We’re reader-supported and may be paid when you visit links to partner sites. We don’t compare all products in the market, but we’re working on it!
If you have lost a loved one due to medical neglect or have suffered personal injury as a result of poor medical care, you may need to get in touch with a medical negligence lawyer. Find out where to get free quotes and learn how they can help you get compensation for your claim.
Where can I find a medical negligence lawyer online?
We update our data regularly, but information can change between updates. Confirm details with the provider you're interested in before making a decision.
What is a medical negligence lawyer?
When your healthcare provider fails in their duty of care to look after your best interests as their patient, they are liable for medical negligence.
A medical negligence lawyer is an expert in the field of medical negligence or malpractice, and they can help you file a complaint if you or a loved one has suffered harm or loss as a result of neglectful health practices.
When should I use a medical negligence lawyer?
If you think your medical practitioner has been negligent in your treatment, you could have a case against them. It is always best practice to get a second opinion from a similar healthcare professional to make sure your claim is valid.
You may need a medical negligence lawyer if your doctor has acted in any of the following ways:
- Misdiagnosis of a health condition, leading to inappropriate treatment
- Failure to diagnose a condition, leading to harm
- Diagnosis is delayed due to negligence
- Patient not referred to a specialist
- Failing to inform the patient of risks of treatment or prescriptions
- Careless in surgery procedures
- Incorrect or negligent reporting of test results
- Mistreatment of patient post-surgery.
What services are typically included?
A lawyer will first review your claim to see if you have a case. Medical negligence applies to any healthcare provider, including your doctor, nurse, dentist, therapist or technician, who has failed in their duty of care.
A medical negligence lawyer's services usually include:
- Reviewing the plaintiff's condition via independent medical examinations
- Analysis and resourcing of medical records relevant to the plaintiff's case
- Interviewing medical experts to develop supporting evidence
- Acquiring third-party depositions from healthcare experts
- Consulting with legal nurses to review medical reports and clinical notes
- Drafting motions
- Developing trial strategy.
Medical negligence lawyers generally specialise in a certain area of the medical field. For instance, working on a case of medical misdiagnosis is not the same as working on a case involving dental malpractice. Therefore, it's important to the outcome of your case that you work with a lawyer whose area of expertise is relevant to your case.
Medical negligence lawyer vs medical malpractice attorney
A medical malpractice attorney is a term primarily used in America. It is essentially the same as a medical negligence lawyer.
How effective is a medical negligence lawyer?
An effective medical negligence lawyer is resourceful and understands how the medical field works. They can interpret medical records and doctor's notes, and they know who to contact for evidence gathering. More importantly, they have experience in the plaintiff's condition and similar cases as your own.
Do I need a medical negligence lawyer?
Provided you have a valid claim, you will need a medical negligence lawyer to help you negotiate the complex proceedings leading up to and including mediation in court. If you can prove medical negligence, then you have a legitimate case and getting a free quote is your first step.
How do I get a free quote?
Searching online for legal services will produce many sites offering free and fixed-fee quotes. Before you request a quote, make sure you have all the necessary documentation, like medical records, in order. This will help you get the best service and an appropriate lawyer for your case.
Here's some information on where to find free medical negligence lawyer quotes and online legal resources:
- LawPartners have an impressive case history and many industry accreditations and awards. They offer No Win, No Fee options and guarantee a 99% success rate. Their area of expertise is personal injury, but they also try motor vehicle and workplace accidents. Call or email for a quote.
- LegalAdvice has a large number of online lawyers specialising in different areas, including medical negligence. Requesting a free quote is easy through their online contact form. You can also schedule a call-back time when it's convenient for you to discuss your claim.
- Revolution Law is a family-run law firm that specialises in medical negligence. Their team consists of senior lawyers, special counsel, junior lawyers, and paralegals. Your first consultation is free and they offer a No Win, No Fee policy. There are several ways of getting in touch, including email, fax or phone.
More guides on Finder
Cancer health insurance in Australia
Health insurance for cancer improves on what Medicare covers by giving you more control and quicker treatment.
Health insurance for sleep apnoea
Think you may have sleep apnoea? Here's what you need to know about public and private healthcare cover.
New Zealand travel bubble: Should I get travel insurance?
A quarantine-free travel bubble will allow Aussies to travel from 19 April. Before you book, here's what travel insurance will and won't cover you for.
How to start an alterations business
What you need to know before launching an alterations business.
Wills and estate lawyers in Sydney
Avoid unwanted disputes about your will and estate when you’re no longer around.
If you think you’re facing discrimination in the workplace, or in your everyday life, you can recruit the help of a specialist lawyer.
Industrial relations lawyers
Find out how an industrial relations lawyer can support your workplace’s commitment to excellence.
Find out about the services offered by tort lawyers and where to get free quotes online.
Property dispute lawyer (free quote)
You have exclusive rights to using, renting and selling your property. If issues arise, you can use a property dispute lawyer to resolve them.
What a professional strata lawyer does and how to find a free quote.
Ask an Expert