Mercedes-AMG GLE 63 S Coupe
The German brand's performance arm announces sleek new SUV with mild-hybrid powertrain
We’re reader-supported and may be paid when you visit links to partner sites. We don’t compare all products in the market, but we’re working on it!
Earlier this week, Mercedes-AMG announced the Mercedes-AMG GLE 63 S Coupe to complement its line-up of performance-centric SUVs. The new SUV will use a mild-hybrid system that can be called upon temporarily in order to boost performance. When active, it adds an additional 16kW of power and 250Nm of torque.
You might think that Mercedes-AMG already has enough bonkers SUVs in its line-up, but Chairman of the Board of Management of Mercedes-AMG disagrees, stating that "Our new GLE 63 Coupé rounds off our attractive portfolio in this segment. It meets the highest expectations in terms of design and exclusivity as well as excellent driving dynamics and agility. Thus, our latest SUC is an outstanding example of Performance Luxury made by AMG."
Key Mercedes-AMG GLE 63 S Coupe stats
|Engine||4.0-litre V8 with twin turbocharging and integrated EQ Boost starter-alternator|
|Transmission||SPEEDSHIFT TCT 9G|
+ 16kW from EQ Boost starter-alternator
|Fuel consumption (combined cycle)||11.5 l/100 km|
|0 - 100 km/h||3.8 seconds|
What we are looking forward to
- The 4.0-litre biturbo V8 with EQ Boost. This is the same engine that has been used in other Mercedes-AMG vehicles, but the reason we find it interesting is that it is quicker to 100 km/h (albeit only fractionally) than the previous GLE 63. The outgoing model featured a 5.5-litre twin-turbo engine and even with the higher capacity produced 430kW.
- New display visuals. The latest version of the infotainment system features a range of new graphics including 3D-look scales and animated representations for driver assistance, communication systems and more.
- Driving past a few more petrol stations! The new GLE 63 S Coupe will come with cylinder deactivation, meaning when you're cruising around town, the vehicle can shut off cylinders and reduce fuel consumption.
What we are keen to test
- Headroom. This is an obvious one. The sloping roofline does look sleek, but how practical is it in the vehicle. Will you be able to fit someone 6-foot plus in the back?
- Spirited cornering. The previous model received plenty of plaudits for its smile-inducing power that was virtually always on tap, but it was noted that it did feel heavy. We're hoping the GLE 63 S Coupe won't feel as top-heavy.
AMGs latest fire-breathing SUV may not be for everyone, with the performance SUV segment splitting opinion. Regardless of that, anything that has 450kW has my attention.
With the added torque from the EQ Boost, we are looking forward to getting our hands on the Mercedes-AMG GLE 63 S Coupe when it touches down later this year and will share more updates as we get them.
There should also be a new X6 M touching down in Australia in the first half of 2020, just to keep things interesting.
More guides on Finder
Why Ethereum’s price is outperforming Bitcoin after Saturday’s massive crash
Ethereum’s 30-day losses currently lie at 6.9%.
Finder Green Fave: Lush Yog Nog Shower Gel
This festive shower gel is vegan, gold and shiny, without any plastic glitter.
Bitcoin price plummets overnight – experts think more drops may be on the way
The past fortnight has seen Bitcoin’s losses mount to a staggering 17+%.
6 things to look out for when buying your next washing machine
SPONSORED: You could be using it every day for over a decade. It’s worth taking the time to get the decision right.
The beauty products you need to survive La Niña this summer
If you've been personally victimised by La Niña, these are the products you need for your hair, face and body this summer.
Australian sale events in 2021
Plan your shopping sprees ahead of time with our run-down of the biggest Australian online shopping events of 2021 and beyond.
What is property styling and is it worth it?
Boost your property's value and create a stunning first impression with property styling, but you also must consider the costs that come with it.
Lenovo Yoga 9i review: A stylish laptop that gets the important stuff right
Lenovo's Yoga 9i comes wrapped in luxury leather, delivering quality performance for its price while looking that extra bit stylish.
Finder Daily Deals: The 7 best deals in Australia today
Today's best online deals include: 45% off Dell 2-in-1 Laptops, 62% off Healthy Choice Air Fryer, 80% off at THE ICONIC.
Ask an Expert