Get 100% back on two dental checks a year with Medibank Hospital Cover
Medibank provides health cover to 3.7 million Australians, offering healthcare insurance and solutions. With eight different hospital policies to choose from, they provide basic and comprehensive cover alike.
Compare Medibank hospital cover options for you
What hospital covers are available?
Medibank offers eight different hospital cover options, which can be summarised as follows:
- Basic. This includes their most basic accident and ambulance option, as well as one that adds on a couple of basic treatments.
- Bronze. This includes two similar choices covering common procedures.
- Silver. These include options for a wider range of treatments than bronze.
- Gold. The most comprehensive cover option, including most hospital treatments.
|Hernia and appendix|
|Bones, joints and muscles|
|Back, neck and spine|
|Heart and vascular system|
|Plastic and reconstructive surgery|
|Pregnancy and birth|
|Assisted reproductive services|
Other benefits of Medibank Hospital Cover
In addition to the benefits outlined above, being a member of Medibank with their hospital cover gives you access to the following:
- Members' Choice providers. By getting treatment from a Members' Choice health provider, you can receive more back on your treatment than normal. This includes 100% back on up to two dental check-ups every year, plus 100% back on optical items up to your annual limit.
- 24/7 healthcare support. If you have Medibank hospital cover, you have access to around-the-clock assistance via the 24/7 Medibank Nurse.
- Accident cover boost. No matter what your level of cover, you will receive top-tier insurance benefits if you have an accident. This includes unlimited emergency ambulance transport cover.
How do the costs work?
When admitted to hospital, you will be charged the excess nominated on your policy, with further fees being covered as applicable by Medibank. Your excess will be somewhere between $0 - $750 depending on which cover you opt for. Remember that higher excesses will result in lower premiums.
Out-of-pocket costs may be incurred if you receive a treatment or service at a non-Members' Choice hospital or public hospital, or if you receive an in-hospital diagnostic (in which case Medibank will only cover 25% of the Medicare Benefits Scheme fee).
Waiting periods and limitations
The following waiting periods apply for Medibank's hospital cover:
- 1 day. For medically necessary transport by ambulance.
- 2 months. For general hospitalisation and rehabilitation, psychiatric services and palliative care.
- 12 months. For pre-existing conditions and pregnancy and birth.
How to make a claim
When making a claim, you can:
- Do it on the spot. If our health provider offers it, you can swipe your Medibank card.
- Make a claim online or via the Medibank app. You can lodge your claim on the Medibank website or via the app by uploading the relevant details and documents.
- By mail. Some claims will need to be settled by mailing in the claim form, receipts and invoices to Medibank.