Netflix is getting into the drug business
Smoking is the next frontier for the streaming giant.
No longer content with dominating the world of streaming TV, Netflix has decided to add weed-farmer to its resume.
To promote its new comedy series Disjointed, which sees Kathy Bates running a cannabis shop in Los Angeles, the streaming service is developing unique strains of marijuana inspired by its most weed-happy shows. Along with Disjointed itself, BoJack Horseman will be getting a strain called 'Prickly Muffin', Arrested Development will huff the 'Banana Stand Kush' and Orange is the New Black will get feisty with the 'Poussey Riot'.
Unfortunately, you won't be signing up to an all-you-can-smoke subscription service any time soon, as US federal regulations mean Netflix can't sell marijuana by mail order. Instead, these promotional strains will be on sale at a pop-up shop at Alternative Health Herbal Services in West Hollywood.
We've seen some weird promotions before, but we can safely say this one hits a new high.
- Netflix Australia vs Prime Video: Price, content and features compared
- Stan is giving eBay Plus subscribers 3 months free access to its movie and TV library
- This week in streaming: Netflix brings back Wilson Fisk and Supergirl swoops back onto Foxtel
- Gem Finder: Starring Jim Carrey, Kidding is both heartbreaking and hilarious
- This week in streaming: Brave a haunted house with Netflix or fend off The Walking Dead with Foxtel