Get the Finder app 🥳

Connect your accounts & save

How to move to Australia from the USA

Want to get away for good? What you need to know about moving to Australia from the United States.

With friendly locals, a thriving economy and some of the best beaches in the world, Australia is a very attractive destination for US expats. It’s a developed country where the locals speak English, the weather is warm and the right people can enjoy strong job prospects and good pay.According to the US State Department, some 6.32 million Americans (not counting the military) live overseas, and many of them have made their way to the land Down Under.

If you want to move to Australia from the USA, here’s how to do it.

How can this page help?

Visas available to American nationals

Americans moving to Australia will obviously need a visa. Use this free government visa finder tool to see some of the options that may be available.

  • If you already have family living in Australia, or you have family members who are Australian or New Zealand citizens, then you should probably look into a family visa.
  • A student visa is suitable for students looking to study or undertake professional training in Australia.
  • If you won’t be coming in on either of the above, then a working visa is probably your best bet.

The easiest way to get a working visa in Australia is to find a job in Australia before leaving the US. Being sponsored by an Australian company can make it significantly easier for you to be approved. Alternatively, if you work a job that's on the skilled occupations list, you might also have a good chance of success.

Once again, this depends on the visa you apply for. Partner and family visas might take months while tourist and working visas are often processed in just days.

Getting to Australia

Many airlines offer flights from the US to Australia, with most landing in Sydney or Melbourne, but also Perth, Brisbane or Adelaide. Direct flights from the USA to Australia leave from Los Angeles International Airport (LAX), Honolulu International Airport, Burbank, San Francisco International Airport and Dallas/Fort Worth International Airport. The most popular route of all, however, is the fifteen hour leg from LA to Sydney.

Flights are offered by several airlines including Qantas, American Airlines, Delta Air Lines, Virgin Australia, Hawaiian Airlines, Jetstar, Air New Zealand and United Airlines. You shouldn’t have any trouble finding a flight on your chosen travel date, though cheap tickets on the most popular routes and peak periods (around July to August) tend to sell out quickly. To get a deal on airfares you might try planning ahead and booking online.

Australia is almost the opposite side of the planet, and even the quickest routes from the US west coast to the Australian east coast will take you at least 13 or 14 hours.

Compare flight prices now

Finding a place to stay

One of the main things you'll have to organise before moving to Australia is accommodation. You could choose to move here and find temporary accommodation such as a hotel or serviced apartment for the first few weeks of your stay, however, keep in mind that this can add to up to be quite expensive if you end up staying for a long period of time.

The first decision you'll have to make is deciding between renting or buying a house. While there are many pros and cons to consider with each option, the decision is ultimately based on what you can afford. Read this guide to find out what might be the best option for you based on your current circumstances.

Speaking to a real estate agent can help you answer some important questions about your move and help you find the perfect area and home for your needs.

Compare real estate agents below

ProviderDetailsGet in touch

Logo for Commingle

  • Compare proposals from qualified professionals
  • Access over 45,000 real estate agents
  • Free property valuation profile
Enquire nowMore info
Conveyancing Logo

Fill in your details to get free real estate agent proposals with Commingle

Receive a free property valuation, compare agent commissions and fees and choose the best real estate agent for you with Commingle.

  • Save time and money finding the right agent to sell your property.
  • Commingle is a free service that can negotiate on your behalf to get the best deal.
  • All your details will remain confidential.

Buying a home

For a comprehensive guide to buying a home in Australia, read the ultimate Australian home buying guide here.

One of the first steps in deciding whether to buy or continue renting is to calculate how much you could potentially borrow. Use this calculator below to find out if buying a house is the right option for you.

