The LG G6 combines a solid design with an attractive set of mostly premium features in an appealing way.
- Premium performance
- Dual lens works well
- Improved battery life
- Integrated Google Assistant
- Quick fingerprint sensor
- Great display screen
- Attractive price point
- Odd launcher choices
- Big and bulky
- No dual SIM option for Australia
- No more removable battery
- Evolutionary, not revolutionary
LG’s G6 takes a simple approach to delivering premium value that works exceptionally well.
LG’s hopes were very high indeed for the modular LG G5. LG took big risks with the G5, opting for a modular approach that it saw as one potential future for the smartphone business. Sadly for LG, consumers didn’t come along for the ride, unimpressed with a phone that was difficult to use and felt poor in the hand for a device that was priced at a premium level.
So for the LG G6, the company went back to basics, designing a premium smartphone that looks the part while delivering some cutting-edge features. It’s not the most innovative approach, but it’s one that firmly sees it back on a path that should appeal to a much wider range of consumers.
- The large 5.7-inch screen and expansive 18:9 aspect ratio make for an attractive visual experience.
- Feels like a sturdy, premium phone.
- Secondary 13MP wide-angle lens lends itself well to landscape photography.
- Switching between standard and wide-angle lenses is seamless.
- Comfortably handled every app and game we threw at it.
- Delivers the snappiness you'd expect from a premium smartphone.
- A significant improvement over the G5's dismal battery life.
- No longer being able to remove the battery is slightly disappointing.
- An attractive premium smartphone that marks a return to form for LG.
Pricing and availability
With a bright and bold 5.7-inch screen, an IP68 water resistance rating and plenty of power under the hood, the LG G6 is a strong contender in the premium smartphone space.
- The LG G6 is currently retailing for around $550 to $600 at sites like Catch and Kogan.
LG G6 specs
Power, storage and battery
|Display size||5.7 inches|
|Resolution||1440 x 2880|
|Pixels per inch (PPI)||564|
|Rear camera megapixels||13MP + 13MP|
|Rear camera aperture size||f/1.8 + f/2.4|
|Front camera megapixels||5MP|
|Front camera aperture size||f/2.2|
|Dimensions||148.9mm x 71.9mm x 7.9mm|
|Network category speed||Category 11|
|Operating system||Android 7|
|External storage support||Up to 2TB|
Compare SIM-only plans for the LG G6
Latest LG phone news
5G phones are fast, but how well do they take photos in low-light situations? Read more…
The LG V50 ThinQ will arrive in Australia on 11 June for outright purchase or on contract through Telstra with a unique dual screen and some seriously premium capabilities. Read more…
Here are our early impressions of LG's next G-series phone, the LG G8 ThinQ. Read more…