Take the hassle out of moving
We’re reader-supported and may be paid when you visit links to partner sites. We don’t compare all products in the market, but we’re working on it!
Moving can be stressful. Use a company specialising in moving boxes to take the hassle out of moving home. Just pack, seal and label your boxes and one of these specialists will take the rest from there.
What's in this guide?
- What moving boxes are available?
- What is included in a moving box service?
- How do I get my boxes moved?
- How much does a moving box service cost?
- How do I compare moving box services?
- Compare moving box services
- How should I prepare my boxes beforehand?
- What to consider when having your boxes moved
- Do I need to be there when my boxes are picked up for removal?
- Pros and cons of using a moxing box company
- Frequently asked questions about moving box services
- Popular moving box websites
What moving boxes are available?
Moving boxes are more than just a standard cardboard box. Many people seek out used boxes for free, but they don't offer the uniformity, or the strength required.
The thickness of the cardboard moving box used will determine how strong it is. You should use a three-ply box for fragile items to ensure maximum protection, or two ply for less protection content. Some companies also offer hard plastic boxes for hire.
There is an overwhelming amount of size of moving and delivery boxes available on the internet. These are the standard sizes most moving services will use:
- Small. 457mm x 330mm x 330mm – for heavy items like books, cans or food
- Medium. 457mm x 457mm x 499mm – most common and versatile size
- Large. 445mm x 445mm x 744mm – for cushions, bed linen and clothing
What is included in a moving box service?
Companies that offer moving boxes vary in what they offer. Some will only rent or sell cardboard or plastic boxes, and others will manage every aspect of your home move. There are some of the things that can be included in a box moving service:
- Furniture disassembly and reassembly
- Unpacking moving boxes
- Loading and unloading items
- Disposing of packing material
- Cleaning services
- Household rubbish removal
- Storing boxes
- Transporting boxes between locations
How do I get my boxes moved?
If the moving company you're working with offers transportation and delivery as a service, you'll usually rent or buy the boxes, fill them up, and then book in a time for them to pick up the boxes and transport them to your new home. If you're just hiring or buying boxes, you may need to hire a van or truck to transport the boxes to the new location.
How much does a moving box service cost?
The cost of moving boxes depends on many variables. Generally, boxes for moving can cost as little as $2 each and up to $20 for large heavy-duty moving boxes. The cost of each box will depend on the material and quality.
Some services will also charge a delivery fee for the boxes, but this is generally waived if your order is over a certain value.
How do I compare moving box services?
All moving box services will have a website with a quoting engine or contact details on it. Some companies will visit your home for free to assess the situation before offering a quote. Once you have collected these moving box service quotes and promises, you should be able to accurately compare. Alternatively, use a website like Airtasker or Oneflare to see all moving box experts in one place.
Compare moving box services
Does your company belong in this list?
How should I prepare my boxes beforehand?
When you prepare the boxes for moving, try to put the heavier, non-fragile items at the bottom and lighter items at the top. Pack the boxes as full as possible, stuffing any gaps with scrunched up newspaper to stop items moving during the process.
Make sure all boxes are sealed at the top and bottom with strong tape. Never criss-cross the flaps as this technique doesn't work for heavy loads. Label all your boxes in clear, bold lettering with the room they should be going in. It may be helpful to write what is in the box and always note boxes holding fragile items. Priority items should be marked 'unpack first'.
What to consider when having your boxes moved
When you're booking to have boxes moved, you're trusting a stranger to care for all your precious belongings. This is why it's worth doing your homework to find a reliable removals company. Check online customer reviews to ensure you are choosing a trustworthy company.
A good removals company might be happy to visit your house and do a free survey of your possessions before offering a quote. A reputable box moving company will offer contents insurance and other additional insurance to cover valuable items.
Do I need to be there when my boxes are picked up for removal?
You don't necessarily, but it's a good idea to be available to supervise and care for your belongings. It's a good idea to communicate with the moving company beforehand if you'll be unavailable.
Pros and cons of using a moxing box company
- Saves you the time of having to source your own boxes
- Some services will not only rent or sell boxes but transport them for you too
- Many services offer free delivery with orders over a certain value
- Some companies also offer packing materials as part of their packages
- Can be more expensive than doing it yourself
Frequently asked questions about moving box services
What risks are there with box removal?
Some of the risks involved in using a box removal company include:
- The van is too small, meaning more trips and possibly a higher price.
- Things go missing or items turn up broken.
- Having the wrong insurance.
How do I get rid of the boxes once I've completed my move?
The average home move uses around sixty boxes so you will no doubt be asking yourself how you can scrap them. If you've hired boxes rather than buy them, you can return them once you've moved. If you purchase the boxes, you can scrap the boxes yourself or consider one of these options:
- Donate the boxes to someone else.
- Sell them if they are in a good condition.
- Reuse them.
- Recycle them.
- Ask if local charities would like them.
- Ask if local businesses may want them.
- Your box removal company may collect them.
Popular moving box websites
- The Moving Box Company. The Moving Box Company is committed to providing quality, affordable moving boxes, moving packs and packing supplies, delivered direct to your door.
- Hire a Box. Hire boxes of all shapes and sizes from $2.40 each or buy them from $3.30 each.
- Officeworks. Officeworks supplies a broad range of office supplies, including moving and delivery boxes.
- Net Packer. Net Packer packing boxes and bubble mailers. Plus, all their products are manufactured from recycled paper and essential forest material.
More guides on Finder
Finder Daily Deals: The 5 best online deals in Australia today
Today's best Finder Daily deals include: 50% off car essentials at Catch, half-price meat thermometers, eBay Plus tech sale.
Best toys for 1-year-olds in Australia
These are the 7 best toys you can buy for 1-year-olds in Australia.
From costs and finance options to what materials you’ll need, learn about bathroom renovations in this comprehensive guide.
Earnd is a pay on demand service that lets you access a portion of your paycheque before payday without paying any fees or interest.
Treadmill removal services
Here’s how you can ensure your treadmill is moved safely and at a convenient time.
Best portable fridge freezers in Australia 2021: Single zone
There’s no shortage of cooling options when camping, working or four-wheel driving, but what are the best portable fridge freezers in Australia?
Campervan relocations in Australia | Where to book, what to know
Discover great destinations for campervan relocations for your adventure across Australia.
Best hiking backpacks in Australia
Find out the seven best options for hiking backpacks to lug your gear around in the great outdoors.
Removal truck services
Save time and hassle when you move by booking a professional removal truck service.
How to keep your NBN plan when moving house
Happy with your current NBN plan? Find out what NBN relocation services are available for keeping your NBN provider when you’re moving.
Ask an Expert