Life Insurance for Loss of Limbs or Eye

Will life insurance cover loss of limbs or eye?

Losing a limb or the use of one of your eyes can seriously impact your ability to perform your normal work duties. Life insurance policies often provide what's known as total and permanent disability cover (TPD) which can offer benefits for:

  • Loss of two limbs
  • Loss of sight in both eyes
  • Loss of one limb and/or sight in one eye

Read on to learn more about the cover provided by TPD insurance or enter your details in the form below to receive quotes from different life insurance providers.

Compare TPD insurance quotes from these direct brands

Product details Maximum cover Maximum Entry Age Cooling-off
NobleOak TPD Insurance
NobleOak TPD Insurance
Get fully underwritten Total and Permanent Disability Insurance that can be customised to fit your occupational situation and financial circumstances. $5,000,000 64 30 Get quoteMore info
Real TPD Insurance
Real TPD Insurance
Optional TPD cover available with Real Family Life Insurance. Get up to $1 million in cover against total and permanent disablements. $1,000,000 64 30 Get quoteMore info

Compare Total and Permanent Disability Insurance Quotes

Please enter your full name
Please enter a valid email address
It's important to give us a valid phone number
Date of Birth
Coverage is the amount of money that you will be paid in the event of a claim. An insurance consultant can help you determine an appropriate amount. Calculator
Provides a lump sum payment if you become totally and permanently disabled and are unable to return to work.
Provides a lump sum payment if you suffer a serious medical condition. Cover can be taken out for 40-60 medical conditions depending on the policy you choose.
By submitting this form, you agree to the privacy policy
Get quotes

How is the loss of limb and/or eye covered by TPD Insurance?

Generally, a benefit for TPD Insurance will be paid if the insured has suffered the total and irrecoverable loss of the:

  • Sight of both eyes
  • Use of two limbs
  • Sight of one eye and use of one limb

A partial payment of the TPD benefit will be paid if you suffer the permanent loss of:

  • Use of one arm
  • One leg
  • Sight in one eye

Differences in payout figures

If you have trauma insurance the amount that you will receive will depend on the injury that you have. The amount of money that you will receive will be:

  • Full payments. You will generally receive the full amount of the policy when you lose both eyes, both feet, both hands, one hand and foot, one limb and an eye and your life.
  • Half payments. You will generally receive a half payment when you lose one hand, one foot, a thumb and an index finger on the one hand or the sight in one eye.

If you are working then you should be sure that you cover yourself against anything that can cause you to decrease the amount of hours that you are working and events that will cost you money. If you are working then you should be sure to get trauma insurance that covers against the loss of limbs and eyes. Many people will lose a limb or an eye over the course of their lives and the event can lead to decreased health, loss of work and increases in the medical costs that are associated with the illness.

Why get coverage for blindness?

If you are working then you should think about the impact of going blind and how it will affect you. If you go blind you may not be able to work and insurance will prevent a lot of stress during this time. If you are thinking of getting trauma insurance then you should consider:

  • Blindness coverage. Blindness and vision impairment coverage will be available with many different trauma insurance policies. If you are looking to get trauma insurance you should be sure that it covers blindness and vision impairment because it is so common.
  • The effect of blindness. If you are working and you develop blindness you will have to consider how it will affect you. Most people will rely on their income to pay for many of the day to day costs that arise and the bills. If you go blind then you may not be able to work and may find that you will not have enough money.
  • How coverage can help. If you find that you go blind and you are unable to work then the trauma insurance will help you in many ways. If you have trauma insurance then any of the medical costs that you incur that are related to the disability will be covered under the insurance. Furthermore, your income may be subsidised by the insurance for a period of time so you will have time to get back on your feet.

Receive a quote for TPD insurance

Richard Laycock

Richard is the Insurance Editor at finder, and has been wrangling insurance Product Disclosure Statements for the last 4 years. When he’s not helping Aussies make sense of the fine print, he can be found testing the quality of Aperol Spritzes in his new found home of New York. Richard studied Journalism at Macquarie University and The Missouri School of Journalism, and has a Tier 1 certification in General Advice for Life Insurance. He has also been published in CSO Australia and Dynamic Business.

Was this content helpful to you? No  Yes

Related Posts

Ask an Expert

You are about to post a question on

  • Do not enter personal information (eg. surname, phone number, bank details) as your question will be made public
  • is a financial comparison and information service, not a bank or product provider
  • We cannot provide you with personal advice or recommendations
  • Your answer might already be waiting – check previous questions below to see if yours has already been asked

Finder only provides general advice and factual information, so consider your own circumstances, or seek advice before you decide to act on our content. By submitting a question, you're accepting our Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy.
Ask a question
Go to site