Money Hack: This annual leave hack can almost triple your days off
Max your time on the beach, not your time at your desk.
Your typical full-time Aussie worker has 20 annual leave days in the year. But that doesn't mean you can only schedule in 20 days worth of holidays.
With public holidays and weekends to take advantage of, if you're smart about when you take your leave, Australians can turn that 20 into up to 58 days off.
Put in your leave early and book all your trips around public holidays. That's the cliff notes version.
To maximise those days here are a few key things you can do:
- Book dates where there are multiple public holidays concentrated in a small space of time. 2019 is one of the best times to do this as Good Friday (19 April), Easter Monday (22 April) and Anzac Day (25 April) all fall within a week of each other. So you can literally have a 10-day holiday from Friday 19 April until Sunday 29 April and only take 3-days off work.
- Start your break as close to the weekend as possible and come back as early in the week as possible. For example, fly out on Thursday or Friday and return on Sunday or Monday. That way you're taking advantage of that weekend and not cutting into too much mid-week leave.
- For more holidays in the year, take loads of 3-day weekend breaks. They tend to appear more often than you think and mean you don't have to take any time off work.
How many days do I get off in my state?
As this hack relies heavily on public holidays, the number of days you can have works out to be different state-by-state.
All states can get at least 49 days off with most sitting in the early 50s. However, the ACT comes off the most triumphant with 58 days of holidays at its fingertips.
Here's how many days you can get per state.
Finder Money Hacks is a weekly round-up of the latest tips and tricks to help you improve your finances. Check back every Saturday for new hacks.
- Cheap Travel Deals of the Week: China, Groupon, RedBalloon and Flight Centre
- 6 alternative romantic destinations to get some alone time
- Top Easter destinations that won’t break the bank, revealed
- Cheap Travel Deals of the Week: Jetstar, AirAsia, RedBalloon
- Cheap Flights of the Week: Thailand, Vanuatu and New Caledonia