Worldwide flights from $1,779 return
Cheap flights to Mexico for 2022
Discover Mexico flight deals and special offers on flights from Australia.
We’re reader-supported and may be paid when you visit links to partner sites. We don’t compare all products in the market, but we’re working on it!
Mexico has a massive tourism industry thanks to its picturesque beaches, its Aztec and Mayan ruins, the cuisine and slower pace of life. There are more than 30 UNESCO World Heritage sites throughout the country.
Summer is the busiest time of year to visit and beach resorts fill up quickly. Luckily, you can find flight deals to Mexico all year round. Cancun and Mexico City are Mexico's busiest airports and the latter generally has more flight deals.
Mexico flight times
- From Sydney: 19 hrs 10 mins+ with a stopover, landing at Mexico City Juarez International Airport
- From Melbourne: 21 hrs 15 mins+ with a stopover, landing at Mexico City Juarez International Airport
- From Perth: 24 hrs 40 mins+ with a stopover, landing at Mexico City Juarez International Airport
- From Brisbane: 19 hrs 14 mins+ with a stopover, landing at Mexico City Juarez International Airport
Airlines that fly to Mexico
There aren't any airlines that fly non-stop between Mexico and Australia, but you can fly there with just one-stop with the following carriers:
- Air Canada
- American Airlines
- Virgin Australia
- If you plan to travel internally in Mexico, there are a variety of airports and airlines that offer low-cost travel. Aeromexico is the national carrier, while Interjet and Volaris and local airlines.
- Los Angeles (LAX), San Francisco (SFO) and Dallas (DFW) are the most common transit airports when flying from Australia. Keep in mind that if you are transiting through the United States (including Hawaii), you’ll need to meet US transit requirements including acquiring an ESTA visa and clear customs and baggage before boarding your connecting flight to Mexico.
- Visitors to Mexico have to fill out an immigration form called an FMM before or when landing. Keep hold of it as you’ll need it when you fly home again, and there’s an expensive fine if you lose it. You’ll also need to be prepared to ignore time-share representatives in the airport when landing and pay attention to your belongings as well, since pickpockets operate in the area.
- If you can’t, or prefer not to, fly via the US, you can get to Mexico with Air Canada via Vancouver and Toronto or with Emirates via Dubai and Panama. You can also get there from Tokyo since Aeromexico has direct flights to Mexico from Tokyo. If you travel via Canada, you’ll need to apply for an Electronic Travel Authorisation online.
Mexico City International Airport (MEX) is only five kilometres from the city centre and it’s easy to get around using the city’s public transport network. The Metrobus runs to city locations from Terminals 1 and 2, or you can take the subway from Terminal 1. An Airtrain connects the two terminals and you can find major car rental companies in both terminals.
Cancun International Airport (CUN) has a choice of cheap city buses and private buses to the city and to resorts, including Playa del Carmen. It’s worth checking if your hotel operates airport transfers. You can also find major car rental companies in the main terminal. There’s a free shuttle service between Terminals 2 and 3 every 10 minutes.
You should only use official taxis from the airport, which you can prepay for at booths in the Arrivals terminal. They charge according to destination and you’ll get a receipt to take to the taxi driver.
Unless you are only staying in Mexico City or in a beach resort, renting a car is a good idea. Roads are well-maintained compared to other Central American countries and rentals are cheap. It’s an ideal way to reach towns, national parks and beaches that are off the beaten track. You should always be extra diligent when driving in foreign counties. Reports are mixed regarding how safe driving is due to criminals targeting foreigners, so keep up to date with travel advice.
More guides on Finder
Greenest airlines in Australia
The Finder Green Awards have recognised the airlines who are committing to a greener future.
How airlines are keeping you safe during the pandemic
Fly Well packs, pre-screenings, increased cleaning and more. Here's what to expect when you fly again.
Cheap flights to Christchurch (CHC) you can book in 2022
From deals to travel times to airlines, we’ve got the information you need to book your flight to Christchurch.
Flexible flights: 15 airlines and sites where you can book
Want peace of mind on your next trip? These airlines are offering you flexibility when you need it most.
Cheap flights to Queensland you can book in 2022
Secure flights to Brisbane, Cairns, Gold Coast, Townsville and more with this guide to finding cheap flights to Queensland.
Cheap Lord Howe Island (LDH) flights for 2022
Find all of the flight and transportation information you need for your upcoming trip to Lord Howe Island.
Cheap flights to Newcastle (NTL) for 2022
Plan your trip to Newcastle with this guide that includes everything you need to know about booking flights and transport.
Cheap flights to Coffs Habour (CFS) and deals for 2022
Find out how much you should be paying for flights, the best time to book and transport options with our guide for booking flights to Coffs Harbour.
Cheap flights to Tasmania for 2022
From the best prices to where the airport is, here is everything you need to know about flying to Tasmania.
Australian Open flight deals for 2022
Find all the Australian Open 2022 flight deals right here.
Ask an Expert