Most popular New Year’s Eve destinations in 2020: Surprise, Illawarra is on the list
These are the top 10 locations to bring in 2021 across Australia.
Just because 2020 has changed the way we celebrate doesn't mean you have to forget about an epic New Year's Eve. In saying this, Expedia has revealed the trending destinations for a NYE spent away.
Keep reading to find out which cities made the cut, what you can get up to while you're there and the stays that are still available for bookings.
Holiday home availability is based off a stay between Thursday 31 December 2020 and Sunday 3 January 2021.
1. Gold Coast
First up, we have one of Queensland's favourite holiday spots. With stretches of sandy beaches and strips of shopping streets, the Gold Coast makes for an ideal NYE getaway that's sure to keep the whole family happy. Just because the fireworks display is cancelled for this year's celebrations doesn't mean the fun stops there.
- What to do: Treat the kids to a three-day theme parks pass or a zip-lining adventure at Currumbin Wildlife Sanctuary.
- Where to stay: Ocean View Luxury Apartment in Surfers Paradise.
2. North Coast
Almost 700km of coastline make up the New South Wales north coast, so it can be tricky figuring out where to book. We recommend taking the long weekend to explore the streets and shores of Byron Bay. Situated at the very top end of the state, it offers a quieter celebration when bringing in the new year. You'll want to get your fedora out for this one.
- What to do: Take a hot air balloon across Byron Bay or head out onto the water with a dolphin kayak tour.
- Where to stay: The Ahoy Designer Byron Shack in Byron Bay.
Still keen to celebrate another go around the sun in the heart of Sydney? No worries. While open spaces to view the firework displays are open to frontline workers only this year, it doesn't mean you have to miss out altogether. Book yourself in with a city-centre stay, enjoy the view from your balcony and make the most of what Sydney has to offer while you're there.
- What to do: Kick the new year into gear with a jetboating experience in Darling Harbour, kayak out on Sydney Harbour or take things to new heights with a Sydney Tower Eye skywalk.
- Where to stay: Stylish Darling Harbour Apartment in Sydney CBD.
4. Sunshine Coast
Make the most of the warm weather this December/January with a trip to the renowned Sunshine Coast. Similar to most of the hot-spot destinations in Queensland, the Sunshine Coast provides a beach-side escape if all you want to do is get the sand in-between your toes.
- What to do: Choose from visiting SEA LIFE Aquarium, High Ropes and Flying Fox Adventure Park or learn to kiteboard.
- Where to stay: Sunshine Beach Pad on the Sunshine Coast.
5. South Coast
Want to escape the scorching temperatures of Sydney this NYE? The NSW South Coast might just be the destination for you. With endless possibilities with where to book, we think a stay in the quiet streets of Jervis Bay will do the trick.
- What to do: Learn something new with a private surfing lesson or see the marine sights with the South Coast Passage Wildlife Cruise.
- Where to stay: Quay Haven in Callala Beach.
Escape to another hot spot in our sunshine state for the end of 2020. This one might be a bit of a no brainer as it's one of the few spots in Queensland that's hosting a traditional NYE event. Catch the midnight fireworks display from Cairns Esplanade or Palm Cove Jetty at 8:30pm. Make a weekend of it and take to the water to bring in the new year.
- What to do: Indulge in a Sunday lunch cruise or check out Fitzroy Island with a day trip.
- Where to stay: Little Gem Apartment in Manoora.
It's one of Australia's most recognisable destinations, so it is no surprise that it has made the NYE most popular locations list. With year-round summer temperatures, wake up in 2021 with the soft blue waters of the Whitsunday coastline. Choose between mainland stays or head out onto Hamilton Island for an extra luxurious experience.
- What to do: Snorkel into the new year with the Whitsundays day tour, take a jet-ski tour or sail away with a sunset tour of the Whitsundays
- Where to stay: Baybliss Apartment in Shute Harbour.
8. Central Coast
Get back to nature this New Year's Eve with a trip to the NSW Central Coast. From horseback riding to bring in the first day of 2021 to simply rowing through the quiet creeks, this one's for those of you after an outdoor adventure.
- What to do: Get the saddle out for horseback riding or kayak through Popran Creek.
- Where to stay: The House on the Rock in Umina Beach.
Located around an hour south of Sydney, Illawarra offers a sleepy escape from the busy streets of the city. It provides the ideal getaway for those of you looking to get out of Sydney without needing to drive very far – perfect for a family-friendly weekend away.
- What to do: Visit the Mogo Wildlife Park, take a leap with tandem skydive over Wollongong Beach or fly above the South Coast with waterfall helicopter flight.
- Where to stay: Jean-Cate Cottage in Warilla.
And last but certainly not least, we have the South Australia capital. It seems a beach-side getaway isn't the only way to close 2020. With the Adelaide Hills and the bustling CBD right at your fingertips, your NYE plans just sorted themselves out.
- What to do: We recommend the kayak tour of the Dolphin Sanctuary and Shipwreck, an indulgent day spa experience or a shiraz masterclass with chocolate platter.
- Where to stay: Luxury Boutique Studio Apartment in Torrensville.