Motorola's newest moto mod capable phone, the Moto Z3 Play offers a mid-priced option for those who like its modular approach.
- Moto mods can add lots of features.
- Moto actions make sense.
- Battery life isn't great without a mod.
- Mod costs quickly become expensive.
- Rear is ugly without a mod case cover at least.
Motorola updated moto mod capable phone combines the modular approach the company has championed with a thin design and just a little more processing power.
It's been a while since we last saw a Motorola Z series phone down under, with Motorola opting to skip out on bringing the Motorola Moto Z2 Force to our shores. Motorola seemed more intent on selling its very good value Moto G phones here, so I was pleasantly surprised to see it bringing the Motorola Moto Z3 Play to Australia, and quite rapidly after its announcement too.
It's one of a pair of Z3 generation phones, but we won't see the Motorola Moto Z3 (sans Play suffix) locally, or indeed anywhere outside of the USA according to Motorola representatives. Like any other Motorola "Play" phone, the Motorola Moto Z3 Play is the slightly lower cost variant, although because it's still a moto mod capable device that lower cost can quickly ratchet upwards.
- Thin and light.
- Moto mod compatibility limits Motorola's design options.
- No headphone jack.
- Dual lenses, but one is only a depth sensor.
- Fair performance by itself, but again you can add a moto mod.
- Mid-range processor delivers predictable results.
- Motorola's light touch on Android is welcome.
- A phone that needs moto mods for it to make sense.
- Average battery life for its class.
- Battery mods could make a big difference – at a cost.
- A phone for existing moto mod fans.
- Not much point in buying if you're not going to buy mods.
- But with mods added to the price, premium flagships might suit you better.
Pricing and availability
- The Motorola Moto Z3 Play sells in Australia outright for $799.
Motorola Moto Z3 Play
Motorola's modular handset
The Motorola Moto Z3 combines power with the flexibility of Motorola's unique moto mods.
Motorola Moto Z3 Play specs
|Display size (inches)||6|
|Display resolution (pixels)||2160 x 1080|
|Pixels per inch (PPI)||402|
|Battery size (mAh)||3,000|
|Rear camera (1) resolution||12|
|Rear camera (1) aperture||f/1.7|
|Rear camera (2) resolution||5|
|Rear camera (2) aperture|
|Rear camera (3) resolution|
|Rear camera (3) aperture|
|Front camera (1) resolution||8|
|Front camera (1) aperture||f/2.0|
|Front camera (2) resolution|
|Front camera (2) aperture|
|Network category speed||Category 11|
Compare SIM-only plans for the Motorola Moto Z3 Play
Latest Motorola Moto Z3 Play news
The flagship phone of the Moto G series for 2019 is Motorola's Moto G7 Plus. Read on for full pricing and specifications for this mid-range powerhouse. Read more…
The Moto G7 Power is the phone for folks who don't want to spend a fortune but hate having their phone battery cut out too soon. Read more…
Motorola's lowest-cost Moto G7 handset has plenty that you might want to play with, although the price difference might tempt you to one of the fancier G7 models. Read more…