Current mask rules in every state and territory (November 2022)
With COVID still a component of daily life, take a look at the face mask restrictions that affect you and your family.
Edit product set
COVID has been back-of-mind for most Australians throughout 2022, but that is beginning to change. A series of highly transmissible Omicron variants are set to cause a significant spoke in COVID cases.
Now is the perfect time to refresh your memory on when and where you are required to wear a face mask throughout Australia. We'll be keeping this page updated as governments change mask orders.
Given the extremely transmissible nature of the Omicron strain and its subvariants, N95, KN95 and P2 masks are now considered optimal by most experts. Check out our guide to the differences between these masks here.
Mask rules throughout Australia
Mask rules in New South Wales
Wearing a mask in NSW is recommended in the following settings:
- Indoor public spaces where you can't physically distance from others
- When visiting ages care settings
Mask rules in Victoria
Wearing a mask in Victoria is recommended in the following settings:
- For at least 7 days if you have COVID-19 or are a close contact outside of your home
- If you are caring for someone at home who is sick with COVID-19
- If you have any COVID-19 symptoms
- If you are with people who may be vulnerable to COVID-19
- If you are visiting or working in a sensitive setting such as hospitals and aged care facilities
- If you know you are at a higher risk of falling very sick with COVID-19
Mask rules in Queensland
Wearing a mask in Queensland is recommended in the following settings:
- If you're diagnosed with COVID-19 or have symptoms of an acute respiratory infections
- If you're a close contact
- Wherever you can't socially distance
- In healthcare settings
- On public transport and rideshares
- Indoors where you cannot socially distance
- If you're older or at risk
- If you are around an older person
Mask rules in Western Australia
Wearing a mask in Western Australia is recommended in the following settings:
- In crowded indoor spaces where physical distancing is not possible
Mask rules in South Australia
Wearing a mask in South Australia is recommended in the following settings:
- If you have recently tested positive for COVID-19 and you are in a public place
- If you are a close contact and you are in a public place
Mask rules in Tasmania
Wearing a mask in Tasmania is recommended in the following settings:
- Indoor settings, especially where physical distancing is not possible. This is highly recommended if you have COVID-19 and are infectious.
- If you are at higher risk of respiratory illness like COVID-19 and flu, or are in contact with others who are.
Mask rules in the Northern Territory
You must wear a face mask in the Northern Territory if you are over the age of 12 in the following settings:
- When visiting NT Health hospitals and health care facilities
Wearing a mask in the Northern Territory is recommended in the following settings:
- In indoor and outdoor settings where social distancing is not possible
Mask rules in the ACT
You must wear a face mask in the ACT if you are over the age of 12 in the following settings:
- When visiting or working in a high-risk setting, disability or aged care setting (including a residential premises)
Wearing a mask in the ACT is recommended in the following settings:
- Diagnosed persons entering a public indoor space if they need to leave the home
- Household contacts when in indoor spaces that are outside of the home or when on public transport.
Where to buy masks
Realising you need a greater supply of masks than you currently own? Check out the best vendors for buying face masks throughout Australia.Edit product set
Clinical Supplies is an Australian seller offering nationwide delivery. Deliveries are fully traceable and take 1–3 business days.
- Use code: HEALTH20 at checkout for 20% off KN95 masks
- Same day order processing
- Nation-wide shipping, from Sydney
- Have supplied hospitals, medical centres and frontline workers
- Bulk buy in packs of up to 400 masks
- TGA-, FDA- and CE-approved KN95 masks
- Fully traceable delivery (1–3 days)
Aussie Pharma Direct offers quality 100% Australian-made and owned healthcare products that meet Australian compliance standards.
- Cutting-edge nanofibre filter which filters 99.66% of airborne particulates
- P2 masks with a nanofibre filter that last longer than P2 masks
- 4 layers to help protect you against airborne viruses
- Certified P2 Aus/NZ standard AS/NZS 1716:2012 (N95 standard)
- TGA registered (ARTG #335981)
- Free shipping for orders over $50
Although Amazon doesn't stock first-class masks, similar P2 masks are available. You can find a wide range of P2 masks thanks to the variety of sellers at hand.
- Sign up to Amazon Prime and get free shipping and returns on some items
- Trusted online marketplace
- See customer ratings before buying