Milford Sound is New Zealand’s most Instagrammed destination
Does it surprise you much?
From captivating fjords and yawning lakes to sky-high mountain tops and magical glaciers, New Zealand is one of the most photogenic countries in the world.
When it comes to Instagram though, some places are more photogenic than others.
And when it comes to New Zealand, the place that shines the most is Milford Sound.
This is according to Instagram, which analysed all images geotagged to the country throughout 2017 to reveal a list of the top 10 most Instagrammed destinations in the nation.
Not far behind Milford Sound was the ever-popular pop-culture favourite Hobbiton Movie Set in Matamata.
Unsurprisingly, more than a few lakes made it onto the list with Lake Tekapo, Lake Wakatipu and Lake Pukaki rounding out the top 10. For sunseekers, Takapuna Beach also made the cut.
Of the list, general manager of Tourism New Zealand in Australia, Tony Saunders said, "New Zealand scenery is unrivalled and we know travellers love to share it with their followers. We’re not surprised to see Milford Sound take the number one spot this year. Rudyard Kipling has described it as the 'eighth wonder of the world' and it's breathtaking any time of year so we anticipate more Aussie visitors to take in the scenic views next year."
10 most Instagrammed New Zealand locations
- Milford Sound
- Hobbiton Movie Set, Matamata
- Lake Tekapo
- Mount Maunganui
- Aoraki Mount Cook
- Lake Wanaka, Central Otago
- Tongariro Alpine Crossing
- Takapuna Beach, Auckland
- Lake Wakatipu, Queenstown
- Lake Pukaki
- UPDATED: What to know about the Tasmanian border reopening
- Klook’s new tour brings a taste of Europe to the Hunter Valley: Here’s our review
- Queensland reopens its borders to NSW: Here’s what you need to know
- Review: What to expect from the Madame Tussauds Sydney TikTok challenge
- $4 million in travel vouchers for South Australians: Are you eligible?