Get quotes and compare mobile storage options across Australia.
We’re reader-supported and may be paid when you visit links to partner sites. We don’t compare all products in the market, but we’re working on it!
Whether you're in between homes or heading off on a long trip, you'll want to make sure that your belongings are safe and secure. Mobile storage can be the perfect solution for those who want to avoid the hassle of delivering their belongings to a storage facility.
Read on to learn the key points of mobile storage, including how much it will cost and how to compare services.
What is mobile storage?
Mobile storage is a modern solution to storing your things in a safe and secure way. Rather than having to load up your car and drive to a traditional storage facility, mobile storage is delivered right to your doorstep. This means you can load up the unit at your own convenience, and have it picked up and delivered to a secure storage facility at a time that suits.
Compare mobile storage now
We update our data regularly, but information can change between updates. Confirm details with the provider you're interested in before making a decision.
More about mobile storage solutions in Australia
There are a number of mobile storage providers across Australia ready to help you. Here are a few places to start your search:
- Taxibox. This nation-wide mobile storage brand offers access to mobile units for self-storage, secure on-site storage and assistance with interstate moving.
- Mooval. Mooval is a home services company with expertise in packing, moving and mobile storage along with end-of-lease cleaning.
- PODS. PODS works across the country offering a strong range of portable, mobile unit sizes to help you with your storage needs.
How does mobile storage work?
Mobile storage works by delivering a storage container to wherever you need it to be. It can usually be left on your driveway or in your garden – whichever is more convenient for you. You can then pack the container yourself, or opt to hire professional movers who can do all of the heavy lifting for you.
When you're finished, you can book a slot for the storage company to come and pick up your unit and safely deliver it to your designated storage facility.
Find out how much mobile storage costs
It's not easy to put a price on mobile storage. Units come in a variety of shapes and sizes, designed to fit your storage needs. Your price will depend on how many storage units you'll need, how long you need to store your belongings if you need power in the unit and your location.
Here are a few rough, ballpark figures to consider:
- Extra small 1.5m³ mobile storage container ~ $75/month
- Small 5m³ mobile storage container ~ $100/month
- Medium 10.5m³ mobile storage container ~ $150/month
- Large 25m³ mobile storage container ~ $240/month.
Remember, with mobile storage units you'll also need to pay for pick-up and delivery as an additional charge. These fees may average between $75 to $150 depending on your location and the storage company you choose.
Decide how much storage space you'll need
Deciding on the size of your mobile storage container can be tricky, especially when you're ordering online.
As a general rule of thumb, small containers are best suited for studio apartments or single room storage. For a two-bedroom apartment, two small containers or a medium container of 20m³+ may be desirable. Multiple large 26m³+ containers are generally recommended for family homes with four bedrooms or more.
Compare your mobile storage options
There are a number of different service providers out there that offer mobile storage solutions, so it's a good idea to compare your options before you settle for one.
To help you along the way, ask yourself the following questions to determine the best mobile storage option for your needs:
- How long do I need to store my belongings for? Lots of storage providers offer discounted rates for long-term storage which could bring the cost down considerably.
- Do I want the unit kept on my property or at the storage facility? If you'd like to store your unit on your property, you'll need to find a provider that allows this.
- What size container do I need? Most storage providers offer a range of unit sizes to choose from. However, some specialise in smaller units, while others specialise in extra-large facilities.
- What's my budget? It's best practice to collect and compare quotes from different companies to make sure you know exactly how much you'll need to fork out.
- Is the company a member of an accredited organisation? Looking for a company that's part of a body like the Self Storage Association of Australasia will give it more credibility in the industry.
- Will the company offer me a free itemised quote? By providing an itemised quote, it shows a company is happy to be transparent in its pricing. Plus, you'll know exactly where you stand.
- Can I find any customer reviews? Finding quality testimonials and real-life reviews from previous customers will give you a good idea of how a company interacts with customers and the level of service they provide.
Take a look at the finer details
Each mobile storage solution is different, so it's worth checking out their individual features to find out which is better for your needs.
Here are a few things to look out for:
- Insurance. To be on the safe side, you may need to organise insurance to cover your belongings while they're in a mobile storage container. Some mobile storage companies provide insurance for an added fee. This will usually protect you in case of a fire, water damage, explosion, burglary and property damage. But be sure to check the policy fine print for peace of mind.
- Security. Levels of security vary between providers. At the very least, all storage units will be fitted with a secure lock, with surveillance cameras on site. Mobile storage units with high security may also have a security guard on-site at all times.
