Market wrap up: The top ten movers of the week
Overall, it's been a good, if not hectic week for cryptocurrency traders.
As soon as anyone hears that I've got an interest in cryptocurrency trading, the question comes: What's the best cryptocurrency?
That's an impossible question to answer. But each Friday, we'll take a look at what's happened over the last seven days.
The big picture
As things stand at the time of writing (and they can change pretty quickly) the overall market is up from the same time last week. But in between last Friday and today, we saw prices climb steeply on Tuesday and Wednesday before jumping off a cliff and erasing most of those gains.
But, if you were patient, there were some solid gains. BTC is the bellwether for the market and its pricing movements for the week strongly correlate with most of the other major coins. It started the week at around the $8,400 dollar mark before jumping to almost $9,700 by the middle of the week before falling to $8,700 and then recovering back to a little over $9,300 at the time of writing.
The big movers
A look at CoinMarketCap shows the market cap of BTC is still the king of the mountain, followed by ETH and XRP rounding out the top three.
Here's the top 10 by market capitalisation and how their prices moved this week. EOS and BCH were the big movers when it came to price.
- Bitcoin (BTC) up by 11.43%
- Ethereum (ETH) up by 16.21%
- Ripple (XRP) up by 3.53%
- Bitcoin Cash (BCH) up by 44.5%
- EOS (EOS) up by 58.7%
- Litecoin (LTC) up by 3.61%
- Cardano (ADA) up by 6.16%
- Stellar (XLM) up by 9.78%
- IOTA (MIOTA) up by 13.19%
- NEO (NEO) up by 2.6%
But, when you look at which coins jumped by the most value over the week, there's a totally different list.
- Veros (VRS) up by > 9,000%
- ZClassic (ZCL) up by 490.85%
- Galactrum (ORE) up by 348.52%
- X-Coin (XCO) up by 286.53%
- StarChain (STC) up by 262.57%
- VoteCoin (VOT) up by 248.37%
- Hi Mutual Soc... (HMC) up by 219.31%
- SONO (SONO) up by 215.31%
- Mixin (XIN) up by 207.41%
- OceanChain (OC) up by 200.73%
The ten biggest losers:
- High Voltage (HVCO) down 84.75%
- Mincoin (MNC) down 69.41%
- Monster Byte (MBI) down 68.16%
- AvatarCoin (AV) down 66.62%
- CORION (COR) down 65.25%
- Ties.DB (TIE) down 64.71%
- CaliphCoin (CALC) down 61.91%
- SmileyCoin (SMLY) down 58.07%
- Crypto (CTO) down 57.08%
- GlassCoin (GLS) down 55.24%
Disclosure: At the time of writing, the author holds XLM, BTC, EOS, NEO, ETH and XRP.
- Ethereum within 2% of new all-time-high price as another global brand adopts NFTs
- Bitcoin’s stagnation is alarming and could be followed by more bearish price action
- Ethereum’s price rallies after adoption by a major Gulf State
- Bitcoin price is starting to look choppy and the US Fed may make it worse
- Ethereum’s price action heats up with overnight gains of 8% – here’s why ETH may surge further