Mother’s Day in Sydney: Dining options and things to do
Get back into the swing of things this Mother’s Day. Here’s a list of some of our top things to eat, see and do on 9 May.
We’re reader-supported and may be paid when you visit links to partner sites. We don’t compare all products in the market, but we’re working on it!
There's no better way to show appreciation for the women in your life than treating them to a lovely time on Mother's Day. It's the perfect moment to say "thank you".
Stick around because we've got plenty of ideas for those who want to get out and about. Plus, see how to celebrate Mother's Day with our guide for things to do on 9 May.
Gift mum or your loved one with breakfast in bed or go a step further and surprise them with someone else's cooking.
Harbourside Breakfast from RedBalloon
For a classic cafe breakfast with a luxury view, look no further than Blackbird Cafe in Darling Harbour this Mother’s Day.
- Inclusions: Hot breakfast for two, a glass of prosecco each, tea or coffee
- Location: Wheat Road Balcony Level 1, Cockle Bay Wharf, Darling Harbour
- Cost: $75 for two people
Brunch with Take Home Gift from RedBalloon
Kick off the day by taking mum to Bitton for a gourmet breakfast and gift from its range of luxury products.
- Inclusions: A gourmet starter, eggs Benedict, tea or coffee and gourmet Bitton product to take home each
- Location: 23 Plumer Rd, Rose Bay
- Cost: $100 for two people
Sometimes mum deserves a sleep-in, so treat her to a bite to eat a little later on Mother's Day. Pick one of your favourite lunch spots or find something among the great deals below.
Two-Course Steakhouse Lunch from RedBalloon
Surprise mum with a two-course lunch at The Meat and Wine Co. in Barangaroo.
- Inclusions: Entree to share, main meal each, glass of house wine, soft drink or beer each
- Location: Ground level, 100 Barangaroo Ave, Barangaroo
- Cost: $99 for two people
Tall Ship Cruise Lunch from RedBalloon
All aboard the high seas. Give mum an experience she won’t forget with lunch with a nautical twist. Cruise Sydney Harbour on a real timber tall ship.
- Inclusions: Two hours of sailing on an authentic tall ship, chance to help the crew, listen to a talk about harbour highlights and the ship’s history and lunch
- Location: Campbell's Cove Jetty, The Rocks
- Cost: $109 per person
Three-Course Lunch from RedBalloon
Take mum to enjoy three tasty courses of modern-Australian cuisine at 6HEAD.
- Inclusions: Three-course lunch each and a glass of house wine each
- Location: Bay 10 & 11, Campbell’s Stores, 7-27 Circular Quay W, The Rocks
- Cost: $139 for two people
Nine-Course Japanese Tasting Menu from RedBalloon
Explore new flavours on Mother’s Day and tuck into nine courses of fine Japanese cuisine at Zushi.
- Inclusions: Nine-course tasting menu to share, bottle of house wine to share
- Location: 10/33 Barangaroo Ave, Barangaroo
- Cost: $200 for two people
Treat mum like the star she is and take her out to dinner at one of these great restaurants. Take your pick from a wide range of cuisines and locations that ought to impress.
Harbour Cruise with Three-Course Dinner from RedBalloon
Take in the sights of Sydney Harbour at sunset and enjoy a three-course dinner with your loved one this Mother’s Day.
- Inclusions: Three-course dinner, live music and two-hour cruise
- Location: King St Wharf No. 1, Darling Harbour, Sydney
- Cost: $99 per person
Three-Course Indian Dinner from RedBalloon
Take mum to tuck into three courses of flavourful Indian cuisine at the award-winning Delhi 'O' Delhi.
- Inclusions: Entree to share, main and dessert each and bottle of wine to share
- Location: 3 Erskineville Rd, Newtown
- Cost: $120 for two people
Beachfront Dinner for Two from RedBalloon
Enjoy a three-course contemporary Australian dinner for two at Whitewater restaurant in Manly. A great treat for mum on her day.
- Inclusions: Entree and dessert to share, main meal each and glass of wine each on arrival
- Location: 35 South Steyne, Manly
- Cost: $130 for two people
Three-Course Meal from RedBalloon
Rock mum’s world with dinner at Sydney’s waterfront Hard Rock Cafe, with priority seating and views of Darling Harbour.
- Inclusions: Entree to share, main meal and dessert each, choice of a bottle of wine to share or a cocktail each
- Location: 2-10 Darling Dr, Harbourside Shopping Centre, Darling Harbour
- Cost: $135 for two people
Chinese Hot Pot Feast from Groupon
Bring mum along to enjoy authentic Chinese dishes at Six Po Hot Pot this Mother’s Day.
- Inclusions: Multiple side dishes, hot pot soup and a can of soft drink each
- Location: 146 Burwood Road, Burwood
- Cost: $64 for two people
Three-Course Dinner from Scoopon
Enjoy a three-course meal at the charming Binky and Co. Mum is sure to love the quaint 1700s Paris aesthetic and modern-Australian cuisine.
