Motorcycle Insurance South Australia
Living in South Australia and need motorcycle insurance? Find cover here.
We’re reader-supported and may be paid when you visit links to partner sites. We don’t compare all products in the market, but we’re working on it!
Whether it's your first policy or you're looking to switch, there are plenty of motorcycle insurance options out there if you live in South Australia.
You can choose from three cover options - comprehensive motorcycle insurance, third party fire & theft motorcycle insurance or third party property only motorcycle insurance - with a range of insurers. Find out below who you can get cover with and what option is best for you.
Compare motorcycle insurance policies in South Australia
What motorcycle insurance options are available in South Australia?
There are three types of motorcycle insurance available in SA: comprehensive insurance, third party fire and theft, and third party property damage. Here you can find the three main motorcycle insurance cover options by Youi, an overview of what each policy covers and a helpful breakdown of their main features.
|Feature||Comprehensive||Third party fire and theft||Third party property damage|
|Damage to other people's property|
|Damage to your own motorcycle when involved in a no-fault accident with uninsured motorist|
|Damage to your motorcycle by fire and theft|
|Damage to your motorcycle in an accident/collision|
|Damage to your motorcycle by vandalism, storm, hail, flood, earthquake|
Best motorcycle insurance for South Australians
Motorcycle insurance is mandatory in South Australia. However, you only need to have the most basic policy - Compulsory Third Party (CTP) insurance. This is to cover you for medical costs and compensation if you get in an accident and injure someone else.
While this may be fine for some - for instance, if you are barely out on the road - motorcycling is more dangerous than driving a car so you probably want to think about a more comprehensive insurance option.
What exclusions and additional costs are there in SA?
If your motorcycle has been modified with custom parts or has had its upkeep neglected, you might be barred from standard cover. On top of this, there are sets of general exclusions that apply in SA, including no cover if:
- Your bike was being used illegally, such as in street racing or burnouts
- Your bike was being ridden by someone under the influence of alcohol or drugs
- You ride your bike while unlicensed
- Your bike was carrying more passengers than permitted by law
Finally, motorcycle insurers in the SA attract stamp duty at a rate of 11% of the insurance premium. While it's usually up to the insurer to pay this duty, sometimes the additional cost is passed on to you.
Still unsure if you need motorcycle insurance?
If you are still not convinced you need motorcycle insurance, consider the ways in which insurance can be a lifesaver. Whether you're winding your way through a Sunday crowd in the City of Churches or cruising along the Southern Ocean Drive, tragedy can strike in a hundred different ways, and it pays to be prepared:
- It protects you against essential risks. Fire, theft, collision, vandalism, third party liability and more – motorcycle insurance can come through in many circumstances beyond your direct control.
- You can get cover for a wide range of motorcycles. From tiny road bikes to thundering two-wheeled gods of the road, there's a policy for you.
- You can customise your level of cover. Only pay for what you use! If you only break out your bike for the occasional music festival or bush doof, you probably don't need as much cover as someone who hits traffic every day on the way to work.
- It'll give you peace of mind. How well could your finances handle having to buy a whole new bike after some idiot plowed into it in the parking lot and scarpered? What would you do if someone stole it from right outside the coffee shop? It's not worth risking thousands of dollars and constant worry – insurance can save you both.
More guides on Finder
Holiday home insurance
What to know about insurance before renting out your home, and what to look for in Airbnb insurance.
If you’re looking for home insurance for an apartment, here’s the ultimate guide to finding comprehensive and affordable cover.
A beginner’s guide to Bitcoin and cryptocurrency ETFs
If you’re looking for ways to gain exposure to Bitcoin and other digital currencies, cryptocurrency ETFs could be worth exploring. Find out what crypto ETFs are and how they work in this introductory guide.
Health insurance for kidney dialysis
Dialysis treatment for Chronic Kidney Disease (CKD) is covered by Medicare and private health insurance, but which offers the best cover?
Where to buy the Apple iPhone 13 in Australia
Here are all the places you can buy the iPhone 13 in Australia.
What to do after a car accident
Would you know what to do if you were involved in a car accident? This guide looks at the steps to take after an accident has occurred, from securing the scene to making a claim with your insurer.
Buy sell insurance agreements
Learn how buy sell insurance actually works and organise cover with a consultant to protect your business and loved ones.
Compare Citibank Australia transaction and savings accounts
Citibank offers a range of personal banking products for customers in Australia.
Travel insurance ombudsman
Your guide to how the Financial Ombudsman Service can help resolve disputes between you and your travel insurer.
Ask an Expert