Compare home loans below

Data indicated here is updated regularly
Loan purpose
Offset account
Loan type
Repayment type
Your filter criteria do not match any product
Name Product Interest Rate (p.a.) Comp Rate^ (p.a.) Application Fee Ongoing Fees Max LVR Monthly Payment Short Description
St.George Basic Home Loan - LVR 60% to 80% (Owner Occupier, P&I)
$500 (waived for loans above $150,000)
$0 p.a.
Refinancers borrowing $250,000 or more can get a $2,000 cashback per property (Other terms, conditions and exclusions apply). A low variable interest rate for home buyers and refinancers. Application fee waived for loans above $150,000.
Suncorp Back to Basics Home Loan - Better Together Special Offer $150k+ LVR<=90% Incl. LMI (Owner Occupier, P&I)
$0 p.a.
Get one free online redraw per month and pay no ongoing fees. Application fees are waived for loans above $150,000. Refinance to an eligible Suncorp loan and get a cashback of $2,000 or $3,000, depending on your loan amount. Other conditions apply.
UBank UHomeLoan Variable Rate - Discount offer for Owner Occupiers, P&I Borrowing over $200,000
$0 p.a.
Enjoy flexible repayments, a redraw facility and the ability to split your loan. Plus, pay no application or ongoing fees. Smart Home Loan - (Owner Occupier, P&I)
$0 p.a.
Get a low variable interest rate and pay 0 application or ongoing fees with this convenient online lender.
HSBC Home Value Loan - Promotional Offer (Owner Occupier P&I)
$0 p.a.
Get a low interest rate loan with no ongoing fees. Plus you can make extra repayments and free redraw online.

Compare up to 4 providers

Aussie Home Loans Logo

Enter your details and get a free consultation with an expert broker from Aussie.

By submitting this form, you agree to the Finder Privacy and Cookies Policy and Terms of Use

Applications are subject to approval. Conditions, fees and charges apply. Please note that you need to be an Australian citizen or permanent resident to apply.

Credit services for Aussie Select, Aussie Activate and Aussie Elevate products are provided by AHL Investments Pty Ltd ACN 105 265 861 (“Aussie”) and its appointed credit representatives, Australian Credit Licence 246786. Credit for Aussie Select products is provided by Residential Mortgage Group Pty Ltd ACN 152 378 133, Australian Credit Licence 414133 (“RMG”). RMG is a wholly-owned subsidiary of the Commonwealth Bank of Australia ABN 48 123 123 124 AFSL and Australian Credit Licence 234945. Credit for Aussie Activate products is provided by Pepper Finance Corporation Limited ACN 094 317 647 (“Pepper”). Pepper Group Limited ACN 094 317 665, Australian Credit Licence 286655 acts on behalf of Pepper. Credit services for Aussie Elevate products are provided by AHL Investments Pty Ltd ACN 105 265 861 Australian Credit Licence 246786 (“Aussie”) and its appointed credit representatives. Aussie is a trade mark of AHL Investments Pty Ltd ABN 27 105 265 861. Credit and any applicable offset accounts for Aussie Elevate are issued by Bendigo and Adelaide Bank Limited ABN 11 068 049 178 AFSL / Australian Credit Licence 237879.

Aussie is a trade mark of AHL Investments Pty Ltd. Aussie is a subsidiary of the Commonwealth Bank of Australia ABN 48 123 123 124. ©2020 AHL Investments Pty Ltd ABN 27 105 265 861 Australian Credit Licence 246786.

By submitting this form, you agree to the Aussie privacy policy.

After entering your details a mortgage broker from Aussie will call you. They will discuss your situation and help you find a suitable loan.

  • A comparison of home loans from multiple lenders.
  • Expert guidance through the entire application process.
  • Free suburb and property reports.

Aussie Home Loans Lender Logos

The Adviser’s number 1 placed mortgage broker 8 years running (2013-2020)


It can be worth setting up your new Australian finances before you leave the States in order to hit the ground running as soon as you arrive.

Many major Australian banks offer migrant programs to help you organise your finances before leaving. While the exact services offered differ between banks, you can typically apply online for an account while you’re still in the United States, and can then start transferring money into this Australian account as soon as you like. That way, as soon as you arrive you'll have access to an Australian bank account and the funds in it.

These migrant programs can also make it easier to get savings accounts and credit cards, and also provide other migration resources to help expats succeed in Australia. If you're moving to Australia from the USA and still need to open an Australian bank account you read the full guide here.

