Motorola Moto Z3 Play review: Plans | Pricing | Specs
Motorola's newest moto mod capable phone, the Moto Z3 Play offers a mid-priced option for those who like its modular approach.
- Moto mods can add lots of features.
- Moto actions make sense.
- Battery life isn't great without a mod.
- Mod costs quickly become expensive.
- Rear is ugly without a mod case cover at least.
1080 x 2160px
12MP + 5MP
Finder rated as Average vs similar phones
We’re committed to our readers and editorial independence. We don’t compare all products in the market and may receive compensation when we refer you to our partners, but this does not influence our opinions or reviews. Learn more about Finder .
Power, storage and battery
|Launch price (RRP)||$799|
It's been a while since we last saw a Motorola Z series phone down under, with Motorola opting to skip out on bringing the Motorola Moto Z2 Force to our shores. Motorola seemed more intent on selling its very good value Moto G phones here, so I was pleasantly surprised to see it bringing the Motorola Moto Z3 Play to Australia, and quite rapidly after its announcement too.
It's one of a pair of Z3 generation phones, but we won't see the Motorola Moto Z3 (sans Play suffix) locally, or indeed anywhere outside of the USA according to Motorola representatives. Like any other Motorola "Play" phone, the Motorola Moto Z3 Play is the slightly lower cost variant, although because it's still a moto mod capable device that lower cost can quickly ratchet upwards.
- Thin and light.
- Moto mod compatibility limits Motorola's design options.
- No headphone jack.
- Dual lenses, but one is only a depth sensor.
- Fair performance by itself, but again you can add a moto mod.
- Mid-range processor delivers predictable results.
- Motorola's light touch on Android is welcome.
- A phone that needs moto mods for it to make sense.
- Average battery life for its class.
- Battery mods could make a big difference – at a cost.
- A phone for existing moto mod fans.
- Not much point in buying if you're not going to buy mods.
- But with mods added to the price, premium flagships might suit you better.
Pricing and availability
- The Motorola Moto Z3 Play is no longer available for purchase in Australia
Power, storage and battery
Latest Motorola Moto Z3 Play news
Motorola's Moto G9 Play includes some compromises to meet its price point, but it's an overall appealing smartphone.Read more…
Motorola's first 5G-capable handset for Australia aims high with a funky curved design, but its limitations in other areas leave us wanting.Read more…
Motorola delivers yet another quality mid-range phone in the Motorola G8, but it's a phone with few really exciting features.Read more…