Guide to motor vehicle tax deductions

Use your car for work? Find out what you need to know about claiming your expenses.

It's important to understand exactly what you can and can't claim at tax time, and a common deduction is expenses related to your vehicle. Working out what qualifies can be confusing, but it will be a benefit to you to claim any car-related expenses that qualify as deductions.

This guide will help you learn what options you have and what you’re able to claim, and not claim, when it comes to car-related expenses.

What car costs can I claim on my taxes?

Under Australian tax law, you’re able to claim any employment-related car expenses if you incur them while using your own vehicle to perform your job as an employee. You can incur work-related car expenses by doing any of the following:

  • Loading/unloading tools and other equipment that are required to complete your job.
  • Picking up or dropping off delivery items on behalf of your employer.
  • Travelling to and from two different workplaces (for example between a full-time and part-time job).
  • Travelling in order to perform itinerant work.
  • Travelling to business meetings, conferences, or other events required by your employer.
  • Travelling from your home to an alternative workplace (not your main workplace) and then back to your main workplace or back home at the end of the day.

How do I track my car costs?

There are two main ways to claim your car-related expenses: the log book and cents-per-kilometre.

Method 1: The logbook

There are several things to keep in mind when using the logbook method for recording your business-related car expenses:

  • Under this method, the claim you make is based on the business-use percentage of your car-related expenses. You determine your business-use percentage by keeping track of your expenses for a minimum of 12 weeks (and updated every five years) in a log book.
  • In this log book, you’re required to log all business journeys made in your car during the set time period. You’ll need to record the following general information:
    • The period that the log book begins and ends
    • The vehicle’s odometer readings at the beginning as well as at the end of this period
    • Total kilometres driven during the period
    • The business-use percentage for the period
  • Each individual journey recorded in your log book must have the following information:
    • Start and finish times
    • Starting and ending odometer readings
    • Total kilometres travelled
    • Business reason for the journey
  • You can claim all operating expenses for your car at the business-use percentage you’ve initially set in your log book.
  • Make sure to keep all receipts gathered throughout the year to justify your claims, including receipts for things like servicing and repairs.
  • Depreciation is calculated as one-quarter, or 25%, of the recorded value for your vehicle.

Method 2: Cents per kilometre

The second method you can use to claim car-related expenses is the cents-per-kilometre method. This method is outlined as follows:

  • Your claim is based on a fixed rate for each business kilometre you travel. You’re able to claim up to 5,000 kilometres per year under this method.
  • The claim is calculated by multiplying the total business-related kilometres you travel (max of 5,000 km) by the standard fixed rate of 66 cents per kilometre. This amount represents all depreciation and other vehicle expenses.
  • Although you don’t need written evidence for this method, you’ll need to demonstrate that you’ve incurred the expenses you’ve claimed. Diary records of the particular business journeys you’ve made are sufficient.

What expenses can’t I claim?

You can’t claim the drive to and from your home and your main workplace. This is considered “private” use, even if:

  • You’re completing small tasks required by your employer on the way to work (eg, picking up the mail or other deliverables for your employer).
  • You’re driving back to work for things such as security calls or even parent-teacher interviews if you’re employed in an educational organisation.
  • You’re working overtime and there’s no public transport for you to get home.

Tax benefits you may not know about

Besides claiming your car-related expenses for tax purposes, you’re also able to take advantage of the following options to reduce your taxes:

  • $20,000 immediate tax deduction

Following a recent announcement by the government, small business owners in Australia can now claim tax breaks of up to $20,000 on business-related purchases, including purchases of new or used vehicles.

The federal government has budgeted $1.75 billion dollars for this tax deduction specifically to help Australian small business owners. This tax break applies to small businesses with annual turnovers of less than two million dollars.

If you’re looking to purchase a new or used vehicle for your business, make sure you look into this special tax deduction if your vehicle is worth $20,000 or less. Also, make sure to look for this deduction on other business-related purchases.

  • Chattel mortgages

Another tax-incentivised option for buying a new business-related vehicle is the chattel mortgage, a finance product offered by lending institutions specifically for the purpose of purchasing a vehicle. With this loan, you’re able to remain the legal owner of the vehicle while providing it as security to your lender.

The biggest benefit of a chattel mortgage is the tax incentive that comes with it. You’re able to claim the GST you paid when buying your vehicle as an Input Tax Credit. This will help you a lot come tax time.

On top of this, you’re able to deduct both interest charges and the vehicle’s depreciation.

  • Novated lease

Another way to finance the purchase of a vehicle while still taking full advantage of tax benefits is the novated lease. This type of financing involves an agreement between you, your employer and a third-party lender. You take out a lease on the vehicle you plan to purchase, and your employer then makes the lease repayments by deducting the operating costs from your pre-tax income.

Not only does this option give you a simple way to finance a vehicle and manage your payments, it also gives you an added tax benefit because you can take advantage of a lower tax rate. Since your payments are coming from your pre-tax income, your taxable income is decreased.

When it comes to motor vehicle expenses, make sure you know exactly what tax-incentivised options are available as well as what you’re able to claim as deductions. Make sure you get the most out of this tax season by taking advantage of all your options.

