10 perfect Melbourne hotels for families who love to travel together
Family-friendly accommodation that offers spacious rooms, activity packs and play areas.
We’re reader-supported and may be paid when you visit links to partner sites. We don’t compare all products in the market, but we’re working on it!
Travelling with kids is both challenging and exciting. Making sure that their hotel stay is a memorable one can help fuel their sense of adventure later on in life.
So what should you look for?
For a start, a family-friendly room large enough to cater to your whole brood is a must.
You'll also want handy transport options and close proximity to family-friendly attractions and activities. Other options to consider included availability of cribs for babies, play areas and on-demand movies.
If you’re travelling with a family of three or a brood of six, these hotels can look after the lot of you. Promise.
Our picks for the best Melbourne hotels for families
1. Rydges on Swanston
Complete with family rooms and a swimming pool for kids, Rydges is a top choice for young families.
- One child under 6 stays free when using existing beds in the room
- Children under 2 stay free in cots/cribs
- Family room features two queen-sized beds and has a maximum occupancy of 4
2. Mercure Melbourne Treasury Gardens
Within walking distance of attractions such as Melbourne Treasury Gardens, Federation Square and the MCG, Mercure Melbourne Treasury Gardens makes discovering the city on foot easy.
- Children under 16 stay free when using existing beds in the booked room
- Superior room is able to accommodate families of 4
- In-room child minding service is available
3. Art Series: The Blackman
Stylish and modern, you wouldn’t think from the looks of this art-deco boutique that it would cater to families, but it does, offering babysitting services, twin suites for up to four guests and bicycle rental. It’s also metres away from Albert Park.
- Children under 12 stay free when using existing bed in booked room
- One child under 2 can stay free in a cot/crib
- Often offers family packages which can include scooter hire, art kits and family passes to Melbourne Zoo
4. Holiday Inn Melbourne on Flinders
The Holiday Inn brand provides some of the most child-friendly facilities available. Its suites can accommodate up to three people and its Flinders outfit often has family packages which include free meals and gift packs.
- Kids stay and eat free package lets kids under 12 eat breakfast, lunch and dinner free with an adult (limit of 4 kids per dining family)
- Children under 19 can stay free when using existing bedding in the booked room
- Cribs and rollaways available upon request
5. Quest on St Kilda Road
Apartment hotels and serviced apartments are a family-friendly choice. Quest's location on St Kilda Road offers family attractions at your fingertips including St Kilda Beach and Luna Park.
- Features a kitchenette and bathroom with bath tub for the little ones
- Family rooms available
- Children under 6 stay free when using existing bedding in the booked room
6. Cosmopolitan Hotel Melbourne
This boutique hotel in the heart of St Kilda oozes charm and with just 86 rooms, offers a private oasis.
- Two-bedroom studios available for larger families
- Children under 3 stay free when using existing bedding in booked room
- Free private on-site parking available
7. Hilton Melbourne South Wharf
Hilton's South Wharf branch is a 20-minute walk from Southern Cross station, has rooms to accommodate families of four and includes a babysitting service.
- One child under 4 can stay free when using existing bedding in the booked room
- Extra beds/cots can be added upon request
- Often offers family packages which can include passes to attractions, buffet breakfast and in-house movies and popcorn
8. Stamford Plaza
The 5-star Stamford Plaza is moments away from St Paul’s Cathedral and Federation Square, is. and boasts impressive child-friendly amenities including an on-site restaurant that serves pizza and pasta,amongst other delights.
- On-site baby minding service
- Children under 12 stay free when using existing beds in the booked room
- One child under 2 may stay free in a cot/crib
9. Novotel St Kilda
This 4-star Novotel hotel is on the doorstep of beachside St Kilda and its wealth of family friendly activities, and features an on-site children’s play area and kids' menus.
- Superior family suite can accommodate 2 adults and 2 children
- Late checkout on Sundays for families enjoying a weekend away
- 24-hour reception
10. Somerset on Elizabeth
This serviced residence offers a full kitchen in each room as well as an outdoor barbeque and courtyard area and tour desk.
- Children under 6 stay free when using existing beds in booked room
- Babysitting facilities available for a fee
- 2-Bedroom Deluxe rooms can cater for up to 5 guests
Compare facilities at the top hotels for families in Melbourne
|Hotel||Family room / 2 bedroom apartment||Interconnecting rooms||Cot/crib available||Nanny/child minding service||Child meal discounts||Kids stay free offer|
|Rydges on Swanston||Y||N||Y||Y||N||Y|
|Art Series: The Blackman||Y||N||Y||Y||N||Y|
|Holiday Inn Melbourne on Flinders||Y||Y||Y||Y||Y||Y|
|Mercure Melbourne Treasury Gardens||Y||N||N||Y||N||Y|
|Quest on St Kilda Road||Y||N||Y||Y||N||Y|
|Cosmopolitan Hotel Melbourne||Y||N||Y||N||N||Y|
|Hilton Melbourne South Wharf||Y||N||Y||Y||Y||Y|
|Novotel St Kilda||Y||N||Y||Y||N||N|
|Somerset on Elizabeth||Y||N||Y||Y||N||Y|
Search for more Melbourne hotels:
More guides on Finder
Best camping gazebos in Australia
Whether you’re heading to the beach or the bush, we’ve found the best camping gazebo for you.
Best caravan parks on the Sunshine Coast
Discover more than just idyllic beaches and untouched national parks along the Sunshine Coast.
Best caravan parks in Kingscliff
Find the perfect place to sleep in this laid-back town on the Tweed Coast.
Best caravan parks in Noosa
Find the best caravan parks in Noosa and discover the perfect base for exploring the Noosa everglades, Noosa National Park and even heading over to Fraser Island.
Caravan parks in Port Elliot
Discover the perfect spot at the perfect price for your campervan along the coast of the Fleurieu Peninsula.
Campervan hire in Perth | Where to book, what to know
Whether you’re headed into the outback or along the coast, make your trip that bit smoother with the perfect campervan.
Best travel pillows in Australia
We found the 7 best travel pillows to help you rest easy on your next journey.
Best travel backpacks in Australia
If you’re looking for the perfect travel backpack, we help you find the best luggage for your next trip.
Which airline stocks are beating the rest in 2020?
SPONSORED: 10 air travel stocks that are winning despite COVID-19 restrictions.
Hotel health and safety measures that will help keep you safe during COVID-19
Have a safe stay on your next Australian getaway with these hotel health and safety measures.
Ask an Expert