  • Will you still be doing business in America? If you'll be needing quick and simultaneous access to both US and Aussie dollars, consider looking into multi-currency accounts. This lets you hold funds in more than one currency and can be especially useful for those who are still receiving an income from the United States. They can also make it easier to take advantage of fluctuating exchange rates and more quickly convert between US and Australian dollars.
Back to top
Magnifying glass

Employment and tax

For better or worse, you'll be leaving some things behind when you move to Australia. Your tax obligations are not one of them. The Australian equivalent of the IRS in Australia is the ATO (Australian Taxation Office), and it doesn't work in quite the same way as its American counterpart. This guide can explain how to fill out an Australian tax return.

Income and tax in Australia

You are typically considered an Australian resident for tax purposes if you are intending to live here permanently, are an overseas student enrolled in a course more than six months long, or have been in living and working in the same place in Australia for six continuous months.

To report your earnings and file a tax return in Australia, you’ll need to apply for a Tax File Number (TFN) from the ATO.

Income and tax in the US

Don’t automatically assume that moving overseas will free you from having to report your income to the IRS. Every US citizen and green card holder is still required to file a US tax return when residing overseas, even if they're also be filing a tax return in Australia.

This doesn’t necessarily mean that you’ll be double-taxed. If the foreign income you earn is less than a certain amount, and if you meet time requirements for overseas residency, you might not have to pay US taxes at all, but will still need to file a return. If you don’t satisfy these requirements, but are still paying tax in Australia, then you might receive Foreign Tax Credits to offset your liabilities to the US Government. To adjust to these complications, US citizens residing overseas may receive an automatic two-month extension on their tax returns.

Back to top

Social Security in Australia

If you work for an employer in Australia, that employer is required to contribute a portion of your salary into your superannuation fund. Australian superannuation is a lot like an American 401(k) in that it's the money you will use to fund your retirement. Australian employers are required to contribute a certain amount of a worker's salary towards their superannuation fund.

One consideration in how to move to Australia from the USA is what to do with your 401(k). It may be possible to rollover your 401(k) into an Australian super fund or withdraw the proceeds as cash, but doing so may incur tax penalties, so it's often a good idea to get professional advice for navigating this situation. It might be easier to find this advice in Australia than the US, as tax agents in Australia can be more likely to know about the relevant laws in both countries.

  • Americans are eligible for social security in Australia: US residents who have worked in Australia may be eligible for the Age Pension, Disability Support Pension for the severely disabled, pensions payable to widowed persons and Carer Payments to partners of people who receive an Age Pension or a Disability Support Pension. Americans living in Australia may get social security benefits even without becoming a citizen.
  • The Office of International Operations is in charge of administering the Social Security program outside the US, while the American Citizens Services unit (ACS) assists recipients of US federal benefits who are residing in Australia.
  • In the majority of cases, if you’re a non-US-citizen and you’re outside the US for more than six months in a row, your Social Security payments will be stopped.
Back to top

Driving in Australia

First things first, remember that Australians drive on the left. Other than that:

  • Most states and territories will allow you to drive on a valid overseas licence.
  • In the Northern Territory, anyone holding an overseas licence must also hold an International Driving Permit (IDP), which must be obtained from the country where the licence was issued.
  • If you’re a permanent resident, most states and territories will require you to convert your overseas licence after having been in the country for a set period of time, typically three to six months.

For more information regarding driving in Australia on an international driver’s licence, see our Living in Australia section.

Back to top

Australia's public healthcare system


Medicare is the name of Australia’s public healthcare system under which all permanent residents can access free essential medical services. Every Australian citizen is eligible for a Medicare card and free or subsidised treatment by health professionals such as doctors, specialists and optometrists.

Back to top

Studying in Australia

Much like the United States, Australia is also home to a number of world class universities whose accreditation is recognised worldwide.

There are also a number of scholarship and exchange programs in place, giving dedicated American students a chance to continue their education in Australia. In the States, the Fulbright US Student Program, The Institute for International Education and others can offer valuable ample opportunities to study overseas.

To legally study in Australia as an international student, you will have to obtain a Student visa, which you may become eligible for once you’ve been offered and have accepted a placement in an approved Australian educational institution.

If you’re still paying back a student loan...

Piggy bank

Even Australia isn't far enough away for you to escape your student loans. While specific circumstances, including a period of unemployment, inability to find full time work or other economic hardship may qualify you for an extension, being in Australia might not.

