Netflix adds Kick-Ass, Kingsman and Wanted to its comic-book line-up
Acclaimed comic book writer Mark Millar joins the Netflix family.
Netflix has announced its first-ever acquisition today, and it's a doozy. Millarworld, the comic book publisher founded by notable writer Mark Millar, is now a wholly-owned subsidiary of Netflix, bringing along its vast library of acclaimed characters and stories.
Millar has penned some of the most popular comics in recent times, including Kick-Ass, Kingsman and Wanted, all of which Netflix plans to take advantage of with original movies, series and kids' shows. Millar and his team will also be creating entirely new franchises exclusively for Netflix over the coming years.
According to Netflix chief content officer Ted Sarandos, this is only the third time such a major comic book company has been purchased outright. Sarandos considers Millar the closest thing there is to a modern-day Stan Lee, which is a big claim considering Netflix's partnership with Marvel and Lee himself.
In addition to Millar's original creations, the comic book writer was also responsible for the stories that inspired the first Avenger's film, Captain America: Civil War and Logan.
- Where to watch the 2018 Giro d’Italia online in Australia
- Where to watch the A-League Grand Final online in Australia
- Stan on Qantas: Romper Stomper, No Activity and other originals incoming
- Chromecast Ultra review: Google’s simple streaming solution
- View Finder: Thinking of heading to the movies? Deux it