones and others who "won't make it til midnight", join this early evening event with food, drinks and family fun for kids. Tickets from $22.19 per person. (CANCELLED)
- NYE Masquerade Ball: Head on down to the Racehorse Hotel on 31 December to say goodbye to 2021. There's a lot to enjoy including red carpet arrival, canapés, live entertainment, mask decorating and what's sure to be a spectacular balloon drop at midnight. Free entry. (SOLD OUT)
- A Night at Studio 54: Celebrate the arrival of 2022 with the magic of the New York City disco nightclub Studio 54 in this themed party at the Osbourne Hotel. Tickets from $132.96.
- Fluffy's NYE Neon Fantasy Party: A huge selection of DJs keep the party going all the way to midnight. Party your way across 4 floors and make the most of a 4-hour drinks package. Tickets from $52.25 per person.
New Year's Eve cruises from Brisbane
Fireworks views don't get much more front row than on a boat on the Brisbane River. Ring in the new year under the stars with one of these New Year’s Eve river cruises.
- Anyboat: Do it your way this year and hire out your own private wheels on water to party on until midnight (and even beyond). Anyboat has chartered boats for 24 and 76 guests with prices starting from $18 per person (based on a 76-person capacity boat).
- Riverlife's NYE White Party: Your ticket is a gateway to front row river seats, feasting on a range of canapés and enjoying the sounds of live music. Tickets from $189.93 per person.
- Brisbane Cruises: Spend New Year's Eve aboard a cruise where you'll have access to finger food, drinks, desserts and more.
Our top picks for New Year's Eve cruises in Brisbane:
New Year's Eve Cruise on Pure Adrenalin from AnyBoat NYE
- 4-hour private cruise on Brisbane river aboard a luxury motor yacht that's limited to 76 people
- Full catering is available onboard
- Price: $1,320 per hour
New Year's Eve Cruise on Aussie Princess from AnyBoat NYE
- Board Aussie Princess for a 4-hour private cruise and enjoy the view of Brisbane river
- Full BYO package is available
- Price: $700 per hour
Is your cruise missing from this list?
At-home dining options in Brisbane
Homemade Pasta Making Kit
Spanish Paella Kit
Perfect Pizza Oven At Home Kit
Things to do on New Year's Eve in Brisbane
Finish off 2021 with a bang with these epic experiences that are available on 31 December.
Escape Room Experience
Learn to Fly Discovery Flight with Video
Hot Air Balloon Flight & Breakfast
Paintball Half Day Games and 800 Paintballs
1.5 Hour Brisbane River Cruise
Sirromet Tour with Wine Tastings
Brisbane Go Karting
Oaks Charlotte Towers
Royal on the Park Hotel
Capri By Fraser
Adina Apartment Hotel Brisbane Anzac Square
Brisbane New Year's Eve FAQs
What is the weather like in Brisbane during New Year's Eve?
31 December is generally a warm one for Brisbane, boasting clear skies and temperatures in their mid-20s to 30s.
What are Brisbane's NYE road closures?
Typically, many of Brisbane CBD's roads close, some as early as 8am on 31 December. Check the Department of Transport and Main Roads' site before heading out to keep on top of specific road closures and times.
Is public transport free on New Year's Eve in Brisbane?
To reduce congestion on the roads, trains, ferries and buses are free to use on New Year's Eve from around 8:45pm on New Year's Eve to 5:30am on New Year's Day.
See the latest Brisbane deals
More guides on Finder
Back to School Laptops – Buying Guide
It's Back to School time and many families will be investing in a first laptop for their kids. But, what are the tings to watch out for when buying?
Bitcoin price dips below key level as Russia prepares for a blanket crypto ban
As Russia gets ready to outlaw its local crypto market, BTC could be faced with even greater volatility in the near future.
How to watch UFC 270 Ngannou vs Gane online and start time in Australia
Heavyweight stars Fancis Ngannou and Cyril Gane headline UFC 270.
Why has the Rio Tinto share price dropped today?
Shares in Rio Tinto have climbed more than 15% in the last month.
Today’s ASX top stocks: Stanmore Coal (SMR ↑5.2%), Kelly Partners Group Holdings (KPG ↑3.3%)
Here are the 10 biggest movers on the ASX for Friday 21 January 2022.
Beauty Product of the Week: Gisou Honey Infused Leave-In Conditioner
This leave-in conditioner transformed my unwashed mop into silky locks that would make Rapunzel envious.
Samsung confirms Galaxy S22 Ultra will be a Note phone
Samsung's next flagship S22 phone will be, in its own less than subtle phrasing, "noteworthy".
Top 10 TV shows in Australia this week and where to watch them
A fun superhero series, an epic sci-fi and a dark teen drama are among our top picks this week.
10 items on sale right now for you to add to cart immediately
I spend 90% of my time in the sale section, so here are the hottest products for you to check out before they sell out.
Ask an Expert