NCM Bikes review
Your guide to German electric bike manufacturer NCM and its range of budget-friendly e-bikes.
If you’re shopping around for a new electric bike, you may have come across NCM. This German manufacturer offers a range of city, folding and mountain electric bikes, with many models priced at less than $2,000.
If you’re considering buying an electric bike from NCM Bikes, keep reading to find out about the manufacturer’s pricing, model range, and pros and cons.
Who is NCM Bikes?
Founded in 2014, NCM Bikes is an electric bike manufacturer headquartered in Hanover, Germany. NCM is a brand of Leon Cycle, and its bikes are largely distributed via Leon Cycle's sales network — check out our Leon Cycle review for more information.
The provider has an Australian branch in Mulgrave, Victoria, and also has locations in China, the USA, Spain and France.
How does NCM Bikes work?
NCM manufactures pedelec-style electric bikes. Its range of bikes includes folding e-bikes, city e-bikes and e-mountain bikes, with bicycles including both in-house components and parts from third-party manufacturers.
Many NCM models come fitted with parts manufactured by other brands under the Leon Cycle umbrella, including motors from Das-Kit and batteries from DEHAWK.
What electric bikes does NCM Bikes offer?
NCM Bikes manufactures electric bikes to suit a range of different riding styles. Options include:
- Electric city bikes. Designed for urban use, these e-bikes feature 250W batteries and can be kitted out with extras like pannier racks and lights.
- Electric mountain bikes. NCM offers a choice of five electric bikes for off-road use, including the Moscow Plus electric mountain bike and the Aspen fat bike.
- Electric folding bikes. There are five folding bikes in the NCM range, with a battery capacity of up to 684Wh and a compact design that makes the bikes easy to transport.
- Electric cruising bikes. NCM offers one cruiser e-bike, the Miami, which features a 768Wh battery and a potential range of up to 150km.
NCM e-bikes typically come with a two-year warranty on the frame and on the motor, sensor, display, controller, throttle, charger and wiring. Batteries come with a one-year warranty.
Find an NCM Bike for you
How much does an electric bike from NCM Bikes cost?
The exact price of NCM electric bikes varies depending on the model you choose and the dealer you purchase from.
However, bikes are generally priced between $1,400 and $2,300, which puts NCM bikes at the entry-level end of the price spectrum.
If you buy your NCM bicycle online through Leon Cycle, free standard shipping is available around Australia (but a shipping fee may apply on deliveries to some remote locations).
Pros and cons of NCM Bikes
- Affordably-priced electric bikes. At the time of writing, the most expensive e-bike in the NCM range was priced at less than $2,300.
- Wide range of models. NCM Bikes offers e-bikes for city and off-road use, plus folding models for added portability.
- Choice of motors. NCM models feature a mix of rear-drive, front-drive and mid-mount motors to suit different budgets and riding needs.
- Australian network. NCM is a brand of Leon Cycle, which offers a network of Australian partner dealers to help with bike assembly, servicing and test-rides.
- A relatively new brand. NCM is not as widely recognised as some other e-bike manufacturers and hasn't been established for as long as some of its competitors.
- Entry-level bikes. NCM's models feature entry-level pricing, so you may find that some bikes from other manufacturers feature higher-end components.
- Doesn't sell traditional bicycles. If you're looking for a traditional bicycle rather than an electric bike, you'll need to shop elsewhere.
- No dual-suspension models. NCM doesn't offer any dual-suspension e-mountain bikes, so you'll need to look elsewhere if you don't want a hardtail mountain bike.
Is an e-bike from NCM Bikes right for me?
If you're searching for an electric bike with an entry-level price tag, NCM is a brand you're likely to come across. With a range of folding, city and e-mountain bikes priced in the $1,400-$2,300 range, it offers several models worth considering.
Of course, whether or not an electric bike from NCM bikes is right for you depends on a wide range of factors. Your riding style and budget will need to be taken into account, as must the features of different models and your level of comfort on the bike.
You'll need to compare a range of options before deciding on the right electric bike for your needs. If possible, test-ride a number of models before making your final decision.Back to top