With its capable cameras, high-capacity battery and very agreeable price, the LG K4 (2017) is a compelling smartphone for the budget-conscious.
For as tempting as the latest iPhone and Samsung Galaxy S handsets are, justifying the purchase of a $1,000+ device is a steep, steep ask. Unless your phone forms the nexus of your work and personal life, odds are the majority of fancy features premium smartphones offer will be overkill, and the advantages afforded by bleeding-edge hardware won't necessarily make up for their hefty price tag.
It's fortunate, then, that companies like LG offer plenty of affordable alternatives for those who don't need all the whiz-bang capabilities of the latest mobile technology. The LG K4 (2017) is a prime example of this. As the successor to the original K4 from 2016, the LG K4 (2017) combines low-cost hardware with a range of modern smartphone features suitable for casual phone users. Thanks to its budget-friendly price, this makes it an attractive option for young children, first-time phone buyers or anyone looking for a basic handset that doesn't skimp on features.
- 5-inch LCD display is a big improvement over the original K4's screen
- Despite its age, Android 6.0 remains a competent and capable operating system
- Higher-resolution sensors than you typically see at this price point
- Should be totally sufficient for basic photography
- Specs are modest even compared to other budget smartphones
- Light phone users should still find it adequate for basic functionality
- Pairing a 2,500mAh battery with low-power hardware is a recipe for impressive battery life
- LG's continued inclusion of a removable battery is great news for anyone always on the go
Pricing and availability
LG K4 (2017)
A basic smartphone for the budget-conscious
Stay connected without spending a fortune by picking up the simple and affordable LG K4 (2017).
- The LG K4 (2017) is available from retailers like DWI and Officeworks for around $149.
|Display size (inches)||5|
|Display resolution (pixels)||854 x 480|
|Pixels per inch (PPI)||195|
|Battery size (mAh)||2,500|
|Rear camera (1) resolution||5|
|Rear camera (1) aperture||f/2.6|
|Rear camera (2) resolution|
|Rear camera (2) aperture|
|Rear camera (3) resolution|
|Rear camera (3) aperture|
|Front camera (1) resolution||5|
|Front camera (1) aperture||f2.7|
|Front camera (2) resolution|
|Front camera (2) aperture|
|Network category speed||Category 4|
Latest LG news
5G, foldables and a whole lot of handsets are waiting to be unveiled at the MWC 2019, the world's biggest mobile show. Read more…
Crystal Sound OLED will turn the LG G8 ThinQ's screen into its own boombox. Read more…
The LG G8 ThinQ is expected to be unveiled at MWC 2019. Here's what we know about LG's new flagship already. Read more…