Why combine hospital and extras cover with Navy Health?
Navy Health is a fund for current or former Australian Defence Forces (ADF) members, reservists or cadets, or employees of a contractor to the ADF.
Eligible family members of any of the above can also join, including:
For example, if your grandfather was once an ADF contractor, or was in the army, you can join Navy Health. Anyone who has ever been eligible to join Navy Health will be eligible for life.
The combined cover packages
Navy Health offers a single combined package option, called Saver Plus. It’s designed to be a practical and affordable option for the relatively young and healthy, with cover for the more likely treatments and services only.
The hospital cover
|Covered services||Excluded services|
- Covered in private and public hospitals
- Restricted service, public hospital only
- Not covered, Medicare only
The extras cover
|General and preventative dental|
|Tooth extractions and oral surgery|
|Crowns and bridges|
|Dentures and other implants|
|Physiotherapy, chiropractics and osteopathy|
What are the pros of having a Navy Health package?
Navy Health offers additional benefits for current ADF members, or those entering or leaving the service.
- A 10% discount for serving members and eligible reservists
- Waiving of waiting periods when signing up within 90 days of discharge
- Dependents only cover options, for currently serving members to find more cost-effective cover for their dependents and family only.
- ADF personnel can suspend their cover when posted overseas, or when they move into continuous full-time service.
In addition to this, both the hospital and extras cover has features which might make it even more cost-effective than it initially appears.
- Hospital: You can claim the restricted services as a private patient in a public hospital, rather than being limited to minimum benefits only. This means, for example, that someone might still use this package for a reasonable level of pregnancy cover in public hospitals, without needing to go for the more expensive top-level pregnancy cover options with other health funds.
- Extras: All services covered under this package, except for natural therapies and non-PBS pharmacy, are also eligible for gap cover under the National ADF Family Health Program. Combined with the 65% reimbursement, eligible members might be able to enjoy exceptional cover for a range of the most important extras services.
What are the limitations and waiting periods?
The following waiting periods apply to hospital cover:
- 12 months: Pregnancy related admissions, as well as pre-existing conditions
- 2 months: All other treatments, as well as psychiatric, rehabilitation and palliative care regardless of whether or not it’s pre-existing.
Extras waiting periods are:
- 12 months: Major dental
- 6 months: Optical
- 2 months: General dental and everything else
How can I pay my premiums?
You can pay premiums with direct debit, and can get additional discounts, depending on frequency.
You can make direct debit payments fortnightly, monthly, every six months or yearly, and can get a 2% discount for half-yearly payments, and a 4% discount for annual payments.
How can I make a claim with Navy Health?
You can make claims:
- Electronically. Simply swipe your membership card after receiving a service, and pay any difference.
- Online. Login to the Navy Health members area to claim extras services online, except for orthodontics, appliances and pharmacy.
- Post, email or fax. Complete a Navy Health claims form and send it in. You will then receive a direct debit payment into your nominated account.