Mercedes-AMG GLE 63 S Coupe
The German brand's performance arm announces sleek new SUV with mild-hybrid powertrain
We’re reader-supported and may be paid when you visit links to partner sites. We don’t compare all products in the market, but we’re working on it!
Earlier this week, Mercedes-AMG announced the Mercedes-AMG GLE 63 S Coupe to complement its line-up of performance-centric SUVs. The new SUV will use a mild-hybrid system that can be called upon temporarily in order to boost performance. When active, it adds an additional 16kW of power and 250Nm of torque.
You might think that Mercedes-AMG already has enough bonkers SUVs in its line-up, but Chairman of the Board of Management of Mercedes-AMG disagrees, stating that "Our new GLE 63 Coupé rounds off our attractive portfolio in this segment. It meets the highest expectations in terms of design and exclusivity as well as excellent driving dynamics and agility. Thus, our latest SUC is an outstanding example of Performance Luxury made by AMG."
Key Mercedes-AMG GLE 63 S Coupe stats
|Engine||4.0-litre V8 with twin turbocharging and integrated EQ Boost starter-alternator|
|Transmission||SPEEDSHIFT TCT 9G|
+ 16kW from EQ Boost starter-alternator
|Fuel consumption (combined cycle)||11.5 l/100 km|
|0 - 100 km/h||3.8 seconds|
What we are looking forward to
- The 4.0-litre biturbo V8 with EQ Boost. This is the same engine that has been used in other Mercedes-AMG vehicles, but the reason we find it interesting is that it is quicker to 100 km/h (albeit only fractionally) than the previous GLE 63. The outgoing model featured a 5.5-litre twin-turbo engine and even with the higher capacity produced 430kW.
- New display visuals. The latest version of the infotainment system features a range of new graphics including 3D-look scales and animated representations for driver assistance, communication systems and more.
- Driving past a few more petrol stations! The new GLE 63 S Coupe will come with cylinder deactivation, meaning when you're cruising around town, the vehicle can shut off cylinders and reduce fuel consumption.
What we are keen to test
- Headroom. This is an obvious one. The sloping roofline does look sleek, but how practical is it in the vehicle. Will you be able to fit someone 6-foot plus in the back?
- Spirited cornering. The previous model received plenty of plaudits for its smile-inducing power that was virtually always on tap, but it was noted that it did feel heavy. We're hoping the GLE 63 S Coupe won't feel as top-heavy.
AMGs latest fire-breathing SUV may not be for everyone, with the performance SUV segment splitting opinion. Regardless of that, anything that has 450kW has my attention.
With the added torque from the EQ Boost, we are looking forward to getting our hands on the Mercedes-AMG GLE 63 S Coupe when it touches down later this year and will share more updates as we get them.
There should also be a new X6 M touching down in Australia in the first half of 2020, just to keep things interesting.
More guides on Finder
Mercedes-Benz G-Class luxury car insurance
Find out about how to insure the luxury Mercedes-AMG G 63 4x4 SUV.
Every hybrid car in Australia ranked
We've ranked every hybrid vehicle available in Australia.
Volvo XC60 Polestar Engineered Review: hands-on
Polestar's 331Kw family SUV is electric.
Tesla Model S Review
Compare expert reviews of the Tesla Model S
Renault Kadjar Review: Hands-on
The Nissan-Renault connection continues with the Qashqai-based Kadjar. The French brand's newest introduction into the Australian market sits between the Captur and Koleos in their SUV line-up.
Volvo S60 review: Luxury car at a family price
With the Volvo S60 T5 and S60 T8, the famed Swedish car manufacturer keeps the safety, then adds style, precision and economy.
2019 Alfa Romeo Stelvio Review
Why would you go for the Alfa over its rivals? Italian styling, a high level of safety assists and an SUV that's actually exciting!
Check out the new Mercedes-AMG entry models
The new Mercedes-AMG hot hatch and performance sedan models are heading to Australia.
New Audi S8 confirmed
Audi lifts the lid on its new luxury performance S8 sedan.
Mercedes announces new GLE prices & specs
The Mercedes-Benz GLE has been given an upgrade. Here's everything you need to know.
Ask an Expert