Your guide to property titles in NSW

Rates and Fees verified correct on April 23rd, 2017

Learn the ins and outs of property ownership in New South Wales (NSW)

NSW property ownership guideIf you own property or are looking to buy property in NSW, it’s worth knowing how property ownership works, where you can access relevant information, the role of authorities such as Land and Property Information (LPI), and what to do in the event that you need to change ownership structure of your land (plus the costs involved).

NSW property and land ownership

Property ownership records are governed by LPI under the Torrens title system. The Torrens title system gives landowners validation and security of property ownership in NSW.

How to access property title information

The most common way to access property title information is online. LPI provides easy online access to many of the land title records of NSW through the LPI Online Shop.

Otherwise, you can request information over the client services counter at LPI Queens Square, Sydney.

Back to top

Changing property ownership

How to add a partner's name to the title

If you’d like to add your partner’s name to the title or transfer property ownership, you should notify your lender before you begin the process.

To add someone’s name to the property title, you will need to obtain a transfer form from the LPI website under "Land title dealing forms". To complete the transfer form correctly, make sure:

  • You record your partner’s name as transferee part (H)
  • You choose the form of tenancy (H) either joint tenants or tenants in common
  • You sign as the transferor
  • Both of you sign as the transferees

Next, complete and lodge a Notice of Sale (NOS) form which you can access from the LPI Online Shop. Once you’ve done this, access your original Certificate of Title (currently held by you or your lender) and any mortgage documents prepared by your lender.

Your lender can lodge the documents and the Certificate of Title on your behalf once you’ve completed the Transfer Form and had it approved by the State Office of Revenue (OSR).

For more tips about how to fill out the property transfer form, check out our article here.

Back to top

How to change the name of an owner on the certificate of title (if they are remaining on the title)?

If you have changed your name since you were recorded on the land title, you can apply to LPI to have your new name reflected on the property title.

You’ll need to submit:

  • Change of Name form 10CN. This form can be accessed from the LPI website.
  • Notice of Sale (NOS) or Transfer of land form. Both of these forms can be accessed from the LPI website.
  • Certificate of title. The current version of the Certificate of Title will need to be lodged with your Change of Name and Notice of Sale (NOS) forms. If your property is mortgaged, you’ll need to contact your lender and ask them to provide your Certificate of Title at LPI to formally register your name change.
  • Identification/Evidence. You’ll need to supply two forms of ID evidence, such as an Australian birth certificate or a current Australian driver’s licence. To view the full evidence list, visit the LPI website. The evidence required may vary slightly depending on the reason for the name change. For instance, if you changed your name due to marriage, you’ll need to attach a copy of the Marriage Certificate which is issued by the Registry of Births. If you changed your name due to divorce, you will need to state this in part 3 of the statutory declaration on the Change of Name 10CN form.
Back to top

Transferring an interest in a torrens property title

If you’d like to transfer an interest or a share of your land to another person, such as a family member or friend, you need to lodge a Transfer form 01T and a Notice of Sale or Transfer of Land form.

You’ll need to submit the following to LPI:

  • Transfer form 01T (approved by the Office of State Revenue) or a Transfer Severing Joint Tenancy form 01TJ
  • Notice of Sale or Transfer of Land (NOS) form
  • Original Certificate of Title for the relevant property
  • Statutory declaration
  • Lodgement fee

The transfer forms can be accessed online through the LPI website or from the client services counter at the LPI Sydney office.

For more information about how to change property ownership and the costs involved, visit the LPI website or check out our guide.

Back to top

LPI service fees

The below is a summary of some of the main fees charged for NSW land title registration services:

Service typeExample servicesCost
Dealings and related documents
  • The amendment of a certificate of title
  • Change of name
  • Discharge of mortgage
$109.50 (per service)
General register of deeds
  • Registering or recording a deed or power of attorney
$105.50 (per service)
Plans and related documents
  • Change of by-laws or change of address of an owners corporation
$109.50 (per service)

For more details about the LPI service costs, please visit the LPI website.

Back to top

Prefer to speak to someone about your stamp duty exemptions?

Rates last updated April 23rd, 2017
Details Features
Commonwealth Financial Planning
Commonwealth Financial Planning
Free initial consultation offer with a financial planner Commonwealth Financial Planners could help you:
  • Grow your super
  • Insure your family and assets
  • Plan your investments
  • Prepare for retirement
Enquire More info

Image: Shutterstock

Was this content helpful to you? No  Yes

Related Posts

HSBC Home Value Loan - Resident Owner Occupier only

Enjoy the low variable rate with $0 ongoing fee and borrow up to 90% LVR.

Newcastle Permanent Building Society Premium Plus Package Home Loan - New Customer Offer ($150,000+ Owner Occupier, P&I)

Apply for a new owner occupier loan or refinance from another lender and receive this discounted rate.

Ask a Question

You are about to post a question on

  • Do not enter personal information (eg. surname, phone number, bank details) as your question will be made public
  • is a financial comparison and information service, not a bank or product provider
  • We cannot provide you with personal advice or recommendations
  • Your answer might already be waiting – check previous questions below to see if yours has already been asked

Disclaimer: At we provide factual information and general advice. Before you make any decision about a product read the Product Disclosure Statement and consider your own circumstances to decide whether it is appropriate for you.
Rates and fees mentioned in comments are correct at the time of publication.
By submitting this question you agree to the privacy policy, receive follow up emails related to and to create a user account where further replies to your questions will be sent.

Ask a question