Celebrate in South Australia's capital with style with these top ideas for New Year’s Eve in Adelaide.
New Year's Eve party-goers in Adelaide had stacks of choice with a range of glamorous parties and family-friendly events on offer.
As it does every year, the City of Adelaide will put on a big splash at Elder Park, and the fireworks at Glenelg and Port Adelaide vie for attention with carnivals all day and night for the whole family.
So plan early to make the most of New Year’s Eve in Adelaide to ring in 2018.
Where to watch the New Year’s Eve fireworks
While details of the 2017 fireworks haven't been announced yet, here's what happened in 2016:
- New Year’s Eve at the Bay, Glenelg and Brighton Foreshore. Fireworks at 9.30pm and midnight. Get down to Holdfast Bay for New Year’s Eve @ the Bay. The free, family-friendly event includes kids’ entertainment, live music and food and drink stalls. The festivities kick off at 5:30pm and the early fireworks show will be at Glenelg and Brighton jetties. The main fireworks show at midnight will be at Glenelg jetty only.
- City of Adelaide fireworks at Elder Park. Fireworks at 9pm and midnight. Locals know Elder Park well. It's the heart of the action every year with live music, food and drink and front-row fireworks right on the river. It’s a classic choice for New Year’s Eve and is also child-friendly. Festivities begin at 6pm.
- Semaphore Beach Fireworks, Port Adelaide. Fireworks at 9:30pm and midnight. Bring the whole family for a full day and night of festivities with a carnival, waterslide and a ferris wheel flanked by the bustling streets of Port Adelaide. It’s free and starts at 6pm. 2016 will be the inaugural year of earlier 9:30pm fireworks so the little ones won't miss out.
What's on? The New Year's Eve Adelaide events going on in and around the city
The 2017 events haven't been announced yet, but as most are annual parties and dinners, here's what you can expect to pop up later in the year.
- The Playford. That luxurious night in starts at The Playford with a 5 course dinner in its restaurant. When you're all sated, head to the Lounge to drink in the sounds of the local band as they play until the clock strikes 12.
- Adelaide Casino. "Bling" in the new year in one of Adelaide Casino's restaurants and you'll not only get one of the best views in the city... you'll also get some of the best entertainment, too. Expect contortionists, acrobats, magicians and sword swallowers throughout. Various seatings and packages available.
- BBL Adelaide Strikers. The Adelaide Strikers' traditional New Years Eve double-header is a institution. This year the Strikers take on the Perth Scorchers in the afternoon and then the Sydney Sixers at night.