Money Hack: Stop paying full price for the movies
Seriously, just stop.
Going to the cinemas is great. There is popcorn, lollies and drink sizes you really can't get anywhere else. But, let's be honest, movie ticket prices have gotten out of hand. I was shocked when I went to the cinemas for a recent screening of Beauty and the Beast and was asked to pay $44 for two adults.
Um, yeah. I barely had enough leftover to buy M&Ms.
Use one of your local cinema's many partnerships to get cheap tickets. Event Cinemas and Hoyts deal with multiple partners that let you get cheap tickets every day of the week, making every day cheap Tuesday! Some of these deals even get you half-price tickets to Gold Class at Event Cinemas or Lux at Hoyts, giving you a fancy cinema experience for almost the same price as standard cinema prices.
Here's a breakdown of the deals:
- Optus. Optus customers can buy discounted tickets at Hoyts from $11.50 for adults or $9 for kids, or "splurge" for a few dollars more than the standard ticket price ($26) at Hoyts Lux. Customers can also buy vouchers for independent cinemas. Jump onto Optus Perks to book.
- Telstra. Telstra customers get a similar deal with $12.50 movie tickets or $15.50 for 3D at Event Cinemas. You can also spend $16.50 for the Vmax experience. Not valid on public holidays, after 5pm on Saturdays or for Bollywood movies (for some reason?). Head to Telstra Thanks to book.
- NRMA. If you're an NRMA member you can pre-purchase movie vouchers that save you 35% on standard and Gold Class tickets at Event Cinemas. Vouchers are valid for six months. Head to NRMA member's area to book.
- Bupa. Bupa health insurance customers can receive up to 25% off pre-purchased tickets at Event Cinemas, Village Cinemas, Birch Caroll & Coyle cinemas and Hoyts. Login to your online Bupa member's account to book.
- HSBC. If you have an HSBC Visa credit or debit card and don't mind a mid-week movie, you are eligible for a two-for-one ticket at Hoyts. The offer is valid until 30 August 2017 and tickets can be purchased at the box office.
- RACV. Members of RACV can save up to 30% on movie tickets from Hoyts at Village cinemas when you pre-purchase online or at selected RACV shops. Note tickets aren't valid after 2pm Saturday or on public holidays. Login to your online account to book.
- RACQ. Members of RACQ can save up to 45% when they visit Queensland Event Cinemas, Birch Caroll & Coyle cinemas and Loganholme Hyperplex cinemas. Standard and Gold Class tickets are available. Login to your online account to book.
finder money hacks is a bi-weekly roundup of the latest tips and tricks to improve your finances. Check back every Wednesday and Saturday for new hacks.