- Inclusions: Garlic bread to share, main each and dessert to share
- Location: 374 Darling St, Balmain
- Cost: From $39 for two
Homemade Pasta Kit from RedBalloon
Impress the family with your culinary skills and prepare a homemade Italian meal from scratch. As an added touch, the kit comes delivered as a gift, which makes for the perfect surprise.
Homemade Spanish Paella Kit from RedBalloon
Calories don't count when celebrating and there's no better way to go all out than digging into a dish of paella that can be prepared in the comfort of your home.
Homemade Ice Cream Maker Kit from RedBalloon
Get creative in the kitchen with this kit that can make ice cream, sorbet and low-fat yoghurt.
Give mum the gift of high tea at one of these tea rooms fit for Queen Elizabeth herself.
The Palace Tea Room QVB Traditional High Tea from RedBalloon
Mum will no doubt enjoy a traditional high tea at the Palace Tea Room in the iconic Queen Victoria Building.
- Inclusions: Cafe high tea for two people, your choice of tea or coffee
- Location: Level 1 Shop 20-22, Queen Victoria Building, 455 George Street, Sydney
- Cost: $100 for two people
High Tea on the harbourside from RedBalloon
Spice up mum’s day with a glass of sparkling wine and high tea at Cafe Birkenhead.
- Inclusions: Three-tiered high tea stand, glass of sparkling wine on arrival, unlimited tea and coffee, free parking (three hours)
- Location: Shop 70A Birkenhead Point Outlet Centre, 19 Roseby St, Drummoyne
- Cost: $130 for two people
The Tea Room QVB Traditional High Tea from RedBalloon
Dainty finger sandwiches, petit fours and scones, mum’s already on her way out the door.
- Inclusions: High tea for two people, tea or coffee
- Location: Level 3 North End Queen Victoria Building, 455 George Street, Sydney
- Cost: $120 for two people
- If you have dietary requirements, including a gluten-free or vegan diet, be sure to contact the restaurant or cafe in advance, or let them know when you order.
Jet Boat Ride on Sydney Harbour from RedBalloon
Ready. Set. Go. A jet boat ride across Sydney Harbour is the perfect experience for those daredevil mums who feel the need for speed.
- Location: Circular Quay Eastern Pontoon - Jetty 1, Sydney
- Cost: $85 each
Retro Drive-In Cinema and Hotel Stay from RedBalloon
In this blast from the past, enjoy a film at the Skyline Drive-In Movie Theatre and retire to your hotel room at the retro-themed Atura Blacktown.
- Location: 32 Cricketers Arms Rd, Blacktown
- Cost: $242 for two people
Skydiving in Sydney from Skydive Australia
Make it a Mother’s Day mum will never forget with the ultimate tandem skydiving experience.
- Location: Skydive Sydney-Wollongong, Stuart Park, George Hanley Dr, Wollongong
- Cost: $379 each
Sydney Attractions Pass from Viator
Visit some or all of Sydney’s major attractions including Sydney Opera House and Taronga Zoo this Mother's Day.
- Location: Sydney Opera House, Bennelong Point, Sydney
- Cost: From $153.85 each
Italian Cooking Class from RedBalloon
Give mum the greatest gift of all: knowledge. Four hours learning to make pasta from scratch, eat antipasto and sip on wine.
- Location: 12 Sutherland Park Dr, Burradoo
- Cost: $270 for two people
More guides on Finder
Finder Daily Deals: The 6 best online deals in Australia today
Today's best Finder Daily deals include: 53% off Samsung Galaxy Buds+, 60% off sports and fitness equipment, win $10,000 with Optus.
Best dual SIM phones
If you’re looking to run multiple phone numbers from just one handset, we’ve got the best picks for every price bracket and need.
5 Mother’s Day gifts under $50 that look really expensive
Shop smart this Mother’s Day with these lovely gift ideas that will keep your budget in check.
Top Mother’s Day greeting cards for 2021
Make Mum’s day extra special this year with a card that’s guaranteed to make her smile.
Best hammers in Australia
We’ve found the seven best hammers you can purchase in Australia right now.
Best Melbourne hotels with parking
These are the hotels in Melbourne CBD that have on-site parking.
Top Melbourne hotels with spa bath in room
Discover the Melbourne hotels that come fully equipped with your own private spa bath.
Best orbital sanders in Australia
We’ve read hundreds of customer reviews to find the six best orbital sanders you can buy right now.
Melbourne hotels with pools you’ll never want to leave
We've picked out the best Melbourne hotels with pools for value, luxury, views and location.
Take a sneak peek at Click Frenzy’s™ local travel deals 2021
Here's a small look into the hundreds of deals dropping at 7pm on 20 April 2021.
Ask an Expert