MEWconnect mobile wallet – October 2020 review
Introducing the mobile “hardware wallet” from the team behind MyEtherWallet.
We’re committed to our readers and editorial independence. We don’t compare all products in the market and may receive compensation when we refer you to our partners, but this does not influence our opinions or reviews. Learn more about Finder.
MyEtherWallet is a free, open-source tool for creating wallets to store and manage Ethereum (ETH) and ERC20 tokens. In September 2018, the MyEtherWallet team released MEWconnect, an official companion app for MyEtherWallet that lets you conveniently secure and manage your crypto tokens from your smartphone.
Built with a focus on security, MEWconnect offers a host of features to help safeguard your funds from hackers and thieves. Keep reading for a full review of MEWconnect, how it works and its pros and cons.
What is MEWconnect?
Billed as “a ‘hardware wallet’ without all the hardware”, MEWconnect is a free companion app for MyEtherWallet. The app is designed to allow you to interact with the Ethereum blockchain directly from your smartphone, providing a convenient and easy way to send, receive and store Ethereum-based tokens.
MEWconnect also allows you to access your wallet without typing your private key – you scan a QR code instead – and it stores your crypto private keys in a local, isolated and secure vault on your device.
Apple: iOS 10.0 or later (for iPhone 5 and above)
Android: N/A (beta version expected to be released September 2018)
Pros and cons
- Built and maintained by the MyEtherWallet team
- Store and manage ETH and all ERC20 tokens
- Free to download
- Wide range of security features to safeguard your funds
- You control your private key
- Not yet available for Android devices
- Other wallets may be slightly more user-friendly for beginners
- You’ll need to look elsewhere if you need to store non-Ethereum-based tokens
How much does it cost?
MEWconnect is free, open-source software that can be downloaded from Apple’s App Store. It will also soon be available from Google Play.
Please note that while you will be charged transaction fees when you send tokens from the wallet, those fees go to the miners working on the Ethereum blockchain and not to MyEtherWallet.
Which cryptocurrencies can it hold?
MEW connect allows you to store:
- Ethereum (ETH)
- Ethereum Classic (ETC)
- All ERC20 tokens
How do I set up a MEWconnect wallet?
How do I make payments with MEWconnect?
You can transfer tokens from your MEWconnect wallet by completing the following steps:
- Open the MEWconnect app and unlock your wallet.
- On your desktop computer, head to the MyEtherWallet site and click the “Send Ether & Tokens” tab.
- Select “MEWConnect” as the method of access.
- In the MEWconnect app, click “Scan to Connect” and then scan the QR code.
- Provide the details of your transaction. This includes filling out the “To Address”, “Amount to Send”, and “Gas Limit” fields.
- Confirm your transaction.
- You’ll be provided with a transaction ID so you can monitor the status of your payment.
How secure is MEWconnect?
MyEtherWallet is a popular wallet interface that was first released back in July 2015, so it certainly has some “runs on the board” in terms of the level of community trust it has acquired. The MEWconnect app also includes several features designed to ensure the security of your funds, including:
- Client-side encryption. Your private key is encrypted and stored in isolation on your smartphone. This means you don’t have to worry about your private key being exposed to any web browser.
- 2-way transaction verification. 2-factor authentication ensures that you can double-check the amount you are sending, and where you’re sending it, before you sign a transaction.
- Backup facility. By backing up your phone using the seed words provided, you can prevent unauthorised access to your funds and recover your wallet if you happen to lose your phone.
- Open-source software. MEWconnect is open source, so all of the code that runs MEWconnect and MyEtherWallet can be viewed and audited.
Where can I get MEWconnect?
MEWconnect is free to download from Apple’s App Store. Simply download and install the app to your device and follow the setup instructions above to get started.
A beta version of MEWconnect for Android is expected to be released in September 2018 but will initially only be available through the Hockey app.
Compare MEWconnect and the MyEtherWallet interface with a range of other crypto wallets and the features they offer. If you decide that MEWconnect is the right choice for you, download the app from your smartphone’s app store to get started.
Disclosure: At the time of writing the author holds ADA, ICX, IOTA, POWR and XLM.
More guides on Finder
Google Pixel 4a 5G review
The Pixel 4a adds a lot more than just 5G to the Pixel 4a recipe, and along the way it delivers a great smartphone experience.
Alienware Area 51 M17 R2 review
Dell pulls out all the stops for the Alienware Area 51 M17 R2, although it'll leave a hefty dent in your wallet – and your lap if you leave it there.
Review: CoinField cryptocurrency exchange
Learn more about the CoinField cryptocurrency exchange in this review.
Samsung Galaxy Watch 3 review
Samsung brings back its iconic rotating bezel to the smartwatch world, and with it regains the crown of best smartwatch for Android users.
What is DeFi? Beginner’s guide to decentralised finance
Confused about DeFi? Find out how it works in this easy-to-read guide.
Review: Crypto.com cryptocurrency app and exchange
Learn more about the Crypto.com platform in our complete review.
Samsung Galaxy Tab S6 Lite review
The Galaxy Tab S6 Lite is a worthy competitor to Apple's entry-level iPad, but Android's ongoing issues with tablet apps still leave it lagging behind Apple's efforts.
Aaptiv discount codes and coupons October 2020 | Unlimited access to thousands of workouts
Give your performance a boost with audio-based workouts for less with these Aaptiv promo codes.
Where can you go in New South Wales in October 2020? | NSW travel restrictions explained
As the state lifts travel bans put in place due to COVID-19, here's where you can go now, what you can do and what to keep in mind.
Latest crypto guides
Ask an Expert