Finder Opal fare calculator: How much will your trip cost?
Calculate your next fare.
We’re reader-supported and may be paid when you visit links to partner sites. We don’t compare all products in the market, but we’re working on it!
Use the official Transport NSW trip planner fare calculator below, or find your price in the fare table.
Opal fares are based off distance travelled, with a set price for certain distance ranges. These are different for trains, buses, ferries and light rail.
|0-3 km||3-8 km||Over 8 km|
|Adult Opal Card||$2.24||$3.73||$4.80|
|All concession Opal Cards||$1.12||$1.86||$2.40|
|Less than 9 km||More than 9 km|
|Adult Opal Card||$6.12||$7.65|
|Child and Student Opal Card||$3.06||$3.82|
|Gold Opal Card||$2.50||$2.50|
|0-3 km||3-8 km|
|All Concession Opal Cards||$1.12||$1.86|
Train fares work differently. You can use this calculator or find your price in the table below.
- +3.21 km is added to trip distance if your train passes through Wynyard, Kings Cross or Central Station.
- Trains will not always use the shortest available route to calculate your distance travelled.
- You get 30% off when travelling off-peak, on weekends or on public holidays.
|0-10 km||10-20 km||20-35 km||35-65 km||More than 65 km|
|Adult Opal Card||$3.61||$4.48||$5.15||$6.89||$8.86|
|Child and Student Opal Card||$1.80||$2.24||$2.57||$3.44||$4.43|
|Gold Opal Card||$1.80||$2.24||$2.50||$2.50||$2.50|
- Once you complete eight journeys between Monday and Sunday, your fares for the rest of the week are half price.
- You get $2 off ($1 for concession cards) when you transfer to a different mode of transport within an hour.
- Any trips on the same mode of transport, within an hour of each other, will count as one trip.
- By playing your cards right you can earn rewards points by topping up your Opal card.
Want to skip public transport all together? See our deals for cheap ride shares
More guides on Finder
Earn rewards by linking your Opal to your credit card
See how many points you could earn per year by topping up your Opal card with your credit card.
It’s official: Opal hacking is dead, but fares won’t rise in NSW
Existing fares for public transport are frozen, but the Weekly Travel Reward is changing.
Opal hacking is dead: How will public transport charges in Sydney change?
There will be no more free journeys come July.
Why using your credit card is better than having an Opal card
NSW Transport will trial an upgrade to the Opal service that will allow cardholders to tap on and off with their debit or credit card.
NSW Government secretly closes Opal loopholes
Tightening of Opal fare rules will break popular Opal "hacks" at Pyrmont and Erskineville.
Opal fare changes: Use our tool to find out how you will be affected
Sydney commuters who have to switch modes of transport will save while those who travel frequently are likely to be worse off.
Ask an Expert