Skipping loan repayments may mean that your loan will go into default, which might result in a poor credit rating and actions taken by the lender to recover their funds. If you have a student loan, don’t ignore it and try to have it paid off before arriving in Australia so you can start with a cleaner financial history.

Back to top

Feeling at home in Australia

Australia is a lot like the United States, and culture shock isn't usually a problem for American expats.

  • You'll notice the obvious differences as soon as you arrive, but for the most part Australians and Americans speak the same language.
  • There’s plenty of US culture to be found in Australia. For better or for worse, you’ll come across a lot of familiar faces and voices.
  • You can still buy your favourite American products in Australia. whether online or in speciality stores around the country.
  • Join a US expat group in your area, and keep celebrating the Superbowl, Independence Day and all your other favourite holidays in Australia.
Important translations to know about
G'dayGood day
Boot (car)Trunk
Back to top

Interview with an American expat in Australia

american expat

Kristen McCabe

  • Origin: Sheboygan WI USA.
  • Destination: Sydney, Australia.
  • Employment status: Full time.
  • Visa status: Over the years I've been on a couple of visas. They are a special visa like a working holiday (I don't think it exists anymore) that was good for four months, a student visa to get my masters degree, a one year working holiday visa, a de facto visa, a bridging visa and finally, permanent residency!
    NB: Kristen has been in Australia since 2008, but she returns back to The States to visit family quite often.
Why did you decide to move to Australia?

I've always loved the ocean and the Great Barrier Reef, plus it's a good climate! I hadn't been planning on it being for good when I came initially. I just graduated and I was coming abroad before getting a proper job and career.

What were some of the things you had to consider before migrating?

The very, very far distance from home.

What were the steps involved with obtaining a visa? Did you find it difficult or easy?

The two working holiday visas were pretty easy. The student visa was mediocre, I think I had to do a medical check but can't remember for sure. De facto and permanent residency were very, very hard, expensive and a LOT of work!

How did you set up a bank account? Did you face any difficulties here?

I just went to the Commonwealth Bank and did it, no trouble.

How did you find accommodation? Was it easy/hard?

I think I found accommodation on GumTree, I lived and worked with a family. It took some work but not too terrible. Then I lived in university housing when I studied.

How have you found adjusting to Australian life?

Overall not bad, the time difference is hard talking to people at home and things are MUCH more expensive! Rent is way more too, at least more than the Midwest, although minimum wage is much higher here. (I did have one job where the boss hired internationals and didn't always pay minimum wage, so it's worth checking)

Do you have any tips or advice for other expats in your situation when moving to Australia?

To girls: Buy cosmetics in America and bring them over, then ask family to mail you what you need when you run out - things like nail polish are painfully expensive here! For some of my clothing basics and staples, the stores ship here now and it's cheaper to order from The States and pay for shipping than buy things like shorts and tanks here. (As long as you know your size, that is)

WhatsApp and Magic Jack are both apps that are a great cheap way to stay in touch with people at home.

You don't have to tip here, at least not much, but I still find it hard not to! Drinks cost WAY more than Wisconsin, but make sure you take your turn and buy a round - your "shout"!

Resumes seem to be formatted a little differently here, you don't have to have just one page.

Buy an NFL game pass or head to the pub if you miss football. Go to the Great Barrier Reef! Go to the beach! It's all beautiful, but look out for blue bottles (and box jelly fish up North!) and swim between the flags!

If you could do it again, would you change anything in the way you went about migrating?

Not that I can think of!

Back to top

Handy contacts and addresses

  • Embassy of The United States Moonah Place
    Yarralumla, ACT 2600
    Telephone: (02) 6214 5600
  • US Consulate GeneralLevel 10, MLC Centre
    19-29 Martin Place
    Sydney, NSW 2000
Back to top

Send money to Australia: Compare money transfer services

If you're sending funds to an account down under, or will be sending money to, or receiving money from The States after you move here, it's important to make sure you're not losing too much of it to poor exchange rates. Consider double checking your current bank rates against the service rates below and signing up if you can get a preferable deal. You can read more about a particular service by clicking 'More' in the table below, or click 'Go to Site' to be taken to the product website to start an application or registration.

