Mercedes-Benz Fashion Week Australia (MBFWA) has started. Get in-the-know with our ultimate guide.
This week all eyes are on Australia, with the world tuning in to see the talent coming out of our sunny country. And what a grand time of year it is; fashion's elite, the best street-style stars you follow on Instagram and a handful of buyers and media from around the globe have flocked to Carriageworks in Sydney for a week of style. This year there's one small difference, the mothership company, IMG, announced the shift from the event previously held in April to kick off in May to better align our designers with the world circuit. Go us. Stay tuned here for updates, day-by-day low-downs, the official schedule and our favourite street style picks.
You might also like: A comprehensive guide to Australian Fashion Designers
~ Australian Fashion Week facts ~
- Australian Fashion Week was founded in 1996 by PR guru Simon Lock
- Wayne Cooper, Alex Perry and Akira Isogawa showcased collections in the debut event
- Simon Lock sold the event to IMG in 2005
- In 2006 the event was sponsored by Rosemount Estate wineries, name Rosemount Australian Fashion Week
- In 2011 the sponsorship was passed back to Mercedes-Benz, who remains the current major sponsor
- In 2013 MBFWA moved it's primary location from the Passenger terminal in Circular Quay to Carriageworks in Redfern
- Last year the Australian fashion industry celebrated 20 years of Fashion Week
~ Frequently asked questions ~
What does MBFWA stand for? Mercedes-Benz Fashion Week Australia
Where is Australian Fashion Week held? MBFWA is primarily held at Carriageworks in Redfern, Sydney with a small number of designers hosting events offsite at locations around Sydney. Last year saw runway shows held at the iconic Iceberg's Bar and Dining with Sydney's Bondi Beach as a backdrop.
Where do I register for Fashion Week Australia? Registrations are now open, click here to get your application under way.
When will the schedule/designers be announced? MBFWA are yet to announce the designers for this year's Fashion Week, we can expect to see this information be released in the coming months.
Can you volunteer to work on MBFWA? Yes. Miro House are taking applications for volunteers at this year's event.
See everything that happened at MBFWA 2017
Top trends from MBFWA
> Find a comprehensive guide to Australian fashion designers who have shown at MBFWA in previous years here.