Netflix gives us our first look at Atypical
The dark and quirky comedy will release in full on August 11.
Netflix has dropped the first trailer for Atypical, the latest show to join its growing line of original content. Atypical centres on Sam, an 18-year-old boy who is on the autism spectrum. Sam has to deal with not only the regular challenges of teenage life, but the many difficulties that come from being "atypical" in the eyes of his peers.
Being a little different isn't going to stop Sam from living a full life, though, and on the advice of his therapist, he decides to seek out a relationship. What follows promises to be a unique take on the coming-of-age story that combines the drama of Sam's condition with the levity of his loving, wacky family.
Atypical comes from the mind of Robia Rashid who previously wrote and co-produced How I Met Your Mother seasons four to seven. British actor Keir Gilchrist (United States of Tara, It Follows) plays the role of Sam, while Jennifer Jason Leigh (Fast Times at Ridgemont High, The Hateful Eight) and Michael Rapaport (Justified, Prison Break) play his mother and father respectively.
All eight episodes of Atypical's first season will hit Netflix on August 11.
- Netflix Australia vs Prime Video: Price, content and features compared
- Stan is giving eBay Plus subscribers 3 months free access to its movie and TV library
- This week in streaming: Netflix brings back Wilson Fisk and Supergirl swoops back onto Foxtel
- Gem Finder: Starring Jim Carrey, Kidding is both heartbreaking and hilarious
- This week in streaming: Brave a haunted house with Netflix or fend off The Walking Dead with Foxtel