- Permits. In some local councils, you'll need to organise a permit to have a storage unit parked on your property. If you don't you could land a hefty fine. Find out whether your service provider can give you more information about permits, or help you to get one.
- Access charges. You'll need to find out if your chosen company has any access charges to get to your unit. For example, will you need to pay every single time you need to get something from your storage container?
Prepare your items for storage
Taking the time to prepare your items for storage can help to maintain the integrity of your belongings. Especially if they're going to be packed away for a long time.
Here are our top tips for packing your items:
- Store items in airtight plastic containers or new cardboard boxes
- Refrain from using plastic bags as they can collect moisture
- Spray items with insecticide
- Refrain from storing any food or liquids
- Secure any valuable items in a secure safe
- Protect fragile items with bubble wrap, foam peanuts, newspaper or old clothing
- Wipe down and wax wooden furniture
- Clean leather furniture with leather cleaner
- Cover any furniture with clean sheets
- Wipe the inside and outside of appliances.
You may also choose to take an inventory of everything you're storing in the container. Not only will this help you to keep track of what's in the unit, but it will also help with insurance purposes if anything goes missing or is damaged.
Preparing your storage unit
- Before you put anything into the storage unit, give it a thorough clean. Check the walls for leaks or cracks and sweep the floors.
- If your storage unit isn't climate controlled, you may want to lay down a tarp to protect your items from any pests or the weather.
Pros and cons of mobile storage
- Saves you the time and hassle of moving the goods yourself
- Peace of mind that your cherished items will be stored in a secure location
- Creates more room and less clutter in your home.
- Can be expensive
- You may have limited access to personal belongings
- Delivery and pick-up fees can drive up the overall cost.
Frequently asked questions
How much is PODS storage per month?
Storing your belongings with PODS typically starts from $145 a month, regardless of whether you store your unit on your own property or in its secure storage facilities. Exactly how much you'll need to pay each month will depend on several factors, including the size of the units you require and your location.
How does Taxibox work?
Taxibox works like any other mobile storage solution. The Taxibox team will deliver your storage unit to you, wherever you are. You then pack and lock your box. Finally, you can call Taxibox to arrange a collection time. On this day they will collect your unit and deliver it to a safe storage facility.
Are mobile storage containers waterproof?
Yes. Almost all of the units you'll find advertised will be waterproof.
Can I have my storage container shipped interstate?
Delivery options differ between storage companies. Some companies such as PODS offer interstate shipping, but you'll need to double-check with the provider to make sure they can fulfil your needs.
Finding the right storage solution for your needs can feel overwhelming, especially if you don't have the times or means to deliver your belongings yourself. Luckily, mobile storage offers a solution to your problem. All you need to do is choose the right company for the job, and have the professionals take care of the rest.Back to top
More guides on Finder
The Best Black Friday tech deals in Australia
Black Friday has landed, which means its time to get a deal on some fancy tech, from phones and headphones to laptops and cameras.
Cyber Weekend Christmas shopping deals for kids and teens: Get 60% off
Black Friday's best Christmas shopping deals for kids include Lego for 40% off, 38% off Beyblade, LEGO bargains galore and big Bluey discounts
7 steps to building your passive income
Setting a goal of making $200k per year passive income may seem all but unattainable, but investing experts Scott & Mina O'Neill say it's possible.
A-League fans! Here are 10 (more) reasons to get Paramount Plus
Come for the football, stay for the quality original TV.
Ethereum price gains 10% in a week – here’s why that could continue
In spite of the recent crash which saw nearly AU $400 billion being wiped out from the market, ETH has been able to register monthly gains of over 6%.
Crypto markets dive, but Bitcoin’s price remains resilient – here’s why that could change
Over the course of the last 14 days, Bitcoin has registered losses of over 16%.
The Best iPhone Black Friday deals in Australia: Save $300+ on an iPhone
Top Black Friday iPhone deals include 26% off the iPhone 12 Mini at The Good Guys and cut-price refurbished models at Amazon and eBay.
Black Friday TV deals in Australia: Up to $3,000 off smart TVs
The best Black Friday 2021 discounts include over $1,000 off 75-inch and 85-inch smart TVs from Samsung and Hisense.
50 best Black Friday deals: Tech, games, beauty, fashion and more
We've handpicked the 50 best Black Friday deals available in Australia right now, including tech favourites, games, toys, beauty, homewares and more.
eBay Australia’s best Black Friday 2021 deals with up to 75% off
We've handpicked the 50 best Black Friday deals available from eBay right now, including tech, games, home appliances and more.
Ask an Expert