IMB New Car Loan

IMB New Car Loan

5.99 % p.a.

fixed rate

6.34 % p.a.

comparison rate

  • No monthly fees
  • No early repayment fees
  • Borrow up to $75,000
Security Logo

100% confidential application

IMB New Car Loan

A low rate loan to finance new vehicles or cars up to two years old. Borrow up to $75,000.

  • Interest rate: 5.99% p.a.
  • Comparison rate: 6.34% p.a.
  • Interest rate type: Fixed
  • Application fee: $250
  • Minimum loan amount: $2,000
  • Maximum loan amount: $75,000
Go to site

Looking to purchase a new car? Calculate your repayments for the following loans

Rates last updated August 22nd, 2018
Name Product Interest Rate (p.a.) Comparison Rate (p.a.) Min Loan Amount Loan Term Monthly Service Fee Application Fee Product Description Monthly Repayment
IMB New Car Loan
5.99% (fixed)
1 to 7 years
Borrow as little as $2,000 at a competitive fixed rate
Finance a new car up to two years old. Competitive 5.99% p.a. rate available to all approved applicants. - New Car Loan
From 5.44% (fixed)
3 to 5 years
Optional balloon payment available to reduce your repayments.
A competitive rate car loan suitable for a new cor used car.
Latitude Motor Vehicle Loan
From 6.99% (fixed)
1 to 7 years
Finance a range of vehicles including cars, motorbikes, boats and caravans.
Apply online to finance a new or used motor vehicle and receive a response in 90 seconds. You will receive a competitive tailored rate of between 6.99% p.a. to 14.99% p.a.
Stratton Finance New Car Loan
From 5.29% (fixed)
1 to 7 years
Fixed or variable rates starting from 5.29% p.a.
Apply for up to $100,000 and have up to 7 year(s) to repay. You can use cash or trade in a vehicle to use as a deposit.
Sydney CU Special Variable Car Loan
5.95% (variable)
1 to 7 years
Apply for a loan up to 50000.
Benefit from a flexible, variable rate to finance a car up to 3 years old with SCU.
Beyond Bank Low Rate Car Loan
From 5.69% (fixed)
1 to 7 years
Offset your interest with a Car Budget Account.
Take advantage of a competitive rate, pre-approval and no early repayment fees when you finance a car under two years old.
CUA Secured Fixed Car Loan
6.79% (fixed)
1 to 7 years
Finance a new or used vehicle up to 7 years old.
Benefit from additional repayments, no ongoing fees and access to a redraw facility with this competitive loan from CUA.
MyState Secured Personal Loan
From 7.99% (variable)
1 to 10 years
Your choice between secured or unsecured.
Apply for a loan up to $75,000 and benefit from loan terms up to 10 years.
IMB Secured Personal Loan
6.89% (fixed)
1 to 5 years
Secure this loan with a car and use the funds for any purpose.
Competitive 6.89% p.a. rate available to all approved applicants. Loan amounts up to $60,000 available.

Compare up to 4 providers

Picture: Shutterstock

Was this content helpful to you? No  Yes

Related Posts

Car Loan Offers

Important Information*
IMB New Car Loan

Borrow up to $75,000 for a new car up to two years old. Competitive 5.99% p.a. rate available to all approved applicants. - New Car Loan

This car loan is for new cars and offers a low fixed rate and no ongoing fees.

Latitude Motor Vehicle Loan

Apply online to finance a new or used motor vehicle and receive a response in 90 seconds. You will receive a competitive tailored rate of between 6.99% p.a. to 14.99% p.a. based on your risk profile.

Stratton Finance New Car Loan

Apply for up to $100,000 and have up to 7 year(s) to repay. You can use cash or trade in a vehicle to use as a deposit.

Ask an Expert

You are about to post a question on

  • Do not enter personal information (eg. surname, phone number, bank details) as your question will be made public
  • is a financial comparison and information service, not a bank or product provider
  • We cannot provide you with personal advice or recommendations
  • Your answer might already be waiting – check previous questions below to see if yours has already been asked

Finder only provides general advice and factual information, so consider your own circumstances, or seek advice before you decide to act on our content. By submitting a question, you're accepting our Privacy & Cookies Policy and Terms of Use, Disclaimer & Privacy Policy.

2 Responses

  1. Default Gravatar
    WhiteyJune 19, 2018

    I’m an employee carpenter and I want to buy a second hand car for 38k. I use my car only for work as it has tools in it at all times and I don’t take it elsewhere to protect them from thieves. What is the best way to finance this car and claim it on tax. I pay roughly 25k in tax each year. I do have a line of credit and can access that if neede.

    • finder Customer Care
      ArnoldJune 19, 2018Staff

      Hi Whitey,

      Thanks for your inquiry

      Finder features a number of used car loan options that you may check and compare in order to find the right one for you. Please click here to review these options.

      Claiming the expense of buying a vehicle as a tax deduction varies greatly depending on which vehicle finance option you choose. For example, a chattel mortgage will allow you to claim interest charges and the depreciation on the vehicle as a tax deduction, while under a finance lease you can claim a deduction for the whole of the lease.

      It would be best to chat with an accountant before you apply as there are a number of car financing options available to businesses and an accountant can help you decide which one may work best. Accountants can also tell you which part of the finance are tax-deductible to help inform your decision.

      Hope this information helps


Ask a question
Go to site