From the modern capital of Kuala Lumpur to the mountainous region of Penang and the wild jungle of the Langkawi Islands, Malaysia is a country to explore from top to bottom.
Wherever you're planning to visit, we've provided you with our top picks of hotels throughout the country to help you see it all.
Our favourite Langkawi hotels
See all hotels in Langkawi
Our favourite Kuala Lumpur hotels
See all hotels in Kuala Lumpur
Our favourite Kota Kinabalu hotels
See all hotels in Kota Kinabalu
Our favourite Malacca hotels
See all hotels in Malacca
Our favourite Penang and Ipoh hotels
See all hotels in Penang and Ipoh
Our favourite Johor Bahru hotels
See all hotels in Johor Bahru
How did we pick these Malaysia hotels?
Our editorial team selected the Malaysia hotels on this list based on price, location and real customer feedback from hotel booking sites and review platforms. Where applicable, we used our own personal experiences to make recommendations.
Where to stay in Malaysia
- Langkawi: Langkawi is located 30km off the coast of northwestern Malaysia. It is a tropical paradise with clear waters, beautiful beaches and wild jungle. The 99 islands provide a rural and laid-back energy throughout.
- Kuala Lumpur (KL): KL is Malaysia's modern capital with its iconic landmark, the Petronas Twin Towers. Here you'll find skyscrapers, streets filled with food stalls and colour around every corner.
- Kota Kinabalu: On the northern tip of Borneo, Kota Kinabalu is a magnet for adventure seekers and nature lovers. The coastal city strides beach and forest and is often used as a springboard into Kinabalu National Park.
- Malacca: Famous for its Dutch architecture, Malacca sightseeing hotspots are a mix of churches, heritage houses and museums. For more modern sights, visit the beautiful domed Masjid Selat Melaka mosque and the Sky Tower Malacca, which is the city's highest point.
- Penang: Penang offers a mix of Asia and Europe in its architecture. Its diverse combination of culture makes the markets interesting to explore and not far from the main city of Georgetown is the sprawling jungle and mountain region.
- Ipoh: Ipoh is all hostels and luxury hotels; it’s heritage and new culture meshed together. From the historic laneways of shops and cafes to the freshly painted street art, Ipoh is a convenient place to stop when travelling through Malaysia and is famous for its white coffee.
- Johor Bahru: On the border of Singapore, Johor is an ideal entry point for travellers wishing to pop between the two nations. It features temples and heritage galleries for adults and LEGOLand and an Angry Birds theme park for the kids.
Which sites let me book Malaysia accommodation with free cancellation?
These sites let you make a refundable booking for your trip to Malaysia, so there's less risk of losing the cost of your stay or deposit. Some sites only offer free cancellation on select Malaysia hotels or at a slightly higher rate, so it's best to check the terms on your booking before confirming your stay.
Most sites, like Wotif or Expedia, will clearly state whether each Malaysia hotel is non-refundable.
See the latest coupon codes
Which sites let me use a coupon code to book Malaysia accommodation?
Using one of our coupon codes at these sites will save you money on your Malaysia stay. Some may ask you to pay for your stay upfront rather than on arrival in order to apply the code to your Malaysia booking, but the same cancellation policy does apply so if you are able to cancel, you'll be able to get refunded.
Which sites let me book Malaysia accommodation without a credit card?
If you don't have a credit card to make your Malaysia booking, but would like to reap the rewards of one, compare credit cards that offer hotel rewards here
Which Malaysia hotel booking sites have rewards programs?
Get access to cheaper prices, collect points toward free stays and get extra perks like Wi-Fi or breakfast if you book your Malaysia accommodation on sites like these:
- Wotif: Part of the same family, Wotif lets you access the same benefits as the Expedia Rewards program. You'll get access to lower rates and earn points, which can be used toward discounted stays in the future. Depending on how often you make bookings, you'll be able to get bigger discounts and earn more perks like breakfast.
- Agoda: PointsMAX lets you earn up to 6,000 points for your stay that you can put toward a preferred loyalty or frequent flyer program, including KrisFlyer and Velocity.
- Trip.com: Trip Coins is Trip.com's rewards program where you can earn $1 for every 100 Trip Coins. It's free to join the program. Membership tiers from Silver, Gold, Platinum and Diamond have different perks to enjoy.
- Hotels.com: Collect one stamp for every night's stay. Once you stay for 10 nights, you'll be able to redeem one free night up to the average value of your previous 10 nights.
- Expedia.com.au: Access lower rates as a member and earn Expedia points on bookings, which can be used toward discounted stays in the future. Different levels of membership get you access to deeper discounts and perks, such as free breakfasts.
- Marriott: The Marriott Bonvoy Benefits program lets you earn points towards free nights, access special member rates, get free Wi-Fi with your stay and check into your room via the mobile app. There are different status levels depending on how often you stay, starting with Silver Elite (10 nights per year).
Malaysia travel and hotel deals
Popular Travel coupon codes
|20 Sep 2021
||$60 off tandem skydives with code
|16 Aug 2021
||Up to 30% off Australia hotels + an extra 10% off with code
|16 Aug 2021
||Extra 10% off worldwide hotels with code
|11 Aug 2021
||Get 12% off Australia tours and experiences
|10 Aug 2021
||Get $24 off car hires with code
Image: Hatten Hotel Melaka