What to do on New Year’s Eve in Adelaide 2020/2021
Celebrate in South Australia's capital in style with these top ideas for New Year's Eve in Adelaide.
Updated . What changed?
We’re reader-supported and may be paid when you visit links to partner sites. We don’t compare all products in the market, but we’re working on it!
The below information is for New Year's Eve 2020/2021. We'll update this page with information about the 2021/2022 events once available.
New Year's Eve party-goers in Adelaide aren't short on anything, from glamorous parties to family-friendly events.
This year, events including The City of Adelaide's big splash at Elder Park and the fireworks have been cancelled. Instead, New Year's Eve celebrations will be be spread out with smaller events across Adelaide.
Where to watch the New Year’s Eve fireworks in Adelaide
The traditional fireworks displays at Elder Park, Glenelg and Brighton Foreshore as well as Semaphore Beach will not be going ahead this year in response to COVID-19.
Instead, smaller events will take place across Adelaide to ensure social distancing measures are in place.
What's on? The best New Year's Eve parties, events and dinners in Adelaide
New Year's Eve is going to look a little different this year. But you can still get out and about with these parties and dinners.
- Intercontinental Adelaide New Year's Eve: Riverside Restaurant is where all the cool kids will be on New Year's Eve. Its celebration features a four-course dinner and riverside views.
- Coal Cellar + Grill: Because who wants to cook on NYE? Let the chefs at Coal Cellar + Grill do the hard work for you as you welcome 2021.
- Federal Bar and Restaurant: Sort out your NYE plans with dinner and a complimentary glass of sparkling wine upon arrival.
- Strathmore Hotel: Take your pick between imperial pints and cocktail specials this NYE. Oh, and did we mention they'll be $10? What a way to bring in the new year.
- The District at Skycity: Enjoy a drink and a headlining act by Dusty Lee & Co at the District. From 6pm.
- The Guardsman: Let someone else do the cooking with The Guardsman A La Carte menu this NYE. Drinks will be served throughout the themed evening.
- Timmy Trumpet at Summer Sounds Festival: Kick 2021 into gear with Timmy Trumpet at the Summer Sounds Festival. Dance your heart out at this open-air event in your own group pod.
- The Stag Public House Party: Enjoy free entry, goodbye 2020 shot specials, dinner and live performances this NYE.
- Skyline New Year's Eve Dinner: For a more relaxed itinerary this NYE head to Skyline Restaurant to be treated to a impeccable five-course dinner and live entertainment.
- NYE at the Benji: Throw it back to the 80s with costumes, drink specials, prizes for best dressed and the iconic 80's tunes by Vonni in the Beer Garden.
- NOLA's New Years Party: We may not be seeing international travel this NYE but NOLA's is giving you the full New Orlean's extravaganza. Enjoy mystery beers on the hour every hour.
- New Years Eve at The Lion: Say goodbye to 2020 at The Lion with a prohibition-era costumed experience. The evening will play host to champagne towers, live entertainment and more. Prizes to be won for best-dressed.
- Massaoke Oz at Summer Sounds Festival: Rock on this NYE with classics from the 70s, 80s and 90s. Bookings are made in pods with 4-6 individuals allowed in each group.
- Gallery Rooftop New Years Eve: Combine gorgeous rooftop views, live DJs, canapés and a selection of alcohol at the Gallery Rooftop as you countdown 2021.
- New Year's Eve at Shiki: Treat yourself to world-class service and a culinary experience this NYE with Shiki's Japanese menu.
- New Year's at Riverside Restaurant: Indulge in a five-course menu featuring honey-glazed duck breast, West Coast oysters, South Australian lamb shanks and ricotta tarts as you bring in the new year. Sittings from 5:30pm and 9pm.
Is your event missing from this list?
New Year's Eve Big Bash
Watching the cricket on New Year's Eve is an annual tradition that is not being scrapped for the year. The game will see the Adelaide Strikers take on the Perth Scorchers at Adelaide Oval. Kicks off is at 6:45pm
Things to do on New Year's Eve in Adelaide
Finish off 2020 with a bang with these epic experiences that are available on 31 December.
Adelaide Oval roof climb - daytime
River Torrens sightseeing cruise
Mega Adventure Obstacle Park admission
Virtual reality experience
Glenelg Beach segway tour
Half-day North Haven fishing
What is Adelaide doing for New Year's Eve to ensure it's COVID-safe?
- Fireworks events: Due to the pandemic Adelaide has cancelled its fireworks events. It's encouraging its residents to celebrate in a more spread-out manner by tucking into local, ticketed events such as dining packages.
- Restaurants and events: While restaurants and events are not permitted to have anyone attend, by New Year's Eve this may change. The most recent restrictions allowed up to 100 people to dine in a restaurant on New Year's Eve, in groups of up to 10 people. With limitations in place across various venues and restrictions in place, book far in advance to avoid disappointment, especially if you're a larger group.
- Getting around safely: This year's scheduled events include street performances and outdoor seating on footpaths and roads. While exact locations have still not been announced, expect there to be road closures in the city on New Year's Eve.
Celebrating New Year's Eve at home in Adelaide: What's allowed
- Gathering sizes: At this time, no gatherings are permitted. Prior to the November lockdown, you could gather in groups of up to 10 indoors. It's unclear whether this number will change after lockdown.
- Airing of New Year's Eve fireworks on TV: A surefire way to avoid crowds on New Year's Eve is to stay home and watch the fireworks display on TV. Details of where the Adelaide display will be aired aren't available, but if you're keen to celebrate early, the Sydney display will be aired on the ABC.
Where to stay on New Year’s Eve in Adelaide
Atura Adelaide Airport
Miller Apartments Adelaide
Majestic Minima Hotel
iStay Precinct Adelaide
Majestic Roof Garden Hotel
See the latest Adelaide deals
More guides on Finder
How to watch Sydney’s New Year’s Eve fireworks | Ticketholders have access, but you still have options [Updated]
The Sydney New Year's Eve fireworks have been given the green light for 2020/2021. Here's how to enjoy them in a COVIDSafe way while still distancing.
Morphe New Year’s Eve 2019 collection: When and where you can shop
This is your first look at Morphe's New Year's Eve 2019 collection – see all the products (and swatches) here.
Full-service flights to Hong Kong for New Year’s from $653 return
EXPIRED: Cathay Pacific has your winter, spring and New Year's holiday breaks sorted.
4 sailings that will have you celebrating New Year’s Eve on a cruise
Ring in the new year at sea with these celebratory New Year's Eve cruises.
New Year’s Eve in Darwin 2020/2021 | What’s happening on NYE
The ultimate guide to New Year's Eve celebratory dinners, cruises, hotels and fireworks in Darwin.
New Year’s Eve in Byron Bay 2020/2021 | What’s happening on NYE
What's on in Byron Bay on New Year's Eve, including NYE dinner packages, parties and events throughout town.
New Year’s Eve in Cairns 2020/2021
The best vantage points, restaurants and parties to ring in the new year in Cairns.
New Year’s Eve in Hobart 2020/2021 | What’s happening on NYE
The best events, firework viewpoints and hotels to book for New Year’s Eve in Hobart.
New Year’s Eve on the Gold Coast 2020/2021 | What’s happening on NYE
From prime vantage points to cruises, island parties to restaurants, here's your hot list of where to celebrate New Year's Eve on the Gold Coast.
Top hotels to book on New Year’s Eve fireworks in Melbourne
Ring in 2021 then rest your head at these top Melbourne hotels.
Ask an Expert