10 romantic Melbourne hotels for couples looking for the perfect escape for two
Book one of these gorgeous hotels on your next romantic getaway to Australia’s culture capital.
Awash with niche cafes and bars, a heady music scene and some of the most colourful laneways in the country, Melbourne is a playground for the senses. Little wonder, therefore, that many couples choose it as a destination for a weekend getaway.
Many of the city’s hotels house sought-after bars and restaurants and are dressed with bold artworks and plush bedding, setting the scene for a romantic and indulgent visit. Here are our hot picks for the perfect Melbourne hotels for couples that are sure go down a storm with the other half.
1. Crown Towers
If you’re out to impress, Crown Towers does not disappoint. Stretching high above the city, this 5-star extravagance won the award for Australia’s Best Large Luxury Hotel at the 2013 Gourmet Traveller Travel Awards and boasts a 25m pool, two tennis courts and split-level gym.
- Stay in the Deluxe Villa Room. Pricey, but oh so worth it.
- Play with the high rollers in Crown Casino.
- Eat at Dinner by the one and only Heston Blumenthal.
2. Lyall Hotel & Spa
For an indulgent getaway where lifting a finger is just an option, choose the Lyall Hotel & Spa to relax, rejuvenate and be pampered. Privately owned and operated, this is a 5-star boutique hotel that has art galleries on each floor and an enticing Champagne Bar.
- Stay in the Platinum Suite. It features two fireplaces and a private outdoor terrace.
- Play inside the on-site spa.There are eight treatment rooms dedicated to hydrotherapy, relaxation and beauty.
- Eat at the on-site Bistro Lyall. Very handy for dropping into the Champagne Bar afterwards.
3. Stamford Plaza
Standing at the “Paris end” of Little Collins Street, the Stamford would be just as at home in a cosmopolitan hub such as New York or London. It sits right in the heart of the action with fashion stores, theatres and fine dining on its doorstep.
- Stay in the 2-storey Penthouse Suite. Wake up each morning to views of the city and CBD
- Play at the theatre. The Regent, Athenaeum, Her Majesty’s and Capitol theatres are all nearby.
- Eat at Izakaya Den. Just across the street, this is a fashionable underground bar serving Japanese tapas.
4. Vibe Savoy Hotel Melbourne
For younger couples wanting a trendy escape without having to take out a mortgage, the Vibe Savoy Hotel is an affordable 4.5-star option. It offers a variety of room types and enviable city views.
- Stay in the Executive Room King. A little splurge with a lot to offer
- Play at Eureka Skydeck. Just a short walk away, this is the highest viewing deck in the Southern Hemisphere
- Eat at Merchant Osteria Veneta. Delectable Venetian dishes abound, as does the wine list.
5. Sofitel Melbourne on Collins
You will be spellbound from the moment you walk into the Sofitel. It enjoys sweeping views of the cityscape, an on-site beauty centre, floor-to-ceiling windows and a restaurant on the 35th floor.
- Stay in a Level 50 suite. You know you want to.
- Play at one of the local theatres. The hotel supports The Arts and promotes events within the city. Ask about its cultural packages and dining programs when you arrive.
- Eat at No35, the restaurant on the 35th floor. No explanation required.
6. Hilton Melbourne South Wharf
Those behind the Hilton brand know a good location when they see one, and in this case they have captured one of the best Melbourne has to offer. This Hilton sits right on the banks of the Yarra river, so whether you choose to stay in your room or venture out onto the boardwalk, you’re in for a pretty special view.
- Stay in a Hilton Executive Floor Room. These are on one of the higher levels of the hotel.
- Play at the Convention Centre and DFO South Wharf. Only a few minutes away.
- Eat downstairs at Dock 37 Bar & Kitchen. The fare is surf and turf.
7. Rydges Melbourne
Have a wonderful night’s sleep on a signature Rydges Dream Bed. You’ll wake refreshed and ready to check out the city’s shops, theatres and laneway cafes. Rydges is in the heart of Chinatown so there is plenty to explore.
- Stay in the Premier Spa Suite. May as well indulge yourself properly.
- Play at the Comedy Theatre. Just down the road.
- Eat in Chinatown. Afterwards you can go exploring for one of its hidden bars.
8. Park Hyatt Melbourne
Awarded the honour of No 2 hotel in Australia and New Zealand at the 2015 Conde Nast Readers’ Choice Awards (trumped only by Park Hyatt Sydney), the hotel’s reputation for personalised service and luxury is bound to win you over. The hotel is right across the road from beautiful Fitzroy Gardens where Captain Cook’s Cottage is situated.
- Stay in a Deluxe Room. Enjoy a king-sized bed, Italian marble bath and jetted spa tub.
- Play in the Park Club Health & Day Spa. Relax in pool or sauna, or enjoy a workout in the gym, on tennis court or in the training studio.
- Eat in the hotel’s Lounge & Gardens restaurant. The restaurant overlooks the Trilogy Gardens so you can enjoy the view as well as your meal.
9. Langham Hotel Melbourne
From intimate interiors to personalised service, this luxury hotel exudes charm and decadence. Lose yourself amid the city skyline from one of the suites or club rooms; or head to the rooftop pool and bask in the Langham’s stylish surrounds.
- Stay in the Club Spa Suite. Surround yourself with elegant antique-style furnishings and enjoy a spa made for two.
- Play in the Oriental-inspired Chuan Spa. According to the Conde Nast Readers’ Choice Awards it’s the 30th best spa experience in the world
- Eat at award-winning Melba Restaurant. Showcasing premium Victorian produce across a series of open kitchens, this is a delicious and immersive food experience.
10. Ovolo Laneways
This boutique hotel’s design was inspired by the colourful laneways of Melbourne, and it has garnered quite a following over the years for its youthful, vibrant, unique and quintessentially “Melbourne” feel. If you have a penchant for fun and quirk then you will adore this experience.
- Stay in the Studio Suite. The perfect place for two
- Play in Melbourne’s graffiti laneways. A great location for some memorable photos.
- Eat at Movida. A popular destination for sampling Spanish tapas, and just a five-minute walk away.
Search for more hotels in Melbourne
Ask an Expert