More and more young Aussies are opting to travel with their parents
Results reveal that family holidays are not just for the kiddies.
According to research conducted for P&O Cruises, young Aussies are not just living at home with their parents longer, they're opting to take their holidays with them too.
We've seen in the past that 61% of Australian parents support their adult kids financially and in a national survey of over 1,000 18-29-year-olds, we learnt that more than half (51%) have gone on an all-expenses-paid vacation with their parents since turning 18. A massive 82% would consider taking a trip with their parents.
Half of those surveyed said their main reason was a novel one, a desire to spend more time with their family, while just 21% said saving their own money was their main motivation.
The research supports a growing trend observed by P&O Cruises on its ships, reporting an 18% increase in the number of 18-29-year-olds travelling onboard with their parents last summer, compared to in 2016.
Mark McCrindle, an award-winning social researcher, attributes this trend to the millennial generation not being able to afford their own home.
"Young Australians experience many financial pressures today so parents are playing a key role in helping their adult children save, study and now travel," McCrindle said.
While housing affordability was the biggest cause of financial stress for young adults (44%), the second biggest was their inability to save for travel (31%).
The results showed that 71% of respondents regarded travel as a key priority in their life and 87% said they would take more holidays if they could. Sadly, 78% of those surveyed said they did not have enough money to take more trips.
While travelling with mum and dad isn't always going to be easy, especially as a young adult, an impressive 81% of those who had already vacationed with their parents said they were surprised at how much fun they had. A whopping 91% said they'd do it again if they had the opportunity.
Some of the reasons young adults enjoyed travelling with their parents include:
- A great opportunity to spend quality time with mum and dad (60%)
- It brought back memories of family time when they were younger (40%)
- They had a lot of fun (37%)
- They enjoyed being able to travel without spending their own money (33%)
- Click Frenzy Travel 2019: The most epic travel deals you can scoop up right now
- Click Frenzy™ Travel 2019 brands and deals reveal | Sale on at 7pm
- Cheap Flights of the Week: Singapore, Australia and Japan
- 5 Once Upon a Time in Hollywood filming locations you can visit IRL
- Australians prefer local travel over road-tripping interstate