Get cover to suit your budget and lifestyle.
National Palliative Care Week
Palliative care helps people live as fully and comfortably as possible when suffering from a chronic terminal illness.
Palliative care can be physical, emotional or spiritual in nature and can include providing pain relief, access to home-care resources, assistance for families and counselling and grief support.
Even though four out of five deaths are caused by chronic illness, there is a common myth in Australia that only cancer patients can access palliative care. National Palliative Care Week aims to correct this misconception and encourage more sufferers of chronic illness to investigate their options with regards to palliative care.
What is National Palliative Care Week?
National Palliative Care Week is an awareness week organised by Palliative Care Australia. It is held in May each year and its aim is to raise awareness and understanding for palliative care in the Australian community. The date for 2020 is Sunday 24 May – Saturday 30 May.
Palliative Care Australia is the national peak body for palliative care, representing eight different member groups. Its mission is to influence, foster and promote the delivery of quality palliative care for all.
A number of local and national events are held during National Palliative Care Week. As well as forums and educational presentations, people are encouraged to get together informally to discuss both palliative care in general and their own end-of-life care wishes. Australians are also encouraged to lobby their local political representatives to show their support for improved palliative care access.
What's the theme of this years event?
The theme this year is "Palliative Care… It's more than you think". Palliative care can help people with life-limiting illnesses to live as comfortably and for as long as possible, taking care of their physical, emotional and social needs. NPCW 2020 day hopes to create important conversations in the community about the importance of quality palliative care and celebrate the incredible work of all palliative care workers throughout Australia.
COVID-19 restrictions have forced many events to be cancelled but you can still take part in NPCW in a number of ways.
How can you get involved?
- Make a one-off tax-deductible donation to Palliative Care Australia.
- Make a regular donation or leaving a bequest to Palliative Care Australia in your will.
- Become a Palliative Care Australia corporate partner and aligning your brand with this very worthy cause.
- Share your personal story about palliative care.
- Raise funds for Palliative Care Australia by organising an event such as a fun run, golf day, charity auction or trivia night.
- Become a Palliative Care Australia volunteer and assisting with admin support, fundraising or marketing.
- Ask for donations to Palliative Care Australia in lieu of gifts for your birthday, wedding or anniversary.
- Spread the message about palliative care on Facebook, Twitter and your other social media platforms.
You might like these...
Ask an Expert