Min. Transfer Amount Transfer Speed Online Transfer Fee Rate Amount Received Description CTA Details
AUD 250 1 - 2 days USD 15.00 1.42 AUD
$0 transfer fees for Finder customers.
No-maximum limit transfers with competitive exchange rates for 100+ currencies. No transfer fee over AUD$10,000.
Go to site Show details
AUD 5 1 - 2 days EUR 3.00 1.418 AUD
Special offer: Zero fees on your first 10 transfers.
Get bank-beating exchange rates and fast transfer times on 15+ popular currencies.
Go to site Show details
AUD 1 Same day USD 0.00 1.428 AUD
Get fast transfers with no fees and a range of foreign currency tools. Go to site Show details
AUD 1 Same day USD 3.99 1.43 AUD
Use promo code 3FREE to send your first 3 transfers with no fee. Conditions apply.
An online money transfer service with cash pick-up, bank account to bank account and airtime transfers available.
Go to site Show details

Compare up to 4 providers

The "Rate" and "Amount Received" displayed are indicative rates that have been supplied by each brand or gathered by Finder.

Exchange rates are volatile and change often. As a result, the exchange rate listed on Finder may vary to the actual exchange rate quoted for the brand. Please confirm the actual exchange rate and mention "Finder" before you commit to a brand.

Ask an Expert

You are about to post a question on

  • Do not enter personal information (eg. surname, phone number, bank details) as your question will be made public
  • is a financial comparison and information service, not a bank or product provider
  • We cannot provide you with personal advice or recommendations
  • Your answer might already be waiting – check previous questions below to see if yours has already been asked

Finder only provides general advice and factual information, so consider your own circumstances, or seek advice before you decide to act on our content. By submitting a question, you're accepting our Terms of Use, Disclaimer & Privacy Policy and Privacy & Cookies Policy.

16 Responses

  1. Default Gravatar
    DrigAugust 26, 2019

    Hi there!
    I’ve decided to move to Australia while pursuing online school studying coding. But for now I would rather not have to pea company to move me over if I’m able to handle it myself in some part because I have an aunt in Brisbane who’s willing to help for a little while at least for housing. The course that I’m in currently last 9 months and will most likely pursue more courses after. I would love to stay and be in Australia for two years or more if possible would a holiday working Visa be best in this circumstance? Just trying to get all of my information together as I would like to leave before the end of 2019

    • Default Gravatar
      NikkiAugust 28, 2019

      Hi Drig,

      Thanks for getting in touch! Given that you are continuing your studying in Australia may warrant you a student visa. A family visa is for visiting family in Australia, a student visa is one for students looking to study or undertake professional training in Australia. If you won’t be coming in on either of the above, then a working visa is probably your best bet.

      As it says above, the easiest way to get a working visa in Australia is to find a job in Australia before leaving the US. Being sponsored by an Australian company can make it significantly easier for you to be approved. Alternatively, if you work a job that’s on the skilled occupations list, you might also have a good chance of success.

      Use the free government visa finder tool to see some of the options that may be available.

      Hope this helps and best of luck on your visa application.


  2. Default Gravatar
    JamesNovember 15, 2018

    Hey! I am 26 years old and live in the United States and want to move to Australia – What steps do I need to take?

    • Avatarfinder Customer Care
      JohnNovember 15, 2018Staff

      Hi James,

      Thank you for reaching out to finder.

      You are on the correct page which gives you an overview of what you would need to do to move to Australia from the USA. The biggest hurdle that you would need to meet is getting a visa that provides you entry in Australia. Please read through the article and if you have further questions, you may chat us up by clicking the “Chat now” button at the lower right side of the page. Hope this helps!


  3. Default Gravatar
    LisaMarch 26, 2018

    I own a cleaning company in the state I want to move to Australia Ballarat Victoria I have friends over there how would I go about. I need I don’t know which visa I need to apply for could you help me please. How do I get a visa I have a passport?

    • Default Gravatar
      LiezlMarch 29, 2018

      Hi Lisa,

      Thanks for reaching out to us at finder! While we are unable to provide you personal advise on what visa will suit you, a migration agent will be in the better position to guide you on how to navigate the whole process of visa application and assess your eligibility. Our guide here lists qualified migration agents in Melbourne that you can get in touch with.

