Mercedes-AMG GLE 63 S Coupe
The German brand's performance arm announces sleek new SUV with mild-hybrid powertrain
We’re reader-supported and may be paid when you visit links to partner sites. We don’t compare all products in the market, but we’re working on it!
Earlier this week, Mercedes-AMG announced the Mercedes-AMG GLE 63 S Coupe to complement its line-up of performance-centric SUVs. The new SUV will use a mild-hybrid system that can be called upon temporarily in order to boost performance. When active, it adds an additional 16kW of power and 250Nm of torque.
You might think that Mercedes-AMG already has enough bonkers SUVs in its line-up, but Chairman of the Board of Management of Mercedes-AMG disagrees, stating that "Our new GLE 63 Coupé rounds off our attractive portfolio in this segment. It meets the highest expectations in terms of design and exclusivity as well as excellent driving dynamics and agility. Thus, our latest SUC is an outstanding example of Performance Luxury made by AMG."
Key Mercedes-AMG GLE 63 S Coupe stats
|Engine||4.0-litre V8 with twin turbocharging and integrated EQ Boost starter-alternator|
|Transmission||SPEEDSHIFT TCT 9G|
+ 16kW from EQ Boost starter-alternator
|Fuel consumption (combined cycle)||11.5 l/100 km|
|0 - 100 km/h||3.8 seconds|
What we are looking forward to
- The 4.0-litre biturbo V8 with EQ Boost. This is the same engine that has been used in other Mercedes-AMG vehicles, but the reason we find it interesting is that it is quicker to 100 km/h (albeit only fractionally) than the previous GLE 63. The outgoing model featured a 5.5-litre twin-turbo engine and even with the higher capacity produced 430kW.
- New display visuals. The latest version of the infotainment system features a range of new graphics including 3D-look scales and animated representations for driver assistance, communication systems and more.
- Driving past a few more petrol stations! The new GLE 63 S Coupe will come with cylinder deactivation, meaning when you're cruising around town, the vehicle can shut off cylinders and reduce fuel consumption.
What we are keen to test
- Headroom. This is an obvious one. The sloping roofline does look sleek, but how practical is it in the vehicle. Will you be able to fit someone 6-foot plus in the back?
- Spirited cornering. The previous model received plenty of plaudits for its smile-inducing power that was virtually always on tap, but it was noted that it did feel heavy. We're hoping the GLE 63 S Coupe won't feel as top-heavy.
AMGs latest fire-breathing SUV may not be for everyone, with the performance SUV segment splitting opinion. Regardless of that, anything that has 450kW has my attention.
With the added torque from the EQ Boost, we are looking forward to getting our hands on the Mercedes-AMG GLE 63 S Coupe when it touches down later this year and will share more updates as we get them.
There should also be a new X6 M touching down in Australia in the first half of 2020, just to keep things interesting.
More guides on Finder
Amazon Prime Day 2021 Australia: Early deals on now
Amazon Prime Day 2021 officially starts on June 21 - or does it? Here's a stack of early-bird deals you can get right now.
Amazon Prime Day top beauty buys: 40% off FOREO, GHD, L’Oreal
From makeup to skincare to haircare, these are the hot beauty offers we're expecting to see this Prime Day.
Paul Gallen vs Justis Huni: Fight time and how to watch live online
Undefeated heavyweight Justis Huni and former NRL star Paul Gallen will square off in what's being called Termination Day.
eBay kitchen EOFY sale: 75% off with these discount codes
Score up to 75% off cookwares and kitchen appliances when you add these 'hidden' discount codes during the eBay EFOY sale.
Why did the Coca Cola (NYSE:KO) share price drop?
Shares in the beverage maker had lifted nearly 15% since February.
Amazon Prime Day: Top hacks for Australians in the 2021 sales
From when to shop to how to split the cost of your purchase, we’ve got you covered this Prime Day.
How to invest in the Charger Metals IPO
Everything we know about the Charger Metals IPO, plus information on how to buy in.
Editor’s Picks from the Nasty Gal x We The Wild Ones new edit
Ultimate cool gals Lucy and Nikki just dropped the rock n roll edit of our dreams and here's how you can get 60% off at the checkout.
Finder Daily Deals: The 5 best online deals in Australia today
Today's best Finder Daily deals include: Amazon Prime Day early-bird deals, 25% off Lenovo Chromebooks, Bose audio clearance.
How to invest in the PEXA Group IPO
Everything we know about the PEXA Group IPO, plus information on how to buy in.
Ask an Expert