Everything you need to know about Australian Fashion Week (MBFWA) 2021
This is your ultimate guide to the Mercedes-Benz Fashion Week Australia (MBFWA).
We’re reader-supported and may be paid when you visit links to partner sites. We don’t compare all products in the market, but we’re working on it!
As of 2021, Afterpay is the new sponsor of Australian Fashion Week. You can learn more about the Afterpay Australian Fashion Week.
MBFWA is when all eyes are on Australia, with the world tuning in to see the talent coming out of our sunny country. And what a grand time of year it is! Fashion's elite, the best street-style stars you follow on Instagram and a handful of buyers and media from around the globe flock to Sydney for a week of style.
There's one small difference between Australian Fashion Week and the rest. Our event in May isn't a week of Spring/Summer or Autumn/Winter collections - instead MBFWA is all about Resort collections. Go us.
Stay tuned here for updates, day-by-day low-downs, the official schedule and our favourite street style picks.
You might also like: A comprehensive guide to Australian Fashion Designers
~ Australian Fashion Week facts ~
- Australian Fashion Week was founded in 1996 by PR guru Simon Lock
- Wayne Cooper, Alex Perry and Akira Isogawa showcased collections in the debut event
- Simon Lock sold the event to IMG in 2005
- In 2006 the event was sponsored by Rosemount Estate wineries, name Rosemount Australian Fashion Week
- In 2011 the sponsorship was passed back to Mercedes-Benz, who remains the current major sponsor
- In 2013 MBFWA moved it's primary location from the Passenger terminal in Circular Quay to Carriageworks in Redfern
- The 2020 Australian Fashion Week show was cancelled due to COVID-19
- In 2020, it was announced that Afterpay would be the new sponsor, starting in 2021
~ Frequently asked questions ~
What does MBFWA stand for? Mercedes-Benz Fashion Week Australia
Where is Australian Fashion Week held? MBFWA is primarily held at Carriageworks in Redfern, Sydney with a small number of designers hosting events offsite at locations around Sydney. In the past, runway shows have been held at the iconic Iceberg's Bar and Dining with Sydney's Bondi Beach as a backdrop.
Where do I register for Fashion Week Australia? Registrations are still, click here to get your application under way.
When will the schedule/designers be announced? Click here to sign up to the newsletter.
Can you volunteer to work on MBFWA? Yes.
- MET Gala 2021: All the fabulous fashion moments and celebrity looks from the red carpet [UPDATED]
- Best fashion sales of the week: Shop 70% off for a limited time
- Our THE ICONIC sale top picks: 25% off big brands
- 35+ best Afterpay Day 2021 fashion sales: 70% off right now
- The best sales on rn to help you get through lockdown
Ask an Expert