Cheap flights to Mexico for 2021
Discover Mexico flight deals and special offers on flights from Australia.
We’re reader-supported and may be paid when you visit links to partner sites. We don’t compare all products in the market, but we’re working on it!
Mexico has a massive tourism industry thanks to its picturesque beaches, its Aztec and Mayan ruins, the cuisine and slower pace of life. There are more than 30 UNESCO World Heritage sites throughout the country.
Summer is the busiest time of year to visit and beach resorts fill up quickly. Luckily, you can find flight deals to Mexico all year round. Cancun and Mexico City are Mexico's busiest airports and the latter generally has more flight deals.
Mexico flight times
- From Sydney: 19 hrs 10 mins+ with a stopover, landing at Mexico City Juarez International Airport
- From Melbourne: 21 hrs 15 mins+ with a stopover, landing at Mexico City Juarez International Airport
- From Perth: 24 hrs 40 mins+ with a stopover, landing at Mexico City Juarez International Airport
- From Brisbane: 19 hrs 14 mins+ with a stopover, landing at Mexico City Juarez International Airport
Airlines that fly to Mexico
There aren't any airlines that fly non-stop between Mexico and Australia, but you can fly there with just one-stop with the following carriers:
- Air Canada
- American Airlines
- Virgin Australia
- If you plan to travel internally in Mexico, there are a variety of airports and airlines that offer low-cost travel. Aeromexico is the national carrier, while Interjet and Volaris and local airlines.
- Los Angeles (LAX), San Francisco (SFO) and Dallas (DFW) are the most common transit airports when flying from Australia. Keep in mind that if you are transiting through the United States (including Hawaii), you’ll need to meet US transit requirements including acquiring an ESTA visa and clear customs and baggage before boarding your connecting flight to Mexico.
- Visitors to Mexico have to fill out an immigration form called an FMM before or when landing. Keep hold of it as you’ll need it when you fly home again, and there’s an expensive fine if you lose it. You’ll also need to be prepared to ignore time-share representatives in the airport when landing and pay attention to your belongings as well, since pickpockets operate in the area.
- If you can’t, or prefer not to, fly via the US, you can get to Mexico with Air Canada via Vancouver and Toronto or with Emirates via Dubai and Panama. You can also get there from Tokyo since Aeromexico has direct flights to Mexico from Tokyo. If you travel via Canada, you’ll need to apply for an Electronic Travel Authorisation online.
Mexico City International Airport (MEX) is only five kilometres from the city centre and it’s easy to get around using the city’s public transport network. The Metrobus runs to city locations from Terminals 1 and 2, or you can take the subway from Terminal 1. An Airtrain connects the two terminals and you can find major car rental companies in both terminals.
Cancun International Airport (CUN) has a choice of cheap city buses and private buses to the city and to resorts, including Playa del Carmen. It’s worth checking if your hotel operates airport transfers. You can also find major car rental companies in the main terminal. There’s a free shuttle service between Terminals 2 and 3 every 10 minutes.
You should only use official taxis from the airport, which you can prepay for at booths in the Arrivals terminal. They charge according to destination and you’ll get a receipt to take to the taxi driver.
Unless you are only staying in Mexico City or in a beach resort, renting a car is a good idea. Roads are well-maintained compared to other Central American countries and rentals are cheap. It’s an ideal way to reach towns, national parks and beaches that are off the beaten track. You should always be extra diligent when driving in foreign counties. Reports are mixed regarding how safe driving is due to criminals targeting foreigners, so keep up to date with travel advice.
More guides on Finder
Where can I travel from Australia in 2021?
Discover exactly what you need to know about leaving Australia.
Things to do on Boxing Day in Melbourne 2021
Go out for brunch, hit the beach, cruise the waterways and more. Here's what to get up to on Boxing Day in Melbourne.
Moschino Black Friday sales 2021
Explore all the hottest Black Friday deals and discounts on offer throughout the online event at Moschino right here.
Adobe Black Friday sales 2021
Explore all the hottest Black Friday deals and discounts on offer throughout the event at Adobe right here.
DoorDash Black Friday sales 2021
Explore all the hottest Black Friday deals and discounts on offer throughout the online event at DoorDash right here.
LVLY Black Friday sales 2021
Explore all the hottest Black Friday deals and discounts on offer throughout the online event at Lvly right here.
Crazy Domains Black Friday sales 2021
Explore all the hottest Black Friday deals and discounts on offer throughout the online event at Crazy Domains right here.
CheapOair Black Friday deals in 2021
Score cheap flights locally and internationally with CheapOair's Black Friday deals.
8 picture-perfect Cairns resorts to book for 2021
Lose yourself in the top accommodation tropical north Queensland has to offer.
Qantas: Why ultra-long-haul is still the future
Airlines can survive coronavirus by pivoting to longer flights, as Linus Bauer from the University of London explains.
Ask an Expert