Motorcycle Insurance South Australia
Living in South Australia and need motorcycle insurance? Find cover here.
We’re committed to our readers and editorial independence. We don’t compare all products in the market and may receive compensation when we refer you to our partners, but this does not influence our opinions or reviews. Learn more about Finder.
Whether it's your first policy or you're looking to switch, there are plenty of motorcycle insurance options out there if you live in South Australia.
You can choose from three cover options - comprehensive motorcycle insurance, third party fire & theft motorcycle insurance or third party property only motorcycle insurance - with a range of insurers. Find out below who you can get cover with and what option is best for you.
Ready to compare motorcycle insurance policies?
What motorcycle insurance options are available in South Australia?
There are three types of motorcycle insurance available in SA: comprehensive insurance, third party fire and theft, and third party property damage. Here you can find the three main motorcycle insurance cover options by Youi, an overview of what each policy covers and a helpful breakdown of their main features.
|Feature||Comprehensive||Third party fire and theft||Third party property damage|
|Damage to other people's property|
|Damage to your own motorcycle when involved in a no-fault accident with uninsured motorist|
|Damage to your motorcycle by fire and theft|
|Damage to your motorcycle in an accident/collision|
|Damage to your motorcycle by vandalism, storm, hail, flood, earthquake|
Best motorcycle insurance for South Australians
Motorcycle insurance is mandatory in South Australia. However, you only need to have the most basic policy - Compulsory Third Party (CTP) insurance. This is to cover you for medical costs and compensation if you get in an accident and injure someone else.
While this may be fine for some - for instance, if you are barely out on the road - motorcycling is more dangerous than driving a car so you probably want to think about a more comprehensive insurance option.
What exclusions and additional costs are there in SA?
If your motorcycle has been modified with custom parts or has had its upkeep neglected, you might be barred from standard cover. On top of this, there are sets of general exclusions that apply in SA, including no cover if:
- Your bike was being used illegally, such as in street racing or burnouts
- Your bike was being ridden by someone under the influence of alcohol or drugs
- You ride your bike while unlicensed
- Your bike was carrying more passengers than permitted by law
Finally, motorcycle insurers in the SA attract stamp duty at a rate of 11% of the insurance premium. While it's usually up to the insurer to pay this duty, sometimes the additional cost is passed on to you.
Still unsure if you need motorcycle insurance?
If you are still not convinced you need motorcycle insurance, consider the ways in which insurance can be a lifesaver. Whether you're winding your way through a Sunday crowd in the City of Churches or cruising along the Southern Ocean Drive, tragedy can strike in a hundred different ways, and it pays to be prepared:
- It protects you against essential risks. Fire, theft, collision, vandalism, third party liability and more – motorcycle insurance can come through in many circumstances beyond your direct control.
- You can get cover for a wide range of motorcycles. From tiny road bikes to thundering two-wheeled gods of the road, there's a policy for you.
- You can customise your level of cover. Only pay for what you use! If you only break out your bike for the occasional music festival or bush doof, you probably don't need as much cover as someone who hits traffic every day on the way to work.
- It'll give you peace of mind. How well could your finances handle having to buy a whole new bike after some idiot plowed into it in the parking lot and scarpered? What would you do if someone stole it from right outside the coffee shop? It's not worth risking thousands of dollars and constant worry – insurance can save you both.
More guides on Finder
Free data breach policy templates (Australia)
Write a data breach policy that details an effective response plan.
$1 million life insurance policies
Looking for $1 million life insurance? Compare policies here.
Can I still get life insurance if I’m overweight?
Find out if you can still get life insurance if you’re overweight, what your options are and where to get cover.
Energy plans for low income earners and families
Paying the bills isn't on time isn't always easy. Here's what you you need to look out for.
How useful is a home insurance calculator?
A home insurance calculator can give you a rough estimate on the value of your home and contents. But is that what you really want? Find out how to not underinsure or overinsure your home.
Australia’s green hotel of the year 2020
Looking for a sustainable hotel in Australia? Let the Finder Green Awards do the hard work for you.
You can get swimming pool insurance included with most home and contents insurance policies. Find out who provides cover and what insurance you need.
Best electric bikes for Uber Eats
Looking for an e-bike to help power your Uber Eats deliveries? Here’s how to find the right bike for your needs.
RAA Roadside Assistance
Find out what RAA Roadside Assistance covers you for and how much it costs.
Finder car insurance rating
Want to know how we ranked our car insurers? Check out our methodology here.
Ask an Expert