MEWconnect mobile wallet review
Introducing the mobile “hardware wallet” from the team behind MyEtherWallet.
We’re reader-supported and may be paid when you visit links to partner sites. We don’t compare all products in the market, but we’re working on it!
MEW wallet is a free, open-source wallet for smartphones that can store and manage Ethereum (ETH) and ERC20 tokens. MEWconnect is the protocol that powers MyEtherWallet apps like MEW wallet and can be used by developers to make their own Ethereum compatible wallet.
Built with a focus on security and dApp integration, the MEW wallet mobile app offers a feature-rich experience, which has helped the MyEtherWallet team maintain their status as industry leaders.
What is MEW wallet?
Billed as “a ‘hardware wallet’ without all the hardware”, MEW wallet is a free companion app for MyEtherWallet. The app is designed to allow you to interact with the Ethereum blockchain directly from your smartphone, providing a convenient and easy way to send, receive and store Ethereum-based tokens.
MEW wallet also allows you to access your wallet without typing your private key – you scan a QR code instead – and it stores your crypto private keys in a local, isolated and secure vault on your device.
Apple: iOS 10.0 or later (for iPhone 5 and above)
Android: N/A (beta version expected to be released September 2018)
Pros and cons
- Built and maintained by the MyEtherWallet team
- Store and manage ETH and all ERC20 tokens
- Free to download
- Wide range of security features to safeguard your funds
- You control your private key
- Not yet available for Android devices
- Other wallets may be slightly more user-friendly for beginners
- You’ll need to look elsewhere if you need to store non-Ethereum-based tokens
How much does it cost?
MEW wallet is free, open-source software that can be downloaded from Apple’s App Store. It will also soon be available from Google Play.
Please note that while you will be charged transaction fees when you send tokens from the wallet, those fees go to the miners working on the Ethereum blockchain and not to MyEtherWallet.
Which cryptocurrencies can it hold?
MEW connect allows you to store:
- Ethereum (ETH)
- Ethereum Classic (ETC)
- All ERC20 tokens
How do I set up MEW wallet?
How do I make payments with MEW wallet?
You can transfer tokens from your MEW wallet wallet by completing the following steps:
- Open the MEW wallet app and unlock your wallet.
- On your desktop computer, head to the MyEtherWallet site and click the “Send Ether & Tokens” tab.
- Select “MEW wallet” as the method of access.
- In the MEW wallet app, click “Scan to Connect” and then scan the QR code.
- Provide the details of your transaction. This includes filling out the “To Address”, “Amount to Send”, and “Gas Limit” fields.
- Confirm your transaction.
- You’ll be provided with a transaction ID so you can monitor the status of your payment.
How secure is MEW wallet?
MyEtherWallet is a popular wallet interface that was first released back in July 2015, so it certainly has some “runs on the board” in terms of the level of community trust it has acquired. The MEW wallet app also includes several features designed to ensure the security of your funds, including:
- Client-side encryption. Your private key is encrypted and stored in isolation on your smartphone. This means you don’t have to worry about your private key being exposed to any web browser.
- 2-way transaction verification. 2-factor authentication ensures that you can double-check the amount you are sending, and where you’re sending it, before you sign a transaction.
- Backup facility. By backing up your phone using the seed words provided, you can prevent unauthorised access to your funds and recover your wallet if you happen to lose your phone.
- Open-source software. MEW wallet is open source, so all of the code that runs MEW wallet and MyEtherWallet can be viewed and audited.
Where can I get MEW wallet?
The MEW wallet app is free to download from Apple’s App Store and Google Play. Simply download and install the app to your device and follow the setup instructions above to get started.
Compare crypto wallets
MEW wallet is a convenient wallet solution for smartphone users, however you might want to improve your security by upgrading to a hardware wallet, or simply see what other software options are out there. Compare your options in the table below or visit our comprehensive wallets guide.
Disclosure: At the time of writing the author holds ADA, ICX, IOTA, POWR and XLM.
More guides on Finder
A beginner’s guide to Bitcoin and cryptocurrency ETFs
If you’re looking for ways to gain exposure to Bitcoin and other digital currencies, cryptocurrency ETFs could be worth exploring. Find out what crypto ETFs are and how they work in this introductory guide.
Mintable Review & Guide
If you are looking to start buying, selling and trading NFTs, Mintable is one of the best places to start.
Best Portfolio Trackers of 2021
Crypto portfolio trackers are a must to stay on top of your crypto investments. Here’s our list of the standout trackers to consider with pros and cons for each.
Argent wallet: Review and guide
Store cryptocurrency assets and open the world of decentralised finance (DeFi) from the Argent mobile crypto wallet.
Review: Celsius Network cryptocurrency lending and borrowing platform
An in-depth review of one of the most popular lending and interest earning platforms in cryptocurrency.
How to stake Chainlink (LINK)
Learn how to stake Chainlink (LINK) tokens and earn rewards through exchanges, lending services and node operation on the Chainlink network.
AscendEX (BitMax) Cryptocurrency Exchange Review
A complete review of the AscendEX exchange, covering trading and DeFi features, associated fees, regulation and security. Is AscendEX right for you?
DeFi and Web 3.0 wallets
Find out how a Web 3.0 wallet can allow you to access the world of DeFi, plus discover which wallets we recommend.
OpenSea review and guide
An in-depth review and guide to buying and selling NFTs on OpenSea.
NBA Top Shot review and guide
This in-depth NBA Top Shot review and guide will give you all the necessary information to decide whether you should buy NBA Top Shot NFTs.
Get into cryptocurrency
Ask an Expert