Motorola's largest G series phone isn't just blessed with a large screen but also with the best performance and a new appealing style.
- 18:9 display
- Good application performance
- New glass design looks great at this size
- Dual SIM plus microSD expansion
- Ordinary camera
- A big slippery handset
- No water resistance
The Moto G6 Plus brings heavy value with its large display and impressive performance.
The Moto G6 Plus is effectively Motorola's 2018 "flagship" phone here in Australia.
Sure, Motorola still sells the Moto Z series phones and their intriguing Moto Mods, but the most up-to-date model we have here in Australia is the Moto Z2 Play and that's more than a year old at the time of writing.
We never saw the Moto Z2 Force and there's no news around the Moto Z3 Play showing up Down Under either. The Moto X4 is sold locally, but it has a lot less presence than the G series phones, which are the ones people buy in large quantities.
All of this puts a lot of weight onto Motorola's more affordably priced handsets and especially the well-regarded Moto G series phones. Thankfully, while it's not an extraordinary evolution of the Moto G concept, the Moto G6 Plus is a solid and reliable handset that outperforms its siblings for the most part.
- Pleasing 18:9 display.
- Dual SIM as well as microSD, rather than instead of.
- Solid but unspectacular camera performance.
- Snapdragon 630 delivers solid results.
- Simple actions work well, but this isn't Android One.
- Sadly no water resistance.
- A great balance of battery life and performance.
- USB-C isn't common in the mid-range space yet.
- A good phone, but more of the same from Moto, rather than something innovative.
Pricing and availability
Motorola Moto G6 Plus
Motorola's bigger Moto 6
The Motorola Moto G6 Plus gives you a lot of screen for a relatively modest price.
- The Motorola Moto G6 Plus sells in Australia outright for $499.
Motorola Moto G6 Plus specs
Power, storage and battery
|Display size||5.9 inches|
|Resolution||1080 x 2180|
|Pixels per inch (PPI)||409|
|Rear camera megapixels||12MP + 5MP|
|Rear camera aperture size||f/1.7 + f/2.2|
|Front camera megapixels||16MP|
|Front camera aperture size||f/2.2|
|Dimensions||160mm x 75.5mm x 8mm|
|Network category speed||Category 6|
|Operating system||Android 8|
|External storage support||Up to 256GB|
Compare SIM-only plans
Latest Motorola Moto G6 Plus news
The Moto One Vision from Motorola delivers solid processing and camera performance for a device that costs less than $500. Read more…
Motorola's latest update to its Moto G family appears to have plenty of power for a mid-range phone, along with some improved camera optics. Read more…
The Motorola Moto G7 Power provides an exceptional mix of value and battery life, making it an easy choice for budget phone buyers. Read more…