We still love the idea of a modular smartphone, and Motorola has made the best stab at it that we’ve seen so far. The Moto Z is a more powerful phone, but it works in the same way with the mods as the cheaper Moto Z Play.
- Moto Mods improvements.
- Good battery life.
- Fair mid-range performance.
- Low-key Android.
- Mods are an untested commodity.
- Terrible button/fingerprint positioning.
- Chunky design.
- No contract options.
The Moto Z Play gives you access to Motorola's Moto Mods at a lower price, although its general performance isn't spectacular.
It’s pretty common for mobile manufacturers to follow up a hero device with a slightly lower-cost option. It’s why there are so many Samsung "Galaxy" phones in a given year, but only one Galaxy S9.
Sometimes, the lower-cost option comes along at the same time as the hero phone, and that’s precisely what Motorola has done with the Moto Z Play. It’s a slightly lower-specced version of the Motorola Moto Z in a thicker frame with a lower price point.
- Moto Mods support at a cheaper price point than the Moto Z.
- Chunky design may not appeal to those with smaller hands.
- Solid mid-range camera hardware should be sufficient for general photography.
- Camera pundits can upgrade further with the Hasselblad camera mod.
- Decent mid-range power delivers solid performance in general use.
- Performance in 3D games is a little on the low side.
- Plenty of battery capacity and a low-power processor allow for easy all-day battery life.
- Light phone users can even get multiple days of use out of a single charge.
- A more accessible take on the modular smartphone that doesn't quite live up to its potential.
Pricing and availability
Motorola Moto Z Play
Motorola goes modular
With its modular attachments, the Motorola Moto Z Play gives you the freedom to customise its capabilities to your liking.
- The Motorola Moto Z Play retails for $699 but can be found cheaper at online retailers like Buy Mobile.
Motorola Moto Z Play specs
Power, storage and battery
|Display size||5.5 inches|
|Resolution||1080 x 1920|
|Pixels per inch (PPI)||403|
|Rear camera megapixels||16MP|
|Rear camera aperture size||f/2.0|
|Front camera megapixels||5MP|
|Front camera aperture size||f/2.2|
|Dimensions||156.4mm x 76.4mm x 7mm|
|Network category speed||N/A|
|Operating system||Android 6|
|External storage support||Up to 2TB|
Compare SIM-only plans for the Motorola Moto Z Play
Latest Motorola news
Motorola's latest update to its Moto G family appears to have plenty of power for a mid-range phone, along with some improved camera optics. Read more…
The Motorola Moto G7 Power provides an exceptional mix of value and battery life, making it an easy choice for budget phone buyers. Read more…
The Motorola Moto G7 is a fine budget handset, but it's very much a case of Motorola simply keeping pace with the budget market, rather than leading it. Read more…