      Feel free to drop us a note anytime if you have other questions.


  4. Default Gravatar
    MANILAOctober 16, 2017

    I wanna know if i am not a US citizen but want to study in Australia what are the requirements for it?
    also how do i have to apply?
    how long its gonna take to process?

    • Avatarfinder Customer Care
      HaroldOctober 16, 2017Staff

      Hi Manila,

      Thank you for your inquiry.

      If you wish to study in Australia our guide here might be helpful for you.

      I hope this information has helped.


  5. Default Gravatar
    NavJune 9, 2017

    Hi! I am US green card holder having Indian passport. My husband is on a student visa in Australia, so I plan to move with him.

    Now I am on Australian tourist visa and I am planing to live here permanently. Is there any benefits of holding us green card to move permanently to Australia.


    • Default Gravatar
      JonathanJune 10, 2017

      Hi Nav!

      Thanks for the comment.

      Generally, the complexity level of a visa application would depend on the type of visa being applied. US Green Card Holders are mostly treated as “regular” American citizens although in your case, your Indian nationality may also be considered.

      You can visit the Department of Immigration and Borderline Protection site for about how to apply for Australian citizenship. Alternatively, you can also inquire at Office of the Migration Agents Registration Authority (OMARA) for a professional that can be of further assistance.

      Hope this helps.


  6. Default Gravatar
    DeeDecember 23, 2016

    Wondering about my social security…. born in 1966 – moved to Australia in 2008. I am now an Aussie citizen, do I lose my social security that I’ve saved from my employment since the age of 16?
    If not, how do I get it transferred to my super?

    • Avatarfinder Customer Care
      DeeDecember 23, 2016Staff

      Hi Dee,

      Thanks for your question.

      Please note that we are, a financial comparison and information website that helps consumers make better decisions. We are not experts in US Social Security laws.

      It may be possible to rollover your 401(k) into an Australian super fund. As an alternative, you can also withdraw the proceeds as cash, but doing so may incur tax penalties. It would be best if you get professional advice for navigating this situation. It might be easier to find this advice in Australia than the US, as tax agents in Australia can be more likely to know about the relevant laws in both countries.


  7. Default Gravatar
    CarlySeptember 23, 2016

    How does the marriage work there? Like if you had a spouse that lived in Australia?

    • Avatarfinder Customer Care
      StephanieSeptember 24, 2016Staff

      Hi Carly Mae,

      If your spouse lives in Australia then you may be eligible for the partner or spousal visa. Details of this visa can be found here.

      Please be advised that is not a migration agent and for specific matters, including obtaining a visa or citizenship, it’s advised you contact a migration agent for assistance and advice.



  8. Default Gravatar
    KirkFebruary 15, 2016

    This question may be a little premature.However, i would like to get an idea if this is possible. My plan is to retire in five years, and would like to retire to Australia from the United States. My brother lives in Perth Western Australia and is an Australian citizen. Could he sponsor my wife and i, to live in Australia on a permanent basis.
    As a teenager through my twenties i lived in Australia for eight years.

    Thanking you, Sincerely,


    • Avatarfinder Customer Care
      StephanieFebruary 15, 2016Staff

      Hi Kirk,

      Thanks for your reply.

      Probably the most relevant visas for your situation are either the Remaining Relative visa (subclass 115) or the Investor Retirement Visa (405).

      The remaining relative visa requires that you, and your partner’s only remaining relatives are in Australia and therefore they can sponsor you on this visa. If this is not the case, then the Investor Retirement Visa might be an option. It requires you to be 55 years or older, have no dependents (other than your partner), meet income requirements (You (or combined with your partner) must have access to a minimum net income of AUD65,000 per year.)) and be able to make a significant, long-term investment in Australia (at least AUD750 000 in your name (or in the names of you and your partner)).

      For other suitable visas, you might like to look at the Department of Immigration and Border Protection’s Visa Finder. Unless you held Permanent Residence with an indefinite stay on it or Australian citizenship during your time in Australia previously, you might not be eligible to live in Australia without a valid visa.

      For other options regarding your situation, it’s best that you speak to a migration agent.



Ask a question
Go to site