Find out if Medibank's 6 tailored hospital and extras insurance cover options are right for you.
Medibank is one of the largest names in Australian health insurance, providing private health insurance and health solutions to around 3.8 million Australians.
While you can mix and match for combined cover that best suits your needs, Medibank also offer combined packages for couples as well as growing and completed families on a range of budgets.
Top 3 features
- Good for if you want to mix and match.
- Good for comprehensive tailored packages for families.
- Beware if you are overwhelmed by a lot of choice.
Sign up deals with Medibank Health Insurance for May 2019
What package options are available?
If you are looking for specific levels of cover, then you can mix and match from any of Medibank's 7 hospital and 4 extras cover options. Alternatively, they provide 6 different combined package options:
- Medibank Basic Everyday Starter: Covering the very basics with limited extras and accident-only hospital cover, with prices starting from around $37 a week.
- Medibank Bronze Plus Growing Family: From around $56 a week, you can get family hospital cover for the most common treatments. This package doesn't include pregnancy and birth or assisted reproductive services under hospital, which will save you a lot but you still get some support during pregnancy through your extras cover.
- Medibank Silver Plus Families: For those not planning on having more children, this package gives you access to a broader range of hospital services that includes heart and vascular admissions, sleep studies and more for just under $70 a week. extras cover is tailored to support the whole family with your own choice of claim-back.
- Medibank Silver Plus Growing Family: For a few more dollars a week, this package gives you the same as Silver Plus but also includes extras cover that supports you through pregnancy.
- Medibank Gold Growing Family: A very comprehensive tailored package for around 88 dollars a week, this includes cover that gives you a private childbirth experience and provides you with plenty of support throughout your family's pregnancy, from the initial stages to long after giving birth.
- Medibank Gold Ultra Health: The most comprehensive tailored package on offer, this ideal for families who want the best care and don't want anything left to chance. With no excess on hospital services and 100% claim-back on extras, this package completely covers your family for just over 166 dollars a week.
Here are some of the services that are included in Medibank's packages:
|Bones, joints and muscle|
|Back, neck and spine|
|Podiatric surgery (provided by a registered podiatric surgeon)|
|Heart and vascular system|
|Plastic and reconstructive surgery (medically necessary)|
|Assisted reproductive services|
|Pain management with device|
|Dialysis for chronic kidney failure|
|Pregnancy and birth|
|Weight loss surgery|
|General dental||$300||70% back||70% back |
|70% back |
No annual limit with Ultra Gold
Other benefits of Medibank Package Cover
- No Excess for kids on a family membership: Despite what hospital excess you pay yourself, the excess won't apply if your children are on your membership and have to be admitted to hospital.
- 100% back on extras for kids up to annual limits at Members' Choice Providers, helping families save money on things like dental and optical.
- Rural and regional transport and accommodation support: If you travel more than 200km to get to and from your home to hospital Medibank will pay benefits towards costs associated with the travel and accommodation. This perk is included in all packages, even Basic Everyday Starter.
- Gold Ultra includes exclusive Ultra benefits like laser eye surgery.
- If you have extras cover for 2 months with Medibank, you can get 100% back on two dental check-ups every year, including x-rays, as long as you use a Members' Choice Advantage dentist.
How do the costs work?
Whenever you need to be admitted to hospital, you'll be charged the excess you selected on your policy. Depending on the level of cover you've gone with, your excess will be between $0 and $750 with Medibank.
Remember, this doesn't eliminate out-of-pocket expenses. If you receive treatment in a non-Members' Choice hospital, there will be some out-of-pocket costs. Similarly, If your doctor's charges come to an out-of-pocket cost of more than $500, then Medibank's GapCover will not help cover any of the gap.
Your extras policy will give you back between 55 and 100% of your treatment costs depending on which policy you choose. The money you get back gets subtracted from your annual limit for that treatment. It's also worth remembering that you have to serve waiting periods before you're allowed to claim on extras services you've used. These vary with each policy.
Waiting periods and limitations
Whether you're moving your hospital, extras cover, or both, there's generally a wait before you are able to claim on some items.
For instance, if you did not have hospital cover for sleep studies before and you have only recently changed cover to include this service, you'll have a 12 month waiting period before you have access to this service.
However, when you switch between health funds to a similar level of cover, Medibank won't make you re-serve waiting periods.
How to make a claim
The agreed private hospital you use will usually send bills directly to Medibank and Medicare.
Whenever there are out-of-pocket expenses - such as a gap or an excess - you may need to pay it directly to the hospital or medical practitioner.
If the hospital doesn't send an eligible bill directly to Medicare or Medibank, then don't worry, you can still send in a claims form within two years of receiving the service. That way Medibank will make sure you're reimbursed.
Extras services are even simpler. Just make sure you ask your health care provider if they offer on-the-spot claiming. Then, you simply swipe your Medibank membership card and your claim gets processed on the spot. After that, you just need to pay the balance.