How to celebrate in style along the Brisbane River this New Years.
Brisbane's calling card and jewel crown is the Brisbane River. It's flanked on all sides by swanky bars, high-end restaurants and hotels and Brisbane’s vibrant nightlife scene.
It also lights up every New Year’s Eve with a spectacular fireworks display and a range of activities and parties for young and old.
Find out where it’s at in Brisbane this year with this guide.
When and where to watch the New Year’s Eve fireworks in Brisbane
The fireworks are set off all along the Brisbane River with the best vantage point being along South Bank.
There will be two shows:
- 8.30pm: Kids’ fireworks display
- Midnight: The main event
Where are the best spots to watch the New Year's Eve fireworks?
With fireworks being launched from 18 different sites along the river and from barges, the New Year's eve light display is one not to be missed.
|Location||What to expect|
|Clem Jones Promenade||Along South Bank, this spot offers great views over the river to the city. There will be food trucks and family-friendly movies playing.|
|Eagle Street Pier||The cosmopolitan restaurant and bar precinct is a stylish spot to take in the fireworks over a meal or a glass of bubbly. It will be packed, so book your table or get in early for the best views.|
|Brisbane City Botanic Gardens||Watch the show over the Brisbane River at the river bend.|
|Portside Wharf||Watch the fireworks show over the river from this precinct near the cruise terminal.|
|Mount Coot-tha||The iconic Mount Coot-tha is an unbeatable vantage point due to its height. You'll feel like you’re eye-to-eye with the display and enjoy a panoramic view of the whole city from here.|
New Year’s Eve Brisbane river cruises
When it comes to fireworks viewing spots, it doesn't get much more front row than on a boat on the Brisbane River. Ring in the new year under stars with these New Year’s Eve river cruises.
- Brisbane Cruises: Spend 5 hours on the Brisbane River aboard the MV Lady Brisbane, where you'll have access to finger foods, drinks, dessert and entertainment all evening until the fireworks at midnight. Tickets are $145 for adults and $65 for children.
- Kookaburra Showboat Cruises: Take in the city views from this river cruise that includes a seafood buffet dinner, glass of sparkling on arrival (bar on board for additional drinks) and live entertainment all night before watching the fireworks display. . Tickets are $195 for adults and $150 for children.
- Brisvegas Cruises: Party all night along the Brisvegas New Year's Eve cruise. Choose from an all-ages family sailing or an adults-only cruise. Both are 3.5 hours and include food and have a bar on board. Tickets are $95 for the adults-only cruise, $65 for adults on the family-friendly cruise and $45 for children on the family-friendly cruise. Family pack tickets are available for $200 (two adults and two children).
What's on? The New Year's Eve Brisbane events you'll want in on
The party didn't stop at these venues. Everything from burlesque to opera was buzzing at the stroke of midnight.
- QLP Pops New Year's Eve Gala: Dress up for the final concert of the year at the Concert Hall at QPAC. There will be a 5:30pm and 9pm show for the gala event with appearances by tenor Rosario La Spina, soprano Katie Spina and more. Tickets start at $90.
- New Year's Eve at Press Club: For the first time, cocktail bar Press Club is offering a food and drinks package for New Year's Eve. The four-hour pack includes select beers, wines and bubbly plus canapes and venue access. Tickets are $99.
- NYE Dinner Dance at Treasury Casino: Set to a six-piece swing band, join this dinner and dancing event at the Treasury Casino. You'll get a five-course dinner and 3.5-hour premium beverage package. TIckets are $165.
Keep an eye out for deals on New Year’s cruises in Brisbane and watch these sites:
About the hotel: Stay in luxury at Rydges South Bank and enjoy the close proximity to the South Bank Parklands, Eagle Street Pier and La Trobe Terrace. Or stay in and watch the fireworks from your private balcony.
About the hotel: Centrally located close to the East Pier Bridge and a short stroll from New Year’s Eve festivities, the Marriott offers luxurious accommodation with spa, sauna and massage facilities and a beauty centre.
About the hotel: Watch the fireworks from your window with a room facing the Brisbane River. The South Bank Parklands is a five-minute drive away and the action of LaTrobe Terrace and Eagle Street Pier are a short walk.
About the hotel: Sitting near Central Station in Brisbane's CBD, Sofitel is a short walk to the river where you can watch the New Year's fireworks. When you're not celebrating the new year, the 5-star property has a heated pool and spa features a chic bar and lounge.
About the hotel: If you prefer apartment-style accommodation, Mantra on the Quay is a central and elegant option that offers a pool, fitness facilities, a tennis court, a spa and a sauna in public areas.
About the hotel: Wake up to the beautiful Botanic Gardens and stay in the centre of Brisbane's bustling CBD. Perks include a fitness centre, free unlimited Wi-Fi, an outdoor pool and a business centre.