Macau unveils $720 return flight + hotel packages
Macau bets on Aussies with a new 2 for 1 deal.
Macau has struck a deal with XiamenAir to give Australian travellers a solid two for one deal, bringing return Macau flights from only $768 per person on departures from Sydney or Melbourne, coupled with the chance to stay overnight in Xiamen for free.
These aren't the cheapest possible Macau flights, but they're still great value by any measure, when you consider they come with free accommodation and activities in picturesque Xiamen. "Merge the low air fare with some attractive accommodation offers and we have the makings of an affordable Macau experience” says Helen Wong, of the Macau Government Tourist Office.
It's the first time Macau and XiamenAir have struck a deal for Australians, and it looks like a strong start with passengers also being exempt from needing a China visa for Xiamen stays of up to 72 hours.
The deal was clearly struck at an ideal time as well. In 2016, more than 93,000 Australians made their way to Macau, most of whom caught a ferry out of Hong Kong.
We've done some digging into this deal, and if a bundled seaside holiday and cheap flights sounds like a better way to do Macau, we've found you can already book your flights here, and from $720 per person to boot. As all XiamenAir flights with a stopover of 6-24 hours in Xiamen automatically qualify for free hotel accommodation, once you book you'll just need to contact the airline for further details on how to secure your room.
The full price and package deal involves:
- Cheap flights
- Complimentary Xiamen accommodation, for up to 24 hours
- Free coach tours of the Xiamen, with an eye to the beaches and its colonial history
This deal is probably enough to sell most people on a holiday to Macau - via Xiamen instead of Hong Kong - but the tourism office is also releasing a range of promotions to help cement the deal further.
Starting on 6 July, you'll also be seeing some virtual reality expos around Sydney, featuring a 360-degree VR showings of the cities.
- Parramatta Westfield: 6 July to 9 July
- Castle Towers, Castle Hill: 20 July to 23 July
- Chatswood Chase: 3 August to 6 August
- Eastgardens Westfield - 17 August to 20 August
- Melbourne - To be announced
- Jetstar sale drops Hamilton Island fares from $99 a pop
- Virgin Australia sale drops fares from $69 across 300,000 seats
- First Jetstar sale of the year has $37 flights across Australia
- Take off from $75 in the latest Virgin Australia Happy Hour sale
- Fly across Australia from $99 with Qantas’s 2020 Boxing Day sale