We still love the idea of a modular smartphone, and Motorola has made the best stab at it that we’ve seen so far. The Moto Z is a more powerful phone, but it works in the same way with the mods as the cheaper Moto Z Play.
- Moto Mods improvements.
- Good battery life.
- Fair mid-range performance.
- Low-key Android.
- Mods are an untested commodity.
- Terrible button/fingerprint positioning.
- Chunky design.
- No contract options.
The Moto Z Play gives you access to Motorola's Moto Mods at a lower price, although its general performance isn't spectacular.
It’s pretty common for mobile manufacturers to follow up a hero device with a slightly lower-cost option. It’s why there are so many Samsung "Galaxy" phones in a given year, but only one Galaxy S9.
Sometimes, the lower-cost option comes along at the same time as the hero phone, and that’s precisely what Motorola has done with the Moto Z Play. It’s a slightly lower-specced version of the Motorola Moto Z in a thicker frame with a lower price point.
- Moto Mods support at a cheaper price point than the Moto Z.
- Chunky design may not appeal to those with smaller hands.
- Solid mid-range camera hardware should be sufficient for general photography.
- Camera pundits can upgrade further with the Hasselblad camera mod.
- Decent mid-range power delivers solid performance in general use.
- Performance in 3D games is a little on the low side.
- Plenty of battery capacity and a low-power processor allow for easy all-day battery life.
- Light phone users can even get multiple days of use out of a single charge.
- A more accessible take on the modular smartphone that doesn't quite live up to its potential.
Pricing and availability
Motorola Moto Z Play
Motorola goes modular
With its modular attachments, the Motorola Moto Z Play gives you the freedom to customise its capabilities to your liking.
- The Motorola Moto Z Play retails for $699 but can be found cheaper at online retailers like Buy Mobile.
|Display size (inches)||5.5|
|Display resolution (pixels)||1920 x 1080|
|Pixels per inch (PPI)||403|
|Battery size (mAh)||3,510|
|Rear camera (1) resolution||16|
|Rear camera (1) aperture||f/2.0|
|Rear camera (2) resolution|
|Rear camera (2) aperture|
|Rear camera (3) resolution|
|Rear camera (3) aperture|
|Front camera (1) resolution||5|
|Front camera (1) aperture||f/2.2|
|Front camera (2) resolution|
|Front camera (2) aperture|
|Network category speed||N/A|
Latest Motorola news
5G, foldables and a whole lot of handsets are waiting to be unveiled at the MWC 2019, the world's biggest mobile show. Read more…
Motorola's latest update to its Moto G family appears to have plenty of power for a mid-range phone, along with some improved camera optics. Read more…
Motorola's packing up to 5,000mAh batteries and dual cameras in its new affordable Moto G7 handsets. Read more…