Living DNA Review
Get a comprehensive DNA test with one of the most affordable kits on the market.
Living DNA is one of the world's largest Genomic testing services and offers accessible, competitively-priced DNA test kits. With a variety of kits, Living DNA makes it easy for you to learn more about yourself.
This review will compare the pros and cons of Living DNA — from examining its key features to uncovering any added costs to keep in mind — so that you can work out if Living DNA has the right kit for you.
About Living DNA
Headquartered in England, Living DNA has been making DNA testing more accessible since 2002. In 2019, LivingDNA released its DNA Starter Kit, an at-home DNA testing kit that cost just $59 — in doing so, the company set a new standard of affordability for at-home DNA tests.
How does testing with Living DNA work?
All you need to do is order a kit online via Living DNA's website and follow the packaging's instructions when your kit arrives. Usually, you'll have to provide a DNA sample, which could either be a saliva sample collected in a collection tube or from cheek cells via a swab test.
Ship the sample back to Living DNA's lab and you'll receive your results in a further eight to ten weeks.
Living DNA pricing
Living DNA offers four different kits, each at a different price point.
- Starter Kit (AU$89): Living DNA's no-frills testing kit comes with ancestry and trait analyses.
- Full Ancestry Kit (AU$169): This upgraded ancestry kit cross-matches your DNA with a wider range of regions. As a result, you can enjoy more comprehensive results, and even special DNA matching tools to identify distant relatives.
- Wellbeing Kit (AU$199): A kit that taps on your genetic traits to help you learn more about your health, wellness and medical predispositions.
- Wellbeing + Ancestry Kit (AU$259): A 2-in-1 kit that combines the benefits of ancestry tracing and an analysis of your wellbeing.
Please take note that shipping costs and transaction fees may also apply, depending on your selected service.
What features are there in a Living DNA kit?
Living DNA offers a larger variety of helpful DNA testing features, including the following:
- Complimentary DNA testing guide. If you're not sure which testing service to purchase, you can use Living DNA's free 7-day Email Course to identify your DNA testing priorities and ensure that your testing kit gets you exactly the information that you want.
- Comprehensive ancestry profiling. By comparing the markers in your DNA with that of their genetic database, Living DNA identifies your ethnic composition and regional origin. It even offers interesting information tidbits, like how your ancestors might have migrated across the world over time. Besides this, you can trace specific paternal and maternal family lines using Y-DNA and MtDNA tests. While basic ancestry services are available to Starter Kit users, Living DNA draws from a wider pool of data for Full Ancestry Kit users to get more comprehensive results
- Dietary profiling. With Living DNA's Wellbeing kit, you can find out how your DNA affects your nutrition and health. They examine 10 traits related to health and wellness, such as your ability to recover from an injury or speed of metabolism If you suspect that you have gluten or lactose intolerance, a Living DNA kit could sniff that out for you.
- Intuitive results. Information is presented through an intuitive dashboard, with attractive visuals like pie charts and clean analytics.
- Find distant relatives. Once you've determined your genetic make-up, you can even use Living DNA's matching tool and opt into their Family Networks feature to connect with global users and find out how much DNA you share.
- External DNA upload. For those who've already used an external DNA service such as MyHeritage or Ancestry.com, Living DNA allows you to upload your existing test results to get a more comprehensive genetic profile.
- Optional ancestry book. Living DNA creates a coffee table book that traces your family history.
Pros and cons
- Affordable prices for comprehensive services
- Integration with third party genetic test information
- Access to metabolic, dietary and fitness-related medical information
- Does not aggregate or sell your data
- Long wait times of up to 10 weeks for tests to arrive
- Users outside of Europe may experience lower accuracy in results due to a smaller pool of gene data
Living DNA offers ancestry and wellness kits to help you learn more about yourself. While its results have a longer wait time of eight to ten weeks, it stands out as one of the most affordable testers on the market — especially considering the comprehensiveness of their results. Ultimately, if you're looking for detailed DNA analyses, Living DNA could be a good overall choice for you.