Celebrate in South Australia's capital with style with these top ideas for New Year’s Eve in Adelaide.
New Year's Eve party-goers in Adelaide had stacks of choice with a range of glamorous parties and family-friendly events on offer.
As it does every year, the City of Adelaide will put on a big splash at Elder Park, and the fireworks at Glenelg and Port Adelaide vie for attention with carnivals all day and night for the whole family.
So plan early to make the most of New Year’s Eve in Adelaide to ring in 2019.
Where to watch the New Year’s Eve fireworks
The 2018/2019 programs for New Year's Eve fireworks haven't been announced yet, but here's what happened during the 2017/2018 event as we've found it's quite similar each year. There's three main events happening across Adelaide's CBD and suburbs:
- New Year’s Eve at the Bay, Glenelg and Brighton Foreshore. Fireworks at 9.30pm and midnight. Get down to Holdfast Bay to ring in 2018. The free, family-friendly event includes kids’ entertainment, live music and food and drink stalls. The festivities kick off at 5:30pm and the early fireworks show will be at Glenelg and Brighton jetties. The main fireworks show at midnight will be at Glenelg jetty only.
- City of Adelaide fireworks at Elder Park. Fireworks at 9pm and midnight. Locals know Elder Park well. It's the heart of the action every year with live music, dance groups, food and drink and front-row fireworks right on the river. It’s a classic choice for New Year’s Eve and is also child-friendly. Festivities begin at 6pm.
- Semaphore Beach Fireworks, Port Adelaide. Fireworks at 9:30pm and midnight. Bring the whole family for a night of festivities with a carnival-themed party flanked by the bustling streets of Port Adelaide. It’s a free event and offers a family-friendly firework time of 9:30pm, followed by the big event at midnight.
What's on? The New Year's Eve Adelaide events going on in and around the city
Details for some 2018/2019 New Year's events haven't been announced yet, but here's what happened in 2017/2018 to get you excited for this year's events. We'll add more to this page as details are announced:
- Hilton Adelaide's New Year's Eve Dinner in Coal Cellar: Sit down to a 5-course dinner before counting down to the big event in The Collins Bar at the luxe Hilton. Tickets are $145.
- Glenelg Pier Hotel: Right by the beach in Glenelg, this event includes a 2.5-hour canape and drinks package from 9pm (including wine, beer and cider) and champagne at midnight. Tickets are $99.
- Masquerade Ball at Stamford Hotel in Glenelg: Don your mask for this mysterious event featuring a four-course dinner and five-hour drinks package before ringing in the new year. Tickers are $159.
- Prohibition Party at Stamford Hotel in Glenelg: All about glitz and glamour, this party is themed after the roaring 20s, but don't worry, alcohol isn't prohibited. The night includes a 2-hour canape and sweet package and 4.5 hours of drinks. Tickets are $120.
- Great Gatsby Party at Stamford Hotel in Adelaide: Champagne, dancing, swing music and all things 1920s are the name of the game at the Stamford Plaza's Great Gatsby-themed New Year's Eve event, complete with a four-course dinner and five-hour drinks package. Tickets from $169.
Keep an eye out for deals on New Year’s cruises in Adelaide and watch these sites:
Where to stay on New Year’s Eve in Adelaide
The Playford Adelaide
Peppers Waymouth Hotel
Stamford Plaza Adelaide
Mercure Grosvenor Hotel Adelaide
Adina Apartment Hotel Adelaide Treasury