If you are planning a trip to Melbourne, this guide will tell you everything you need to know about flights to and from Melbourne Airport (Tullamarine), Avalon Airport and Essendon Airport.
It also covers transport options to and from Melbourne city.
See our latest Melbourne flight deals
Search for flights to Melbourne
How much can you expect to pay for cheap flights to Melbourne?
From domestic locations, Melbourne can be reached within three and a half hours. Here's what's considered to be a good deal compared to the average cost of a domestic flight to Melbourne.
Sydney to Melbourne flights
Brisbane to Melbourne flights
Perth to Melbourne flights
Adelaide to Melbourne flights
Melbourne flight time
- From Sydney: Approximately 1 hr 25 mins + when flying direct to Melbourne Tullamarine Airport
- From Brisbane: Approximately 2 hrs 10 mins + when flying direct to Melbourne Tullamarine Airport
- From Perth: Approximately 3 hrs 30 mins + when flying direct to Melbourne Tullamarine Airport
- From Adelaide: Approximately 1 hr 20 mins + when flying direct to Melbourne Tullamarine Airport
Airlines that fly to Melbourne
- Virgin Australia
Melbourne insider flight tips
- Melbourne Airport (Tullamarine) is the primary domestic and international airport serving Melbourne. Avalon Airport is located a little further from the city and serves as the secondary airport for Melbourne. Essendon Airport is a smaller suburban airport that offers small number from domestic and regional airports.
- If you are staying in Melbourne CBD or the surrounding areas, you will find Tullamarine Airport to be the most convenient airport to fly into in terms of proximity and convenience. If you're looking for the most cost-effective option, you will find that the cheapest flights into Melbourne fly into Avalon Airport.
How to get around Melbourne from the airport
Melbourne Airport (Tullamarine): Pre-booked airport transfers can be arranged with Viator and Jayride for door-to-door service from the airport. UBERBlack is available from the pick-up area just outside the arrival terminal and will cost $65–$85 to the city centre. UberX is available too, but not from the airport, for $30–$40. The Skybus runs every 10 minutes to and from the airport. It costs $18.75 when you prebook however you can get this cheaper by booking through Klook. Rental cars are available from the desks in the arrival halls, and taxis are available from the ground floor outside all terminals. Public bus services are available from the transport hub on the ground floor.
Avalon Airport: Car hire is available inside the airport from the arrival terminal. The drive takes about 45 minutes to Melbourne CBD. Skybus runs an Avalon Airport express service to and from Melbourne CBD. The ticket price is $22 per adult traveller, one way however you can get this cheaper by booking through Klook. Uber is available from designated pick-up and drop off areas just outside the terminal. The fare to Melbourne CBD is $65–$94. Taxis are available from the taxi ranks outside the terminal.