Cheap flights to London for 2021
Find the best offers, sales and deals on flights to London from airports across Australia.
We’re reader-supported and may be paid when you visit links to partner sites. We don’t compare all products in the market, but we’re working on it!
London is a popular destination for Australians and an absolute must-visit. It has enough attractions, food, entertainment and shopping to keep any visitor occupied for weeks
One of the most appealing aspects of London is its close proximity to the rest of Europe. Hop on a train and within a couple of hours you can reach other popular parts of England and Scotland – and even Paris, Amsterdam and beyond via the Eurostar. Budget airlines also offer cheap flights to mainland Europe.
How long does it take to fly to London from Australia?
- From Brisbane: Approximately 22 hr 35 mins + with one stopover, landing at London Heathrow Airport
- From Sydney: Approximately 22 hrs 40 mins + with one stopover, landing at London Heathrow Airport
- From Melbourne: Approximately 22 hrs 40 mins + with one stopover, landing at London Heathrow Airport
- From Perth: Approximately 17 hrs 20 mins + direct, landing at London Heathrow Airport
Which airlines fly direct to London from Australia?
While Qantas is the only carrier to offer direct flights to London (from Perth), you can also get one-stop fares with airlines including:
- Cathay Pacific
- China Southern
- Singapore Airlines
When's the best time to book Christmas flights to London?
For the best savings, book in July. Booking three months in advance of any flight to London saves up to 4% on flights compared to the rest of the year. If you've missed this boat, booking later, around three weeks in advance can still save you a fair bit.
The first week of December has excellent departure prices with the cheapest being on the 8 of December.
Those spending Christmas in London can opt to return to Australia from the 25-27 of December for great flight deals. Prices peak after New Year's but start to fall from 15 January onward.
- Qantas operates direct flights to London Heathrow that will get you there in less than 18 hours.
- Standard flights to London operate with one stopover but you can often secure cheaper fares by changing twice or more. This can save money without adding too much to your travel time, but be sure to check that layover times are long enough to get to your connecting flight, especially if you need to change terminal or even local airport. Be aware of any differing luggage restrictions when flying with multiple airlines too.
- Given the size of Europe, it’s very common for travellers to book return flights that fly into London and take the return flight home from a different European city – most online flight booking agents have a “multi-city” option allowing this, with Paris and Amsterdam offering the most flights. Be aware that the alternative option of booking a one-way flight to one airport and a separate one-way flight from another airport to Australia is almost always a very expensive option.
- London is vast, with four international airports and various major train stations, so if you are travelling onwards be sure to use an online journey planner and work out how to get to the departure train station or airport before booking to ensure you have enough time.
Most flights from Australia to London will land at London Heathrow (LHR). Heathrow is around 25km from the city. A taxi ride can take up to over an hour and can cost around £50 depending on the time of day. The fastest option for reaching the city is the Heathrow Express which gets passengers to London Paddington in 15 minutes – it’s not cheap although savings can be made by booking in advance online. The Underground is more budget-friendly and has the advantage of connecting you to its huge network, including Kings Cross and Euston stations for trains to the rest of the UK. Those travelling further afield should take a look at National Express, which offers coach travel to London itself and other UK cities for bargain prices.
Some flights may get you into London Gatwick (LGW) which also has National Express coach services to London (Victoria) taking up to two hours. Alternatively, there’s a budget coach transfer company called easyBus. Gatwick is better connected by train than Heathrow with services to Victoria and other parts of London, including Luton Airport.
More guides on Finder
Handypay Green Loan
A Green Loan from Handypay could help you make your home more energy-efficient. Handypay green loans are available up to $75,000 on terms of up to 10 years.
Victoria floods: How much food spoilage will your home insurance cover?
There’s been over 25,000 power outages across Victoria. Home insurance can reimburse you for the food that’s gone to waste. Find out who here.
TCL 20SE Review: Great display but otherwise unremarkable
If you're after a low-cost mobile with a quality display, the TCL 20SE is appealing, but you'll otherwise be left wanting for app performance, camera quality and battery life.
Today’s ASX top stocks: Moneyme (MME ↑18.8%), Cd Private Equity Fund I (CD1 ↑18.5%)
The 10 biggest movers on the ASX for Tuesday 15 June 2021.
Amazon Prime Day: 60% off fashion deals you’re not going to want to miss
Bargain hunters - get ready to save on Nike, New Balance, Cotton On, Tommy Hilfiger, Calvin Klein and so much more.
Amazon Prime Day home deals to expect: Bose, iRobot and more
From home speakers to robot vacuums, these are the items to watch out for this Prime Day.
Staple items worth a splurge and how you can grab a cheeky 30% off all of them
We've got a cheeky 30% off at THE ICONIC so here are the staple items worth a splurge because the savings are too damn good.
THE ICONIC x Finder: Huge 30% off sale + 5 things to shop right now
THE ICONIC's massive sale is exclusive to Finder members and applies to over 40,000 must-have items.