gotravelsim provides a local Australian mobile service aimed at international travellers working or studying Down Under.
Is gotravelsim right for me?
- What does gotravelsim offer? gotravelsim offers SIM-only mobile plans pitched at travellers visiting Australia for an extended period of time. These plans are delivered over the Optus 3G and 4G networks.
- Product highlights: 12-month plans pack plenty of value, international call credit bundled with every plan.
- Watch out for: If you want to take advantage of the extra data included in gotravelsim's 12-month plans, make sure you're going to be in Australia for at least a full year. Cancelling your service before that year has passed will mean paying out the full cost of your plan, even though you won't be using it anymore.
gotravelsim SIM-only mobile plans
gotravelsim's SIM-only plans explained
- Wallaby 10GB which includes 10GB of data and $300 of international credit for $30 a month
- Kangaroo 15GB which includes 15GB of data and $500 of international credit for $40 a month
- Wallaby 18GB which includes 18GB of data and $300 of international credit for $30 a month
- Kangaroo 23GB which includes 23GB of data and $500 of international credit for $40 a month
Using more than your monthly data quota will see gotravelsim charge you at an excess usage rate of $10 per 1GB up to a maximum of 150GB extra data for a single month.
gotravelsim will also charge you if you sign up to a 12-month plan and cancel your service before the year is up. This charge is calculated as the monthly cost of your plan multiplied by the number of months remaining in your contract.
How does gotravelsim compare?
- A good amount of data for your dollar, especially on its 12-month plans
- Plenty of international call credit for keeping in contact with people back home
- Some local telcos offer more value for a month-to-month service
gotravelsim has plenty of competition in the SIM-only space. While it markets itself as a service for overseas residents working or studying here in Australia, it operates much the same as any other local SIM-only telco and thus opens itself up for direct comparison.
Why should you consider gotravelsim?
The pitch behind gotravelsim is solid: a cheap and simple mobile service for travellers coming to Australia. It delivers on this promise quite well, even if you can find a few competing plans from local telcos at a slightly cheaper rate.
gotravelsim's 12-month plans are especially attractive, beating out many leading Australian telcos on value. The inclusion of international credit makes them particularly appealing for travellers wanting to phone friends and family back home, although you'll want to check gotravelsim's international call rates to see how much talk time that credit actually translates to.