New Hotels: New York City, Langkawi, Oahu
A weekly roundup of new hotel openings around the world.
We take a look at hotels that have just opened, hotels that are in the works and major hotel changes across the globe.
Just opened: Moxy Times Square, New York City
Moxy Times Square is the latest hotel to open in the city with a spin. The hotel is targeted at millennials with stylish apartment style rooms for a low cost that aims to compete with Airbnb.
The 612 rooms are designed with all guests in mind, different from a typical hotel room. Fold away furniture is available so guests can customize how they want their rooms.
There are no front desks at this hotel but you will find three rooftop cocktail bars, two restaurants plus an egg sandwich shop all on-site.
- Opened: 25 September 2017
- Rooms start from: USD$288 (AUD$361.50), guest room, double
- Anything else I need to know? Aside from foldaway furniture, Moxy Times Square offers rooms with king, queen and double beds. Rooms with double beds feature 1, 2 or 4 loft style double beds.
- Book: Moxy Times Square
Just opened: The Ritz-Carlton Langkawi, Langkawi
The latest Ritz-Carlton opened on the Malaysian island of Langkawi last week in a private bay for a unique, luxurious and authentic retreat.
The hotel features 70 guest rooms, 29 villas and 15 suites with views of the surrounding rainforest and ocean. The design was created to reflect the traditional villages nearby and was made to incorporate into the island's ecosystem and local culture.
There are four dining options on-site, all with views of the Andaman Sea, a beachfront pool, an adults-only infinity pool, a spa, tennis court, indoor and outdoor yoga and kid friendly amenities.
- Opened: 22 September 2017
- Rooms start from: MYR1723 (AUD$517), rainforest deluxe king
- Anything else I need to know? Guests are invited to write their names on a flat stone that will then be placed in the water along the Walkway of Wishes.
- Book: The Ritz-Carlton Langkawi
Just opened: Embassy Suites by Hilton Oahu Kapolei, Kapolei
Embassy Suites by Hilton, an all-suite brand, opened its doors last weekend in a central location in Kapolei.
The newly built hotel features 180 one- and two-bedroom suites that are spacious and styled with Hawaiian decor. Some feature an ocean view.
Hotel amenities include an outdoor pool with a sundeck, whirlpool, lounge bar and a grill. Breakfast is cooked to order every morning and there are complimentary nightly cocktails.
- Opened: 22 September 2017
- Rooms start from: USD$319 (AUD$400.50), one-room premium studio suite
- Anything else I need to know? A complimentary shuttle bus brings guests to Ko'Olina Beach and Lagoons and White Plains Beach.
- Book: Embassy Suites by Hilton Oahu Kapolei
Just opened: Sonesta Hotel Bucaramanga, Colombia
Sonesta International Hotels Corporation announced the opening of its sixth hotel in Colombia last week as a part of the Parque Caracoli development which is a retail, entertainment and business hub.
The hotel is made up of 104 rooms that have up to quadruple capacity. Its location is central with popular shopping centres, restaurants and cafes near-by.
Hotel amenities include a fitness centre, a pool, seven meeting rooms, a restaurant and lounge.
- Opened: 21 September 2017
- Rooms start from: USD$75 (AUD$95), Standard King
- Book: Sonesta Hotel Bucaramanga
Opening soon: InterContinental Perth City Centre, Perth
This October InterContinental Perth City Centre opens and debuts its Gallery Meeting Suites which is a dedicated floor for business and private events.
The new concept features four meeting rooms with access to the chef’s pantry which is a lounge filled with healthy snacks and refreshments. An outdoor terrace is also available for up to 70 guests.
16 storeys high, the hotel features 240 guest rooms, suites and studios. Rooms and the common areas are stylishly designed with elegant features and dramatic lighting.
- Opening: 15 October 2017
- Rooms start from: $335.12, classic king
- Book: InterContinental Perth City Centre
Opening soon: Hotel Republic San Diego, San Diego
A new Autograph Hotel is rebranding from the former San Diego W Hotel to Hotel Republic San Diego/ Set to open its doors mid-October, it'll become the city’s latest boutique luxury hotel.
The hotel is located in the downtown civic district and on the spot of the historic San Diego Steam Laundry Company building. 258 rooms are set to become an area for a new social and business hub in San Diego.
There is little known about the amenities but the hotel promises they will contribute to an insider experience. Local culinary talent will be featured.
- Opening: Mid-October 2017
- Rooms start from: TBA, visit Hotel Republic for more information
- Book: TBD, visit Hotel Republic for more information
IHG announces new midscale brand, avid hotels
The new brand, logo and examples of the hotels exterior and guests rooms were revealed last week in Sydney. The brand was made for travellers looking for hotel basics that are done well but with a price point that is $10-15 lower than IHG’s successful leading midscale brand Holiday Inn Express. The first hotels are expected to open in early 2019 in the US.
One of a kind hostel featured along Gold Coast's foreshore
For three days only (20-22 September) a hostel made of sand popped up which used approximately 24 tonnes of sand to build. The hostel was designed by Lively Worldwide and Jon Dowding, a production designer for films such as Mad Max. Hostelworld and Gold Coast Tourism teamed up to open the exclusive accommodation to "challenge the perception of hostels".
Feature image: The Ritz-Carlton Langkawi