MEWconnect mobile wallet review
Introducing the mobile “hardware wallet” from the team behind MyEtherWallet.
We’re reader-supported and may be paid when you visit links to partner sites. We don’t compare all products in the market, but we’re working on it!
MEW wallet is a free, open-source wallet for smartphones that can store and manage Ethereum (ETH) and ERC20 tokens. MEWconnect is the protocol that powers MyEtherWallet apps like MEW wallet and can be used by developers to make their own Ethereum compatible wallet.
RebrandThe MEW wallet mobile app, which is a smartphone version of MyEtherWallet, was previously known as MEWconnect. MEWconnect now instead refers to the technology used to power the MyEtherWallet ecosystem.
Built with a focus on security and dApp integration, the MEW wallet mobile app offers a feature-rich experience, which has helped the MyEtherWallet team maintain their status as industry leaders.
What is MEW wallet?
Billed as “a ‘hardware wallet’ without all the hardware”, MEW wallet is a free companion app for MyEtherWallet. The app is designed to allow you to interact with the Ethereum blockchain directly from your smartphone, providing a convenient and easy way to send, receive and store Ethereum-based tokens.
MEW wallet also allows you to access your wallet without typing your private key – you scan a QR code instead – and it stores your crypto private keys in a local, isolated and secure vault on your device.
Apple: iOS 10.0 or later (for iPhone 5 and above)
Android: N/A (beta version expected to be released September 2018)
Pros and cons
- Built and maintained by the MyEtherWallet team
- Store and manage ETH and all ERC20 tokens
- Free to download
- Wide range of security features to safeguard your funds
- You control your private key
- Not yet available for Android devices
- Other wallets may be slightly more user-friendly for beginners
- You’ll need to look elsewhere if you need to store non-Ethereum-based tokens
How much does it cost?
MEW wallet is free, open-source software that can be downloaded from Apple’s App Store. It will also soon be available from Google Play.
Please note that while you will be charged transaction fees when you send tokens from the wallet, those fees go to the miners working on the Ethereum blockchain and not to MyEtherWallet.
Which cryptocurrencies can it hold?
MEW connect allows you to store:
- Ethereum (ETH)
- Ethereum Classic (ETC)
- All ERC20 tokens
How do I set up MEW wallet?
How do I make payments with MEW wallet?
You can transfer tokens from your MEW wallet wallet by completing the following steps:
- Open the MEW wallet app and unlock your wallet.
- On your desktop computer, head to the MyEtherWallet site and click the “Send Ether & Tokens” tab.
- Select “MEW wallet” as the method of access.
- In the MEW wallet app, click “Scan to Connect” and then scan the QR code.
- Provide the details of your transaction. This includes filling out the “To Address”, “Amount to Send”, and “Gas Limit” fields.
- Confirm your transaction.
- You’ll be provided with a transaction ID so you can monitor the status of your payment.
How secure is MEW wallet?
MyEtherWallet is a popular wallet interface that was first released back in July 2015, so it certainly has some “runs on the board” in terms of the level of community trust it has acquired. The MEW wallet app also includes several features designed to ensure the security of your funds, including:
- Client-side encryption. Your private key is encrypted and stored in isolation on your smartphone. This means you don’t have to worry about your private key being exposed to any web browser.
- 2-way transaction verification. 2-factor authentication ensures that you can double-check the amount you are sending, and where you’re sending it, before you sign a transaction.
- Backup facility. By backing up your phone using the seed words provided, you can prevent unauthorised access to your funds and recover your wallet if you happen to lose your phone.
- Open-source software. MEW wallet is open source, so all of the code that runs MEW wallet and MyEtherWallet can be viewed and audited.
Where can I get MEW wallet?
The MEW wallet app is free to download from Apple’s App Store and Google Play. Simply download and install the app to your device and follow the setup instructions above to get started.
Compare crypto wallets
MEW wallet is a convenient wallet solution for smartphone users, however you might want to improve your security by upgrading to a hardware wallet, or simply see what other software options are out there. Compare your options in the table below or visit our comprehensive wallets guide.
Disclosure: At the time of writing the author holds ADA, ICX, IOTA, POWR and XLM.
More guides on Finder
Google Chromecast with Google TV review
Google's updated Chromecast now has a full interface of apps and is excellent value if you just want to add streaming apps to your existing TV.
Luno cryptocurrency exchange – review
Buy bitcoin and Ethereum with selected fiat currencies through Luno’s easy-to-use platform.
What is DeFi? Beginner’s guide to decentralised finance
Confused about DeFi? Find out how it works in this easy-to-read guide.
Review: Crypto.com cryptocurrency app and exchange
Learn more about the Crypto.com platform in our complete review.
PayPal for ecommerce sites review
Learn about the pros and cons of using PayPal to convert your online seller profits into Australian dollars in this detailed review.
Review: CoinDeal cryptocurrency exchange
Learn more about the pros and cons of trading on the CoinDeal cryptocurrency exchange.
Guarda Wallet – 2021 review
Learn more about the Guarda cryptocurrency wallet and find out how it works.
Revolut Australia hands-on review (after 1 month’s use)
My experience with Revolut Premium after using it for a month – signup, international transfers and more.
Review: Gemini cryptocurrency exchange
Read the Gemini cryptocurrency exchange review to walk through its features and see how it works.
Corazon cryptocurrency hardware wallet – April 2021 review
Find out why the Corazon is the world’s most expensive cryptocurrency hardware wallet.
Latest crypto guides
Ask an Expert