Mix and match one of Navy Health's 5 hospital policies and 4 extras policies to create the perfect combination.
If you're an Australian Defence Forces (ADF) member, employee, contractors or immediate family member, you have access to a wide range of health insurance options from Navy Health.
Give yourself complete cover by choosing one 5 hospital policies for in-hospital treatments and one of 4 extras policies for dental, optical and a range of therapies.
Top 3 features
- Good for someone who likes customisable cover. The ability to mix and match your policies means you can create the policy you want.
- Good for active service members. You can suspend your cover while stationed overseas without suspending cover for your kids and other dependants back home.
- Beware if you're not affiliated with the ADF. Only members, employees, contractors and their families can apply.
What Navy Health combined policies are available?
You can mix and match most combinations of hospital and extras cover from Navy Health from their selection of 5 hospital policies and 4 extras policies:
|Hospital Policies||Extras Policies|
|Public Hospital||Basic Extras|
|Saver Hospital||Saver Plus Extras|
|Core Hospital||Healthy Living Extras|
|Premium Gold Hospital||Premium Extras|
|Corporate Gold Hospital|
Navy Health offers a single combined package option, called Saver Plus but it's essentially no different that mixing and matching the Saver Hospital and Saver Plus Extras Policies. It's designed to be a practical and affordable option for the relatively young and healthy, covering only those treatments they are most likely to use.
Here's what they cover:
|Saver Hospital||Saver Plus Extras|
|Palliative care||General dental|
|Tonsils and adenoids||Major dental|
|Appendicitis||Chiro, osteo and physio|
|Wisdom teeth||Non-PBS pharmaceuticals|
|Early release home nursing|
|Cardiac and cardiac-related services|
|Pregnancy and pregnancy-related services|
Other benefits of Navy Health combined policies
Navy Health offers additional benefits for current ADF members, or those entering or leaving the service:
- A 10% discount for serving members and eligible reservists
- Waiving of waiting periods when signing up within 90 days of discharge
- Dependents only cover options, for currently serving members to find more cost-effective cover for their dependents and family only.
- ADF personnel can suspend their cover when posted overseas, or when they move into continuous full-time service.
- All extras services except for natural therapies and non-PBS pharmacy are eligible for gap cover under the National ADF Family Health Program.
How do the costs work?
The amount you pay toward your treatment differs for hospital policies and extras policies.
For the hospital portion of your policy, you will be responsible to pay your excess and your gap, which is what the private doctor charges over and above the standard benefit limit. You may also have to pay some incidental costs like a co-payment toward your accommodation and a portion of your medication costs. Medicare and Navy Health will take care of the rest.
For the extras portion, you'll get a rebate for each covered treatment. It might be a set amount, like $60 for your initial consultation with a dietician. Or it can be a percentage, like 85% of the cost of orthopaedic appliances. You'll be responsible for the rest, and you won't be eligible for any more rebates for a particular service when you reach the benefit limit for that service.
Waiting periods and limitations
The following waiting periods apply to hospital cover:
- 12 months: Pregnancy related admissions, as well as pre-existing conditions
- 2 months: All other treatments, as well as psychiatric, rehabilitation and palliative care regardless of whether or not it's pre-existing.
Extras waiting periods are:
- 12 months: Major dental
- 6 months: Optical
- 2 months: General dental and everything else
How to make a claim
You can make claims:
- Electronically. Simply swipe your membership card after receiving a service, and pay any difference.
- Online. Login to the Navy Health members area to claim extras services online, except for orthodontics, appliances and pharmacy.
- Post, email or fax. Complete a Navy Health claims form and send it in. You will then receive a direct debit payment into your nominated account.