Macquarie Online Trading Account
Access Australian shares, ETFs and managed funds at home or on the go.
Macquarie is a leader in the Australian banking sector, known for its smart, digital platforms and offering a range of financial products and services for personal, business, corporate and institutional customers.
Macquarie has offered stockbroking services since 1985, enabling local investors to access Australian equities with competitive brokerage fees. Read on to learn more about Macquarie Online Trading including the key features, fees and trading levels available.
$19.95 or 0.12%
Standard brokerage fee for ASX shares
|Type of broker||
Exchange traded options
Exchange traded funds
|Standard brokerage||$19.95 or 0.12%|
Investment products available
- Australian shares. Access around 2,200 companies listed on the Australian Securities Exchange (ASX).
- Exchange traded funds (ETFs). ETFs can track commodities, bonds, indices or baskets of assets. You can trade Australian ETFs through the ASX.
- mFunds. These refer to unlisted managed funds settled using ASX operating rules. You can use your Macquarie Bank trading account to invest through the mFund Settlement Service, which allows you to easily diversify your portfolio.
Features of Macquarie Online Trading
Market data and research
Macquarie Bank trading account holders get access to the latest news from Dow Jones as well as the most up-to-date company information from Morningstar. You also get access to ASX quotes, watchlists, consensus research reports, company data and more.
Access your account on-the-go
Trading and monitoring your account is easy. You can do this online using a computer, smartphone or tablet. You can also trade over the phone.
When investing in shares, you get to buy and sell shares listed on the ASX.
Integrated cash account
Macquarie Online Trading is integrated with the Macquarie Cash Management Account, giving you full visibility of your finances and easy access to your funds when you need it.
Ideal for SMSFs
The Macquarie Online Trading Account gives you detailed investment reports, which is helpful if you have a self-managed super fund.
Four trading levels available
You can choose between four market data packages, each offering various levels of market data and charting. These vary in price, and more details on each level can be found below.
Standard brokerage rates
|Online trading||Cost per trade: $19.95 or 0.12% (whichever is greater)|
|Phone trading||Cost per trade: $49.95 or 0.30% (whichever is greater)|
|Per online application or redemption||$30 or 0.1% (whichever is greater)|
|Per over the phone application or redemption||$60 or 0.2% (whichever is greater)|
What trading levels are available?
The Macquarie Bank online trading account lets you choose from different market data packages. Services levels vary in accordance. The corresponding table shows details of your options.
|Market data package cost||ASX quotes||Market depth and detail||Watchlists||News and company announcements||Charting|
|Silver||Free||20-minute delayed||20-minute delayed||20-minute delayed||Live||20-minute delayed|
|Gold||$10 per month||Live||Live||Live||Live||Live|
|Platinum||Up to $22 per month||Streaming||Streaming||Streaming||Streaming||Live|
|WebIRESS||$79 per month||Streaming||Streaming||Streaming||Streaming||Advanced content, real-time|
With the Gold package, you simply have to click to refresh market data and prices. If you go the Platinum way, you have to pay the $22 monthly fee upfront, accrued at 6.6 cents per minute. You get a refund of the unused portion at the end of the month.
Existing Macquarie Bank online trading account holders can speak to a customer service representative over the phone, 8:30am to 6pm, Monday to Friday (AEST). You can also get in touch via email.
All online trading account holders get access to after-market email watchlists and portfolio updates, consensus research reports as well as company data surrounding dividends, corporate actions and profiles. No matter which market data package you select, you can also get email and SMS alerts. New and seasoned traders can benefit by going through an array of online educational material.
The pros and cons of Macquarie Online Trading
- Linked Macquarie Cash Management account. Use an integrated Macquarie Cash Management Account (CMA) to place and settle trades quickly. Check your CMA balance in real time, minimising the possibility of settlement failures.
- You can borrow to invest. If you wish to borrow to invest, you can borrow up to 95% of the required money to invest in or short sell shares. You get to monitor your investments’ performance in real time.
- Multiple market data packages. Choose from four market data packages based on your requirements.
- Mobile trading. Access your account on-the-go with mobile trading.
- No round-the-clock support. Clients can access phone support Monday to Friday 8:30am to 6:00pm only. No live chat support service available.
- Australian equities only. You cannot access international shares with a Macquarie Online Trading account.
The application process
If you’ve decided to open a Macquarie Online Trading account you can click the green “Go to Site” button on this page to go directly to Macquarie’s site where you can apply securely online. You can open a Macquarie online trading account as an individual, a joint account holder, a trust, a self-managed super fund, a company, a business, an incorporated association or an incorporated body.
You need to be over 18 years old and have an Australian residential address to open an account. Plus, you will be asked to verify your identity as part of the application process, which you can do using your driver’s license, passport and/or birth certificate. Macquarie will contact you if they require any extra details.
Once your identity is verified and your application is complete, you will get a Macquarie Online Trading account and a linked Macquarie Cash Management account opened in your name. You can now start trading.